X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cole2026
    I installed Vista in August of last year. It was a nightmare operating system that I uninstalled after a week. On the other hand, I have been running Windows 7 since build 7000 (January) and have nothing but good things to say about it.
    Upgraded to Vista or a clean install?

Microsoft needs to really stop telling people they can just upgrade when there are major changes to the Kernal and driver structures. It causes all sorts of havoc. Everyone I know who had problems with Vista did an upgrade and didn't update all the drivers on their machine for their USB, Chipset, Sound, Video, etc... However, I go in and slide in the CD for a clean install and voila, it works great.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Quillz
      Most people I know who didn't like Vista never actually even used it. They were just told by a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin twice removed that it "sucked," so of course they believed them w/o even trying.
      Agreed. My life is much easier with Vista.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Quillz
        Most people I know who didn't like Vista never actually even used it.
        that's the Mac vs PC war at a new level... PC vs PC... lol 99% of the people saying Mac is not good never even seen a Mac... that say a lot, because 30% of all american schools are equiped with Macs... that means a lot of people do not go to school. rofl

btw, Vista vs XP... different computers, not different needs... both have the same features, just a change in seasoning.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Microsoft needs to really stop telling people they can just upgrade when there are major changes to the Kernal and driver structures. It causes all sorts of havoc.
        that remembers me of vB 3.8 to 4.0... really...
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

I know there is a way to stop this from happening with a Vista setting you can "turn off" somewhere. But what's annoying about Vista is you being asked (Permission) to do just about everything all the time. I installed Vista again last week after trying Ubuntu which was a nightmare. I was previously running XP Home, but decided to try Vista again after the Ubuntu problems instead of putting XP Home back on.

I have to say, today I'm thinking very hard about removing Vista and putting XP Home back on. Just all the hassle of doing it is stopping me right now, plus for the past two days I've been downloaded update after update from the MS Website, I can't believe just how many updates there have been for Vista since installing it. I must have spent about 8 hours downloading updates over 2-3 days.

XP looks old in comparision to Vista I'll admit, but it so much more user friendly, and I'm coming across little querks in Vista like not being able to upload multiple images at once with WordPress from the Pictures folder in Vista, it won't let me multi-select images using the flash uploader in WordPress using Vista, like I can with XP Home for some strange reason. Will only let me select one image at a time.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 9 Sep '09, 3:49am.

Comment

• veenuisthebest
            • Mar 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
            But what's annoying about Vista is you being asked (Permission) to do just about everything all the time.
            Turn off "User Account Control" setting in Security Center. This is the first thing I do when Vista fresh installed, I can't handle it either.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by nexialys
              that's the Mac vs PC war at a new level... PC vs PC... lol 99% of the people saying Mac is not good never even seen a Mac... that say a lot, because 30% of all american schools are equiped with Macs... that means a lot of people do not go to school. rofl
              Not sure where you pulled the stats, but many schools don't use macs anymore. PC's are cheaper and easier to network. At least I remember a large dropoff after the 90's.

I've worked for several school districts here locally and a few corporations, macs are few and far between.

Comment

• Shamil.
                • Feb 2008
                • 4.2.X

At least 80% of schools here in the UK are on guess what... Microsoft Windows... even the government/LEA (Local Education Authority) suggests that it is uses, due to the national school network compatibility and there's more but I can't remember.
                Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                vBulletin Hosting and Services
                Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

None of the schools in my area use Macs anymore. They are too expensive to install since Apple stopped their education program about 10 years ago. Now all the computers are donated by Lockheed-Martin, Northrup Grumman, Boeing and Microsoft. After the United States Air Force, the first three donaters are the largest employers in the area. Dells and HPs are very popular though.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

that say a lot, because 30% of all american schools are equiped with Macs... that means a lot of people do not go to school. rofl
                    You have a source for this, or are you just making it up?

If it means anything, my old elementary school used to use nothing but Macs, running System 7. I went back there a year ago to visit some old teachers and every single Mac was replaced by a Dell PC.

My college campus had some Macs a few years ago. They've all been replaced with PCs.

If anything, it seems Apple is leaving the classroom to focus on the consumer market. They used to brag about being the world's largest education company. They stopped doing that years ago as their market share increased.
                    Forums

Comment

• harmor
                      • Aug 2003

because 30% of all american schools are equiped with Macs... that means a lot of people do not go to school. rofl
                      Another mac fanboy that has no clue what he's talking about.
                      I'll put you on my list with Emeek77/AppleSoldier

This is about Windows 7 vs XP. The thread-starter did not ask about Macs.

Comment

• pank
                        • Mar 2001

Originally posted by veenuisthebest
                        Turn off "User Account Control" setting in Security Center. This is the first thing I do when Vista fresh installed, I can't handle it either.
                        Bugged the hell out of me as well Was so glad when I found that feature to turn off!!
                        Bob- (pank)
                        pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          None of the schools in my area use Macs anymore. They are too expensive to install since Apple stopped their education program about 10 years ago. Now all the computers are donated by Lockheed-Martin, Northrup Grumman, Boeing and Microsoft. After the United States Air Force, the first three donaters are the largest employers in the area. Dells and HPs are very popular though.
                          I'm not surprised Dell and HP's are so popular, they are here in the UK also used in businesses, and bought by people who don't want to spend a lot of money on a family computer system. HP's mainly are the thing here in the UK, not really Dell. But that's because they are a dime a dozen (very cheap). And money talks when your saving a fortune to install mass computer systems. Personally, I hate HP systems (PC World springs to mind), my sister has one and they are a bag of junk! But then that's the case with most mass produced computer systems (remember TinyPC who went bust). You simply can't beat a custom built PC using top (seperate) components, that you can change at will to keep it up-to-date. Unlike the Dell, HP's systems which become outdated 12 months down the line, and there's little you can do to update it because of the way it's manufactured with everything built on-board (the motherboard) like graphics to sell them very cheap as good looking systems with top specs etc.

And then to top it all off, they come with all their junk pre-installed, and thrown at you. Like Norton AV (that uses a million system resources), and ties itself into your computer system like the "Borg". Plus, much more promotional junk besides.
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 9 Sep '09, 10:57pm.

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
                            And then to top it all off, they come with all their junk pre-installed, and thrown at you. Like Norton AV (that uses a million system resources), and ties itself into your computer system like the "Borg". Plus, much more promotional junk besides.
                            It's true that they are there,but there is no charge for them.
                            Do you want to use them? You have to pay for them after a short while.(Norton,Office, etc.)

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Love the way people have barged into this thread banging on about Macs.

Macs are a niche element. I'm in the UK, try going to a job interview and saying you only have experience of Macs. LOL.

Windows machines are the defacto standard, rightly or wrongly. Not Macs, not Linux, not anything else. Time some people got used to that.

I expect having posted this that the thread will now be declared off topic and be closed. I do have that effect on threads, I should warn you.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MRGTB
                                • May 2005

Mac's have mainly been seen as a kind of status symbol really (I have an iMac, look I'm a Yuppie). No offence intended LOL, but that's how it used to be with them before they became more popular today. Now I suppose you could say they no longer carry that "Yuppie" label anymore.

Windows based machines are the standard, and probably always will be because all software (well most, including games) etc. Work on the Windows based machine, you can't say that for a Mac. Which is why most Mac owners also own a Windows machine to make-up for it's short comings. That why I usually laugh at the Mac V's Windows arguments, because most MAC owners arguing there point, have a Windows machine tucked away on the quite.
                                Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 10 Sep '09, 4:07am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...