Windows 7 - If You Got It, Do You Like It?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

Windows 7 - If You Got It, Do You Like It?

Well, since I was anti Vista and remained with XP on my main systems to avoid the entire Vista experience, which was totally rubbish IMO... W7 is fantastic from what I am finding for speed and stability thus far. We have Vista on one of our fairly new notebooks and it annoys the hell out of me, so I just avoid even using that notebook.

I haven't gone out and got a new operating system immediately since 95, which lets face it, that was a massive jump and improvement from 3.1 to Win 95... hence the immediate purchase. All others I have waited atleast 12 months before buying, 98, XP and even the one with Vista (ahhh), so that the majority of bugs and issues are resolved, developers have had enough time to actually get their versions out, etc.

That is the only issue right now, in that a good majority of software developers are still at Vista, so the majority of third party software installed is Vista compatible software, not W7 software. Living with that, though something to look forward too seeing changes in software over the next year.

So.... I absolutely love the new OS. Obviously a lot of work behind the scenes in getting this thing stable and fast... and it is fast. I read that MS had made a lot of changes to get more benefit from system architecture, though never took much notice of the words until I played with it. Well... they were right and it is a fast OS. Even runs on a good portion of netbooks that Vista wouldn't dream off doing, based on a chat the other day with the local computer tech guy. I'm impressed. You?
  • nuno
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

Slow file transfer. Apparently, this long standing MS Vista issue has been carried over into MS Windows 7.
    You're my Prince of Peace
    And I will live my life for You

Comment

• kyrgyz
      • Oct 2007

I don't have it yet. But I read (I hope right) W7 lets programs designed for XP run on it. Pretty cool feature if you have programs not yet updated for W7/Vista or not planning to pay extra for such updates.

P.S. I am still on XP and happy.

Comment

• unp
        • Oct 2008
        • 3.8.x

I am running 7 for few months now. I absolutely love it.
        I need a drink...

Comment

• unp
          • Oct 2008
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nuno
          Slow file transfer. Apparently, this long standing MS Vista issue has been carried over into MS Windows 7.
          That issue was sorted is Vista SP 1 itself.Never experienced it in 7.
          I need a drink...

Comment

• Razasharp
            • Feb 2005
            • 3.7.x

I gave windows all the chances I was - and am now so much happier (and productive) in OSX.

I did try W7 beta tho, and while I thought it was a massive improvement - it still doesn't come close to OSX. IMO.
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kyrgyz
              I don't have it yet. But I read (I hope right) W7 lets programs designed for XP run on it. Pretty cool feature if you have programs not yet updated for W7/Vista or not planning to pay extra for such updates.

P.S. I am still on XP and happy.
              You can download Microsoft Virtual PC and have your own XP in a window if you need it. I haven't needed it for anything except running IE6 for testing purposes. Windows 7 also has XP mode which allows XP applications to run seamlessly on your desktop. I haven't found anything that I needed that functionality for though. Even old Windows 95 disks that I bought when my kids were toddlers still work without problems in Windows 7.

Anyway, have been using one version of Windows 7 since January and it is a large improvement over XP and Vista. I can't stand looking at the archaic and useless XP desktop these days. Have all my computers upgraded to the retail version except my own. It will take me several hours to reinstall the OS and all my applications as there is no upgrade path from the RC. Just haven't had time yet.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dutchbb
                • Nov 2003
                • 3.8.x

Windows 7 is basically the way Vista should have been... But I'm a very happy mac user now, running any Windows OS in Parallels just reminds me what a good choice I made by spending a bit more on something else. All it takes is the guts to try it.

Comment

• henlyn
                  • Dec 2007

We purchased the 3 pack. Hubby put it on the PC, lap top, and my note book. Only one small problem and it's with the note book, no W7 driver for the keyboard, but used the old one and it works just fine.

Fast enough, less rubbish than Vista.... a big thumbs up here.

Oh! it's a clean install from XP, but an upgrade from Vista.

Comment

• Ian Cunningham
                    • Feb 2002

Yep, I've been running Windows 7 for a long while now and I love it. So much so my vbulletin forum is all about Windows 7 (www.w7forums.com)

If you are currently running Windows Vista, you'll notice a big performance jump when switching to W7... especially boot times. My current system boots in just over 20 seconds, which is great compared to Vista!
                    Laptop Forums

Comment

• terryfavors
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3.8.x

I'm still waiting on my FREE upgrade who knows when it will arrive?

Comment

• hitmancode47
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 3.8.x

I like windows 7, it is very reliable, speeds are excellent and compatibility is a lot better.

However, speeds when doing deletion and file transfer (From PC to Flashdrive and vice versa) is extremely slow! on XP it is a lot faster. Dont know why that is
                        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Loco.M
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 3.5.x

I've had it a while
                          seems like vista to me
                          not really that impressed
                          -- Web Developer for hire
                          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Cole2026
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 3.6.x

I have been using Windows 7 since build 7000. I have not run into any problems. It is an excellent operating system.

To compare, I tried Windows Vista for a month (SP1). It was a disaster of an OS, and the only reason it was on my computer for a month is because I was too lazy to reinstall XP.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Installed Windows 7 Into a VM environment with only 1GB of RAM allocated to it. Ran really well
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...