Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Guest Attachment Permissions

I wanted to enable the option to allow Guests to download/view attachments in their main "Usergroup" setting, then use the "Attachment Permission" settings to fine tune and limit what Guests can and cannot download - like PSD, ZIP, GIF.

So I could allow them to see images, but not download zip files. But I've noticed there is no Guests permission setting in Attachments for them, which means you only have their Usergroup to choose from (which is an all or nothing setting).

Anybody any ideas on this?
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 19 Sep '09, 7:56am.
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

i've tried myself to have a fix for this, and even with the proper codes, something goes wrong and display thumbnails instead of the full images etc... there is no hook where it is needed...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

nothing from the staff here on this?

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Originally posted by nexialys
        i've tried myself to have a fix for this, and even with the proper codes, something goes wrong and display thumbnails instead of the full images etc... there is no hook where it is needed...
        So what your saying is, this can't be done with Guests (it's all or nothing) for them. Seems odd that all other Usergroups are covered by the Attachment Permissions, including any "custom usergroups" you even add. Yet Guests have been left out, why was that?

It would have made total sense to have included Guests, so you can enable the option to download in their usergroup, then fine tune what attachments exactly they are allowed to view/download further in attachments permissions. I mean, it there for COPPA and Members Awaiting eMail confirmation.
        Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 19 Sep '09, 8:42am.

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

a lot of permissions are not given by default to Guests, something related to the logic of Jelsoft... not bad, but not good either as we're not all from Jelsoft... lol
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Well I can only assume, that yeah. There were complications that made them leave this "Guests Attachment Permission" setting out for that usergroup. That much if pretty obvious really, otherwise they would have added it (seeing as it makes total sense to have done so) to control attachment settings further for guests like every other usergroup.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
              nothing from the staff here on this?
              If you want staff support on issues than you should post in the appropriate forum for your version of the software.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

This issue (well lack of feature), is there in all versions. So why does it matter what version I'm using?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Yes, all support questions should be in the appropriate support forums. It's not a new policy. It's always been that way.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nexialys
                    • May 2004
                    • 1.1.x

would'be been better to make a "vBulletin Suggestions and Feedback" post... as we can suggest solutions and vision...

Comment

• Dean C
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Cmon MRGTB, you should know better !
                      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• H2k
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3.5.x

i think i have done this before 3 year by editing the template file [usergroup] id who is allowed and who is not ...

Comment