X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homeworld'sa
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

Hello :)

Hey, I just registered, and I am going to be paying for my very own vB tomorrow, as a birthday present, since I will turn 16 years of age tomorrow

However, why is the Private Messaging system turned off? Was there a specific reason as to why? I've been viewing this forum for a wee while and haven't noticed any announcements about PM system being disabled. Or is it part of a promotion setup?
    That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

It is turned off because you are not a licensed member yet...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
      • Sep 2009
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nexialys
      It is turned off because you are not a licensed member yet...
      That seems to be a very silly way to get people to pay for vB. Is Jelsoft in dire straights or something?

Either way, I don't think I would stay here if PM system is disabled for unlicensed members, nor would others either

EDIT: Same with VM's. This is seemingly a very restricted forum, meaning that Jelsoft is either running out of money or is about to soon go into admin, so they're making unlicensed members suffer with little privileges and forcing them to pay up for vB to get those privileges. Since when did VM'ing random members become a privilege ? Same with PM's. lol
      That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Its disabled to prevent users from abusing the pm system to spam our customerrs/members.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          Its disabled to prevent users from abusing the pm system to spam our customerrs/members.
          Well, I am certainly not one of those types of members.
          Spambots, as I know, do post once and that's all, most of the time.
          How about setting up a system where users with less than X posts can't use PM's or VM's, after that, they get the privileges?

Comment

• nexialys
            • May 2004
            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Homeworld'sa
            Either way, I don't think I would stay here if PM system is disabled for unlicensed members, nor would others either
            looks like your interest for the software is not strong enough if your only situation with the PM restriction makes you flee the place... oh, and btw, thousands of clients purchase this software each month, so i don't think "others" would be properly used... people are interested in the software.

you are just 16, it's the best age where to learn and test... you can easily test the PM feature by visiting any forum using the vBulletin software and see by yourself. same for the VM... you know these features already, so i suppose you played with them somewhere else... does it really matter if these features are deactivated for guests here? really?
            oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
              • Sep 2009
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nexialys
              looks like your interest for the software is not strong enough if your only situation with the PM restriction makes you flee the place... oh, and btw, thousands of clients purchase this software each month, so i don't think "others" would be properly used... people are interested in the software.
              I am very interested in this software, but as I've seen from viewing threads, this forum is meant to show customers the basic thing without addon's and disabling PM's for new users doesn't help anyone

you are just 16, it's the best age where to learn and test... you can easily test the PM feature by visiting any forum using the vBulletin software and see by yourself. same for the VM... you know these features already, so i suppose you played with them somewhere else... does it really matter if these features are deactivated for guests here? really?
              Not really. And yeah, I used to admin a few vB forums.
              Doesn't really matter now, PM's were enabled on my account.
              Modmins, do your duty and lock this topic </end sarcastic joke>

EDIT:
              Now a problem with signatures Why can only 1 image be used? Isn't that rather excessive? A lot of forums I know allow at best 10-15 images in the signature? I mean, you can be restrictive, but that's going too far.

Comment

• Fusion
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

Regarding your (in)ability to use the PM system and the signature limitations, it's defined by the rules of this forum as set out by the admins. As one who have managed vB powered forums, it is not your place to question those rules at this time. After all, you have barely registered.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Fusion
                  Regarding your (in)ability to use the PM system and the signature limitations, it's defined by the rules of this forum as set out by the admins. As one who have managed vB powered forums, it is not your place to question those rules at this time. After all, you have barely registered.
                  Neither is it yours. But I want this forum to be nice and enjoyable, not a forum where you get infracted for every little thing lol.

Comment

• Fusion
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Neither is it yours. But I want this forum to be nice and enjoyable, not a forum where you get infracted for every little thing lol.
                    Well, I didn't question any rules, now did I? As for your fear of being infracted, I wouldn't worry, as long as you follow those pesky rules.
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• nexialys
                      • May 2004
                      • 1.1.x

actually, you said you admin some vB sites... so why do you ask to see these features in action?...

having PM will simply let you contact the clients of this site, and this is what we call spam if your only goal is to test it. having bigger signatures will simply let you show more trash if your only goal is to test it.

you visited some vB forum and some other softwares forum in the past, and like in real life, any admin wish their members to behave and follow the rules, not discuss them. from post #1 you showed a wish to discuss any rule here, which is not a good way to make an identity if you want to be a client... that would open the door to flaming each and every detail from the license agreement... don't you think?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

EDIT: Now a problem with signatures Why can only 1 image be used? Isn't that rather excessive? A lot of forums I know allow at best 10-15 images in the signature? I mean, you can be restrictive, but that's going too far.
                        This is not a social website. It is a support site for a commercial product and we have designed the rules so that it fits within that goal while making the majority of features available to users. Once you purchase vBulletin and use it on your site, you would be more than welcome to create your own unique setup.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Brandon_R
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2009

You could use the demo

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Well, I've paid for vBulletin but now it won't let me into the vB members area. I am entering the right customer number and password, but is it due to the fact that the email I paid for the software is different to my forum address?

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Has nothing to do with it, make sure you're properly copying and pasting both your username and password that was sent in the email.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...