X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wii
    • Sep 2000
    • 3.8.x

Should I get a Mac?

I'm planning a new laptop purchase, as a longtime PC user, I actually like Windows, but I love the hardware of the Macs, should I get one, and just use Bootcamp in case I need Windows stuff, or should I just get a new Windows laptop?

Let me read your thoughts about this,

Thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

If you love Windows, then get a Windows laptop. You will get more computer for your money.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

If you want windows, get a windows based laptop. I actually really enjoy OSX on my laptop. But i wouldn't want to work from my laptop fulltime.

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Get a Mac. And install Windows if you really need it.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• Razasharp
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.7.x

I would only recommend a Mac for it's OS, which imo, is the biggest reason to get it - OS X is just awesome and miles better than windows.

If you prefer windows (god knows why!) then I see little point in getting a Mac.
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Razasharp
            I would only recommend a Mac for it's OS, which imo, is the biggest reason to get it - OS X is just awesome and miles better than windows.

If you prefer windows (god knows why!) then I see little point in getting a Mac.
            There are tons of small things, and large things that I don't like about OSX and that will stop me from ever using it as my main machine. I'm sure this is why many others don't use it. I've been using PC's and Macs since I was a tiny child. I prefer Windows to OSX for my every day life, there are some programs I'm not willing to give up. Oh, and gaming.

Comment

• Razasharp
              • Feb 2005
              • 3.7.x

OS X is just much more intuitive - all the little things add up. And now that I'm getting into coding/server administration, I love how it is unix based. I find I am a lot more productive with OS X in almost everything I do. But it's all down to personal choice - if you like windows, good for you... I know I wouldn't go back to it now.

For games I use the PS3 - most of the best games are on it, and a lot of the time exclusively for it.
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wii
                but I love the hardware of the Macs
                Macs stopped using any kind of proprietary hardware several years ago. Today it is processors and chipsets by Intel, video cards by ATI and NVIDIA and so forth. You should really compare Windows 7 Laptops and Mac Laptops. You can get a lot more oomph for your money with a Windows 7 laptop and also get touch screen laptops if you desire.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• goyo
                  • Dec 2002

I'm working on both of them...If You choose a Mac I'd recommend Parallels Desktop in situations where You need windows...it's really fast and you can work simultaneously...no need for Boot Camp/Reboot.

Otherwise my main computer running Windows and I'm satisfied with Windows 7 (not going to be a "switcher" anytime soon)...but I understand the Mac lovers...it's really depends on personal taste and work methods.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                    • May 2003

I'll never be happy until I have both.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• wii
                      • Sep 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Hmmm, doesn't seem easy, I really mean it when I say that I love the hardware, the design, the keyboard, the quiet fan, all that is great, I do see that I get better specs for the money with a Windows based laptop, but I won't get the same in design and all that, the closest I've seen are the new HP Envy series, but they are actually more expensive than Macs.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by wii
                        Hmmm, doesn't seem easy, I really mean it when I say that I love the hardware, the design, the keyboard, the quiet fan, all that is great, I do see that I get better specs for the money with a Windows based laptop, but I won't get the same in design and all that, the closest I've seen are the new HP Envy series, but they are actually more expensive than Macs.
                        You really shouldn't buy a computer based on how it looks though. =/
                        Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• wii
                          • Sep 2000
                          • 3.8.x

When I say design, it's a combination of screen, mousepad, fan noise, and all that...I would never buy anything just for the looks.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                            • Mar 2005

I prefer windows myself...

Comment

• wii
                              • Sep 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Can you elaborate on what you don't like about OSX? Maybe that could help me decide. Thanks

Originally posted by Zachery
                              There are tons of small things, and large things that I don't like about OSX and that will stop me from ever using it as my main machine. I'm sure this is why many others don't use it. I've been using PC's and Macs since I was a tiny child. I prefer Windows to OSX for my every day life, there are some programs I'm not willing to give up. Oh, and gaming.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...