Buying a running forum! What do i need to do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen B
    • Sep 2009

Buying a running forum! What do i need to do?

Hi, can anyone help me with this.

I’m buying a VBulletin running forum. It’s been running for 6+ years…

What do I need to do to make sure I do not get scammed and I have all the right things needed to have a smooth take over?

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Sorry if this is not in the right place but looking for a fast reply.

Stephen
  • Jose Amaral Rego
    • Feb 2005
    • 1.1.x

Have the 'License' vBulletin holder contact vBulletin Staff with the details... It is then upto Jelsoft (Staff) if that site can be transfered to you or if the owner is just selling the site contents without the script, then you need to purchase new script and overwrite current one. You would also make security changes to everything once you have completed the transactions.

Presale was the forum....

Comment

• Stephen B
      • Sep 2009

Thank you, so thats what the owner now has to do? And I have to then get a license to put the forum onto?

Again thanks and I hope a mod will move this into the right forum.

Comment

• Abomination
        • Jul 2008

Buying a forum, a few things:

The sites name is owned and registered somewhere. That ownership needs to be transferred to you and out of the owners name. That is extremely important. If you want fast answers on that topic you could call some place that sells domain names: search for something like 'buy domain names' and a huge number will be in the results and you could call one of them for details. Where ever that domain is registered, it is pointed to a hosting account.

Of slightly less importance, the site is hosted somewhere and that account needs to be transferred to you. Alternatively you could open a new hosting account and transfer the existing forum/database to that new hosting account, then point the url/name to that account.

Then there is vBulletin itself which ideally the license could be transferred to you. If the owner cannot because it does not meet the qualifications for transfer or other reasons then a brand new vB license and install can be purchased.

The biggest 2 things is the url and data ownership.

Comment

• Stephen B
          • Sep 2009

This is what the old owner said I would get... (Does this sound rigth?)

Domains will be: xxxxx.com domain
          xxxx.com domain
          Transfer ownership of GoDaddy hosting
          Transfer ownership of GaDaddy dedicated server
          vBulletin owned license
          All database data
          All website files and configured vBulletin

Thanks guys! This is all new to me so you are a good help.

Comment

• Abomination
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Stephen B
            This is what the old owner said I would get... (Does this sound right?)

Domains will be: xxxxx.com domain
            xxxx.com domain
            Transfer ownership of GoDaddy hosting
            Transfer ownership of GaDaddy dedicated server
            vBulletin owned license
            All database data
            All website files and configured vBulletin

Thanks guys! This is all new to me so you are a good help.
            It would be better had you typed:
            Transfer ownership of xxxxx.com domain name.

Assuming the domain is transferred to you, then yes that sounds right. The vB licensing transfer is up to vB and all that entails. I do not work for vB but thought you could use a little more information.

Comment

• Stephen B
              • Sep 2009

Thanks Abomination, I will have him add it like this - Transfer ownership of xxxxx.com domain name.

I'm talking to VB now so I should be good. Thanks a lot...

Comment

• Abomination
                • Jul 2008

Sounds like you are buying a larger forum.

After those basics there is also the issue of permissions to access the hosting account as an authorized user. You may or may not want to have the previous owner have that. Anyone that has access can add/delete anything they want including deleting the data/database.

Regardless, you should at least make a copy of everything on the server, especially the database, onto your home/local computer.

Then there is the issue of forum permissions. You may or may not want the previous owner to have access to certain permissions which can be set in the AdminCP.

In addition to permissions set through the admin cp, there are permissions set by editing a certain configuration file on the server. Editing that entails access to the hosting account.

It all sounds complicated, but once you get going it is not difficult.

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I would make sure to get assistance of a good host. As a large host Godaddy is not optimal IMHO. Would be better to get a host that offers good support and has experience with vbulletin.
                  Transfer the domains & database over to a new host so that you know for sure you have full control and support.

Make sure that you get a contract signed and change all admin account passwords & database passwords and check permissions of the staff.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...