Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dilbert
    • Oct 2004

Computer Chat Help a newbie with server info

Our site is hosted with a reputable company but we recently had a drive failure for our db server.
    The backup we got was over 24 hours old, and it caused us some pain.
    I complained about the inconvenience and asked if a more robust backup process was available and got this response:
    "This was extremely out of the ordinary. These are multi drive raid systems and typically we do not get a complete RAID going out."

Should I feel better?
    We've been with them over 5 years, and this is a first for a complete failure like this.
    Cliff
    PathLabTalk
    Square Wheels Cycling
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11 is the best forum for hosting questions...

but you said you had only a 24 hours old backup ?!... fair if i can say... most cheap hostings have no backup provided... 24 hours backup is what we call a good backup... if you want more, it's up to you do have a hourly backup, but you may face a lot of troubles paying for that.
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• dilbert
      • Oct 2004

Thanks, it's not for a vb site.
      It's a cold fusion site, and backups are part of the package - unfortunately, it was 24 hours old. It was a MS SQL db.
      I was wondering if the system they described is a stable system that should not have had a backup issue at all. Where they said multi drive, does that mean it's redundant and automatically backs itself up?
      Cliff
      PathLabTalk
      Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

if it is not indicated "redundant", i suppose they just mean they have multiple HD with the possibility to switch a safe backup if one fail. the problem with redundant is that if your site fail and not the HD, the fail will replicate on the network, so you will face an even worst situation of multiple backups of failing content...

do you pay for backup insurances ?
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Cromulent
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.8.x

RAID is not a backup solution. Ever.

It is a redundant storage solution. Backups should be considered a completely separate issue.

Comment

• aussiefooty
            • Nov 2008
            • 6.0.X

You would probably be better off asking those sorts of questions to the support people at coldfusion, buddy.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
              You would probably be better off asking those sorts of questions to the support people at coldfusion, buddy.
              What would coldfusion support people know about respectable hosting companies back up policies?

zing!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

To answer your question, there is no 100% fault tolerant solution in any case.. They can attempt a full backup, as said they don't always get a full drive out..

Yes this solution was fault tolerant, unfortunately, it failed!!!
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...