Should I get a Mac?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

Australia's not a huge Mac country... primarily Windows based users here. Mac is slowly growing over here... but a drop in the sand in Australia overall compared to Windows machines.

Comment

• Eqvaliser
      • Apr 2008
      • 1.1.x

No....

This message is to short.....
      Vbulletin fan

Comment

• Jan Klerks
        • Jul 2002

10 points in this debate, quite valid ones too: http://collegetimes.us/top-10-reasons-why-mac-sucks/

Comment

• aussiefooty
          • Nov 2008
          • 6.0.X

You should just buy a normal laptop that has windows on it.
          Forget about buying a mac
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• aussiefooty
            • Nov 2008
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by wii
            Because I love the hardware of the Macs, I'm looking into other options too of course.
            You should be looking at what you NEED. All the essential stuff that you need.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Sergio68
              • May 2002
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Eqvaliser
              No....

This message is to short.....
              And wrong.
              Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
              Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sergio68
                And wrong.
                Perhaps not for his own reasons. Just because you like it, doesn't mean its the right choice

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Jan Klerks
                  10 points in this debate, quite valid ones too: http://collegetimes.us/top-10-reasons-why-mac-sucks/
                  There are maybe one or two valid points in that "debate." The rest are just hyperbole or grossly exaggerated falsehoods.
                  Forums

Comment

• RaceJunkie
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                    I think the point was, why have the need to boot into a separate operating system at all?

I'm not against Mac, but really if I want to play a game I don't want to have to go through an entire process just to start it. Should be just insert CD/DVD, click Start Game, and go.
                    It is with vM Fusion Ware

Originally posted by VonDoom
                    Ill never buy anything that only comes in white. ive seen some nasty ugly looking Macs because they get dirty quick. and smoke will make it an ugly yellow. other then that bring on the Macs.
                    Macs are great looking machines and only the low end mac book is white.

Originally posted by wii
                    Still in doubt, I look at the HP Envy 13 again, which looks great, but it's expensive.

The MacBooks are also great, but I don't like OSX that much, it looks like a kids operating system, all those animated icons and stuff, I really don't need that, and my main problem would be all those Windows only programs that I have to use, which I can't run on OSX, I know it can run Windows, but how well does that work for a computer that is not made for it?
                    When you look at the Envy don't you see a resemblance of a Mac? PC makers have been copying macs more and more lately. Even MS with Windows-7 has several OSX features.

This is an older article but interesting

OSX is far from a kids OS, it simply makes since. I too come from the Windows user base and have now been using OSX for the last three years. At first I had my doubts but I am extremely happy with my choice to switch.. The extra money yuo may spend on a Mac will soon be replace with not having to upgrade your OS every 3 years and when you do there will not be 6 versions all with a extreme price tag.. The last upgrade for OSX was $29.00 a complete os was $129.00 MS blows with there high prices.

If you are seriouly interested in a mac ask questions here I did.

Originally posted by Sergio68
                    If you have time to blow, get a windows
                    That was just funny

Originally posted by Jan Klerks
                    Who ever wrote that does not even have a clue. attached is a screen of a right click on a mac.

Originally posted by Quillz
                    There are maybe one or two valid points in that "debate." The rest are just hyperbole or grossly exaggerated falsehoods.
                    Agreed
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by RaceJunkie
                      It is with vM Fusion Ware
                      *facepalm*

Read my post again.

I think the point was, why have the need to boot into a separate operating system at all?

I'm not against Mac, but really if I want to play a game I don't want to have to go through an entire process just to start it. Should be just insert CD/DVD, click Start Game, and go.
                      This isn't Mac's fault, of course, just saying in general. I go with Windows for compatibility with the programs I have to use on a daily basis.

So, no, VMware Fusion isn't a viable substitute for a dedicated Windows box. And will probably never be, simply because you can't do to it what you can do with a physical machine.
                      Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• citrix
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Buy a PC

Comment

• flyah
                          • Oct 2009

I bought a Macbook White Unibody last Wednesday as my everyday school laptop. I find it cheaper than a normal Laptop.

Here in the Philippines, most of the laptops in the stores doesn't come with an OS so if you'll buy an average laptop, you'll need an additional $200.00 (Philippine Peso (PHP) 10,000) just to get you going.

A Compaq Presario CQ35-109TU Laptop (Pentium Dual Core, 2GB DDR2 Ram, 160GB HDD, Wifi B/G, 2hrs battery life, LED Display ) without Windows OS Costs $ 870.00 + $ 200.00 for Windows = $1070.00

while a Macbook White with an Intel C2D CPU, 2GB DDR3 Ram, 250GB HDD, Wifi B/G/N, 6.5hrs (not really 7hrs) with OSX costs only $ 940.00.

If I ever need windows, I installed Sun Virtual box with windows xp. =D

Comment

• Yves R.
                            vBulletin QA
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 5.6.X

OSX is far from a kids OS, it simply makes since.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	YRoqC.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	3677172

Well summed

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• RaceJunkie
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                              *facepalm*

Read my post again.

This isn't Mac's fault, of course, just saying in general. I go with Windows for compatibility with the programs I have to use on a daily basis.

So, no, VMware Fusion isn't a viable substitute for a dedicated Windows box. And will probably never be, simply because you can't do to it what you can do with a physical machine.
                              True, I was going on the (BOOT) word as you don't need to re-boot the mac to run windows or any .exe program while having Vm installed. You just click it and go.

For the first 6 months I used this method until I was able to afford the MAc version of the SW or found an alternative. I know that there is not an alternative for every Windows program out there so, if he indeed can't get away from Windows SW and don't like the VM idea then it's obvious a Windows PC will be his only solution.

I did not switch to Mac because I hated windows I wanted to try something new out of curiosity. It was after I started using Mac is when I grew more and more distant from the windows operating system. I still use Windows on a daily basis at work but that is about it.

Mac is not for everyone and not everyone can afford it, I think they are way over priced and if they were not so expensive more people would be apt to try them.. Hell I bought a $250.00 netbook for my 16yr old daughter for Christmas because I did not want to drop $1,000.00 on a Mab Book.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

Macs are great looking machines and only the low end mac book is white.
                                There aren't any black ones though. Personally, I hate the silver brushed metal look that is popular in electronics these days. At least most of the other computer manufacturers give you color choices. While not a final determining factor, not having a black case option is a factor in purchasing.

Others include a lack of touchscreen, local availability of hardware (no local stores carry macs), local availability of peripherals and upgrades, local availability of software, and cost. I could have gotten my daughter a Macbook for high school but ended up going with an HP touchscreen laptop for ease of use and compatibility with the school's network and software. For the extra cost, she got a touchscreen monitor, docking station, extra battery, additional keyboard and mouse and some other goodies.
                                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 21 Dec '09, 5:15am.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...