Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rellek
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.8.x

Vista and 7 are better than XP because XP is already 8 years old. Imagine this!
    Vista (and newer) have some great new technologies (I for example love the new memory management).

And! DirectX 10 and 11. Very nice. In games, Vista isn't even slower than XP. But nobody sees that.
    Meow!

Please excuse my bad English.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
      • Feb 2009
      • 3.8.x

Most of my computers (desktop, laptop) are several years old and 32-bit. Does that mean that I would not be able to run Windows 7 on them?

On a slightly different note, I'm guessing that the advent of Windows 7 will spur a whole new round of software development, possibly leading to some nifty new appications. Does that seem likely to those of you who understand all of this better than I do?

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by rellek
        And! DirectX 10 and 11. Very nice. In games, Vista isn't even slower than XP. But nobody sees that.
        Absolute nonsense. Stick vista on 2 year old hardware or a netbook, and run boot-up times, application loading times, memory usage and XP will outperform it in every department. XP is faster because it's more lightweight.
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• rellek
          • Apr 2002
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
          Absolute nonsense. Stick vista on 2 year old hardware or a netbook, and run boot-up times, application loading times, memory usage and XP will outperform it in every department. XP is faster because it's more lightweight.
          I guess, you didn't see the "in games" - i think you're not playing on your netbook
          Meow!

Please excuse my bad English.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Dollars to donuts that Vista will win in a 64 bit enviroment. Some of us like having 8gb of ram.

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              Dollars to donuts that Vista will win in a 64 bit enviroment. Some of us like having 8gb of ram.
              XP 64bit is fine
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• nexialys
                • May 2004
                • 1.1.x

sorry to break your poll, i had to vote "Don't know"... because there was no "Buy a Mac instead"... rofl

oh, btw, i run Vista Ultimate on my iMac, it run smoother than on a Dell PC!....
                oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

XP 64bit is fine
                  XP64 never seemed to run that well I blame lack of driver support. Either way I;d rather run windows vista to XP anyday.

Originally posted by nexialys
                  sorry to break your poll, i had to vote "Don't know"... because there was no "Buy a Mac instead"... rofl

oh, btw, i run Vista Ultimate on my iMac, it run smoother than on a Dell PC!....
                  Define your dell pc, considering a dell can run the lowest of the lowest classes of CPU's ram and other hardware by comparison to the imacs standardized hardware that is mid-high range depending on make.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

I still use XP, but am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 once it is completely released.

But I do believe there will be security and performance benefits.
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

XP Pro was a godsend over win98 and its constant crashing.

I've been using Vista 64 for the last year and I really like it. No complaints here.

I picked up Win7 upgrade for half price when it was offered a few months back. I figure it will be a good upgrade.
                      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Baba Wawa
                        Most of my computers (desktop, laptop) are several years old and 32-bit. Does that mean that I would not be able to run Windows 7 on them?
                        So, am I right in thinking that I won't be able to run Win7 on my old 32-bit laptop? how about on my new 32-bit netbook?

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Baba Wawa
                          So, am I right in thinking that I won't be able to run Win7 on my old 32-bit laptop? how about on my new 32-bit netbook?
                          Windows 7 ran fine on my 32-bit Desktop, I would expect it to be no different on your laptop (provided it meets the minimum system requirements).
                          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                            Windows 7 ran fine on my 32-bit Desktop, I would expect it to be no different on your laptop (provided it meets the minimum system requirements).
                            Thanks, Ryan. That's really good to hear.

Comment

• Quillz
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 5.0.X

Most people I know who didn't like Vista never actually even used it. They were just told by a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin twice removed that it "sucked," so of course they believed them w/o even trying.

What's funny is that when Windows XP first came out in October 2001, people were complaining how it was "too different" from Windows 98, how "some software" doesn't work on it, and how much better Windows 98 was. And then when Vista was released in January 2007, those same people were complaining how it was "too different" from Windows XP, how "some software" doesn't work on it, and how much better Windows XP was.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. Yes, it *DID* have some compatibility issues with older software, but so has every other piece of Windows software, including Windows 7.

Anyway, Windows 7 is great. The best OS Microsoft has ever made, obviously.
                              Forums

Comment

• Cole2026
                                • Apr 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                                Most people I know who didn't like Vista never actually even used it. They were just told by a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin twice removed that it "sucked," so of course they believed them w/o even trying.

What's funny is that when Windows XP first came out in October 2001, people were complaining how it was "too different" from Windows 98, how "some software" doesn't work on it, and how much better Windows 98 was. And then when Vista was released in January 2007, those same people were complaining how it was "too different" from Windows XP, how "some software" doesn't work on it, and how much better Windows XP was.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. Yes, it *DID* have some compatibility issues with older software, but so has every other piece of Windows software, including Windows 7.

Anyway, Windows 7 is great. The best OS Microsoft has ever made, obviously.
                                I installed Vista in August of last year. It was a nightmare operating system that I uninstalled after a week. On the other hand, I have been running Windows 7 since build 7000 (January) and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...