X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Windows 7 vs XP

Since some people have been trying Windows 7, I am wondering if you think Windows 7 is better than Windows XP?

I'm not even going to ask for Vista opinions. Let's just be happy that's done soon.
    Yes.
    68.13%
    No.
    18.68%
    Don't know
    13.19%
    I buy 420 forums
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Personally, I don't see how people still use XP unless their computers are older than 2 years. On newer computers using 64-bit Vista is an improvement over XP in both usability and performance. Windows 7 just builds on Vista making it faster and more resource friendly. Even some of those older computers can run it.

Only have one computer in the house running XP now. It is a 5 year old obsolete piece of junk. I can't wait to replace it and either donate it to the local highschool for their computer repair lab or turn it into a Linux DVR.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ---MAD---
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

Windows 7 has many performance and security benefits. That's like comparing windows 95 to XP?

Comment

• bigwater
        • Jan 2007

I use applications that are specifically designed to interface with hardware that I use to run my business which will only run on XP, and 32 bit at that. Limited tests have shown that they *can* run in compatability mode under 64 bit XP, but you never know when it's going to flake out. 32 bit Vista compatability is even worse, so I stick with XP pro 32.

That's my shop machines however. Play boxes are Linux. I'll move to 7 when and if it's proven 100% compatable with my work equipment, as my work equipment will never be Linux compatable (or at least not in my lifetime). Until then I'm sticking with 32 bit XP.
        Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

Yes... well the version I am trying -> 7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENEVAL_EN_DVD

It is fast and requires less ram to run, then the previous other version (Vista). The search feature blows 'Windows Search' out of the water. It is so fast and it does not need to always index every time during start up.

Still need to play around with it a bit more and it does run so much easier on my P4 3.0.1. Do not know why it would, but I like it.

Cons: Screen Reader is lacking, as Snow Leopard is much more advanced (Computer cost to much, but OS is dirt cheap)
          OS cost a bit to much, as separate and you need to purchase it as OEM.

more to come, as I did not completely ran all programs and or install everything I need to actually see how fast it still is.

I use the XP, as I have tested Vista and it was incompatible with some programs and hardware I still wanted to use. I did not want to go out and purchase everything and just to find out it will not work again with new Windows 7. I will wait for 6 more months to see if hardware becomes cheaper by then... or Boxing Day

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Personally, I don't see how people still use XP unless their computers are older than 2 years. On newer computers using 64-bit Vista is an improvement over XP in both usability and performance. Windows 7 just builds on Vista making it faster and more resource friendly. Even some of those older computers can run it.

Only have one computer in the house running XP now. It is a 5 year old obsolete piece of junk. I can't wait to replace it and either donate it to the local highschool for their computer repair lab or turn it into a Linux DVR.
            Because vista is absolute awful. Windows 7 is basically a more polished Vista with a heavily optimised core. It's what Vista should have been! I will be upgrading my main OS as soon as my copy arrives. I was very impressed with it on my netbook. At this point, however, I can't compare the two until I've used Windows 7 on my main machine for a few months
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
              • Apr 2008
              • 3.0.0 Gamma

Windows XP Home was very good offer, good price and for average user Professional edition was really not needed.

With Vista/7 they added more edition, now OS is more expensive. And while XP is working fine - I dont see good reason for expensive upgrade.

Why change something that is working? How you can trust microsoft product before SP1? Even ecomonic situation is a good argument against rushing...

But this is my personal opinion, I hope you guys will properly test 7, and I if my next laptop will have it pre installed (some shrinked home/basic edition) I will give it a try.
              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigwater
                I use applications that are specifically designed to interface with hardware that I use to run my business which will only run on XP, and 32 bit at that. Limited tests have shown that they *can* run in compatability mode under 64 bit XP, but you never know when it's going to flake out. 32 bit Vista compatability is even worse, so I stick with XP pro 32.
                Good thing that Microsoft included Windows XP in a virtual compatibility layer as a feature in the Business version of Windows 7 isn't it?

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
                  With Vista/7 they added more edition, now OS is more expensive. And while XP is working fine - I dont see good reason for expensive upgrade.
                  At $119.00 for the premium edition, it costs exactly the same as the Windows XP upgrade did. 90% of people don't need more than the Premium Edition.

Why change something that is working? How you can trust microsoft product before SP1? Even ecomonic situation is a good argument against rushing...
                  They offered Windows 7 for free for 8 months as a download on their site to test it. Why didn't you try it out?

But this is my personal opinion, I hope you guys will properly test 7, and I if my next laptop will have it pre installed (some shrinked home/basic edition) I will give it a try.
                  Nothing to test really. It is more stable and handles better than any other computer I have used in the past. That includes Linux and Macintosh computers.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bigwater
                    • Jan 2007

Good thing that Microsoft included Windows XP in a virtual compatibility layer as a feature in the Business version of Windows 7 isn't it?
                    Windows has included a "compatability layer" since Win '98. Unfortunately it doesn't always work as predictably as it should and crashes the sandbox at the worst possible times.

I'll reserve judgement on Win 7 until I get confirmation that either my apps have been made 7 compatable, or they'll run stable in compatability mode.
                    Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigwater
                      Windows has included a "compatability layer" since Win '98. Unfortunately it doesn't always work as predictably as it should and crashes the sandbox at the worst possible times.
                      Not like this. It is Windows XP running within Windows 7 and it only runs for the applications that need it. It is based off of Virtual PC which is a full virtualization system so you get two OSes in one. I installed it but haven't had the chance to test it yet because I haven't found a program that doesn't run in Windows 7. Even some old Windows 95 CDs that I bought my kids when they were toddlers run.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

They offered Windows 7 for free for 8 months as a download on their site to test it. Why didn't you try it out?
                        It is still downloadable for free from windows site, I can only respond to private message to get it. I do not want people to abuse it... (actually I think I did, as I got it last night.) You can still get the 90 day version, but you will need to activate it within 10 days or you will lose out on the trial.

Jaws 9... You need Jaws 10, but still not offical to run it completely with out trouble right now. Need to wait 6 months or less for major bugs.

Comment

• bigwater
                          • Jan 2007

Not like this. It is Windows XP running within Windows 7 and it only runs for the applications that need it. It is based off of Virtual PC which is a full virtualization system so you get two OSes in one. I installed it but haven't had the chance to test it yet because I haven't found a program that doesn't run in Windows 7. Even some old Windows 95 CDs that I bought my kids when they were toddlers run.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
                          I'll certainly look into that. I actually run one of my production machines in a VMware ESXi virtual machine and it runs as if it's the native kernel. If Win 7 did that I might give it a shot. I have to give as many resources as possible to RIP (raster image processing) files that may be upwards of 3GB. That means not running anything that isn't necessary on that instance. And then I have to communicate those files to a printer over a protocol stack that's not exactly industry standard, throwing more curve balls into the mix.

Comment

• pank
                            • Mar 2001

I've been running the latest RC on my Mac and I have to admit IMO it is much better than Vista. Looks nicer and runs smoother. Still no OS X but hey, it's moving in the right direction... I'll be updating my PC's when it comes out without a doubt.
                            Bob- (pank)
                            pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• ComputerVitals
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3.8.x

I ran the beta for a while.. Wonderful OS. all my drivers loaded just fine.
                              It seemed to run smooth and faster then vista.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...