X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dutchbb
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat For IE users

Get Safari or Firefox, the style will look a lot better (round corners). IE isn't a very good browser anyway.

Safari download: http://www.apple.com/safari/
    Firefox download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html
  • Shamil.
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by dutchbb
    Get Safari or Firefox, the style will look a lot better (round corners). IE isn't a very good browser anyway.

Safari download: http://www.apple.com/safari/
    Firefox download: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html
    I prefer it without rounded corners, and having differences between browsers isn't good in my honest opinion. IE is a great browser. If it wasn't then why do people still use it?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• dutchbb
      • Nov 2003
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ct2k7
      I prefer it without rounded corners, and having differences between browsers isn't good in my honest opinion. IE is a great browser. If it wasn't then why do people still use it?
      The buttons are a lot nicer with rounded corners imo. Differences are only in IE because that browser still doesn't support css rounded corners in it's latest release (shame on you microsoft). Yeah a lot of people are using IE because they bought Windows and IE is on Windows. So they start using IE and never think about the fact that there may be better ones available.
      Last edited by dutchbb; Sat 24 Oct '09, 5:54am.

Comment

• Quillz
        • Nov 2004
        • 5.0.X

Did it not occur to you that some people might use IE, because... they like it? Also, many large corporations can't use anything but IE.
        Forums

Comment

• Shamil.
          • Feb 2008
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by dutchbb
          The buttons are a lot nicer with rounded corners imo. Differences are only in IE because that browser still doesn't support css rounded corners in it's latest release (shame on you microsoft). Yeah a lot of people are using IE because they bought Windows and IE is on Windows. So they start using IE and never think about the fact that there may be better ones available.
          The current implementations are specific to webkit.

Comment

• Jerz
            • Apr 2007
            • 3.8.x

Because WebKit and Gecko are the only two rendering engines that support CSS3's rounded-corner attribute. IE does not.

Comment

• dutchbb
              • Nov 2003
              • 3.8.x

The current implementations are specific to webkit.
              I know.

Originally posted by Quillz
              Did it not occur to you that some people might use IE, because... they like it? Also, many large corporations can't use anything but IE.
              I'm not saying that if you really like IE (for some odd reason) that you need to use something else just to see the vb style in all its glory. I'm just saying, if you are openminded, and you don't mind trying something else, then give it a try. It's no secret that IE has always been behind on security, features and standards when compared to other browsers. Most IE users use it because they just don't know better... BTW it should be a small step for those corporations to start using chrome or firefox. That's sounds like a fallacy to me.

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

There's nothing wrong with IE8 (of particular note). It's a massive step in the right direction. I would never use it as I have fallen in love with Chrome. If the site doesn't render properly in IE8 it's 99% the developer's fault.
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• simsim
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                  Nobody is initially using IE because of choice; people are fundamentally forced to use it because it pre-ships with their operating system. Let Microsoft remove it from being a by-product product and then we can assume people who'd go their way and install it actually do like it.
                  Last edited by simsim; Sat 24 Oct '09, 2:58pm. Reason: Added Quillz's quote...
                  You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Shamil.
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 4.2.X

Businesses use it becuase they have control over it.

Comment

• simsim
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 3.6.x

Businesses use it becuase they have control over it.
                      They wouldn't have control over Firefox if they used it? Businesses are forced to use IE because a large set of their web-based implementations, e.g. intranets, financial hubs, etc., were developed using specific Microsoft's proprietary and non-standard web technologies like ActiveX, which would lead to breaking all these platforms if they switched to open source and standards-complaint browsers like Firefox.
                      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• aussiefooty
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 6.0.X

Quillz,
                        Many people might be forced to use IE, however, the organisations and corporations should have a different browser just in case IE doesn't work. IE is full of bugs
                        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Shamil.
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 4.2.X

In many cases, no, security policies and such don't exist with FireFox.
                          IE isn't very buggy, but it's good enough to be used by me.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Dean C
                            There's nothing wrong with IE8 (of particular note). It's a massive step in the right direction. I would never use it as I have fallen in love with Chrome. If the site doesn't render properly in IE8 it's 99% the developer's fault.
                            Agreed.

I took a look at this site using IE, and saw it render just fine aside from one or two little bugs.

I prefer Firefox, but IE8 is becoming less of a pain to work with. Let's hope IE9 actually does implement some CSS3.
                            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• eJM
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.8.x

I really wish people would stop pretending they know why others use IE. I haven't seen any accurate statistics yet.

I first went online in 1992. In '95 I found the WWW. Although my first browser was Netscape Navigator, I used IE occasionally and found over the next few years that I liked IE better than other browsers. It has been my favorite browser for many years now. But I am also very familiar with FF and Opera and use them both every day, but usually only while coding.

My choice isn't based on ignorance, lack of experience or anything else except my appreciation for the browser's aesthetics, function and quality. Others don't have to agree and it baffles me to this day why the choice of browser gets the same reaction as the choice of political party.

As far as vB4 looking different in IE than in FF or other browsers, I hope the development team gets that sorted out. It has always given us a product that renders the same in various browsers and I expect nothing less when vB4 goes gold.

Jim
                              If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                              www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...