X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
    Linux is a good way of going through those things, however how can you connect to the internet when you are using the old school linux?

That's one of the pitfalls. Also you can get file server bugs on your pc due to people sending you files that have viruses in them.

Personally I don't like using Apple Mac's these days. Sure they were good when they were more popular but they keep on racking out the changes and bring out all the new stuff that it is way too hard to keep up with.

Their latest Laptop is so thin that it could snap and break when you are travelling anywhere.
    Yes, you can get on the Internet with a Linux distro. Did you really think you couldn't?

And technology progresses at a quick rate. Have you never noticed? There's no need to constantly keep up with it if you want you have at the moment does what you need it to do.

As for the latest MacBook models... They're made out of aluminum. It doesn't break.

Clearly you've never tried using it.
    Forums

Comment

• Dilly
      • Mar 2005

Linux is a good way of going through those things, however how can you connect to the internet when you are using the old school linux?
      Mr. Computer Technician strikes again.

Comment

• dartho
        • Sep 2005
        • 3.8.x

Windows 7 is running fine. XP ran fine too - and I have already paid for that. I'll be going back to XP - I have better things to spend my money on than changing OS just for the sake of it. Glad I made a Clonezilla copy of my system before checking the W7 RC ...

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

I am loving Windows 7 Ult 64bit 8gb of ram has never made me so happy. It feels and seems to run better than Vista did. Most noticably aero feels faster.

Comment

• veenuisthebest
            • Mar 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
            I am loving Windows 7 Ult 64bit 8gb of ram has never made me so happy. It feels and seems to run better than Vista did. Most noticably aero feels faster.
            Out of curiosity, may I know if 8GB of RAM is really used in a "PC"? I mean how heavily can one use a PC that 8GB of RAM (or even 6?) is actually needed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by veenuisthebest
              Out of curiosity, may I know if 8GB of RAM is really used in a "PC"? I mean how heavily can one use a PC that 8GB of RAM (or even 6?) is actually needed.
              Let's just say that with my RAM, I don't close applications anymore. At least in Windows 7. I just switch between them. The only thing I close when not using them are games.

Currently running 91 processes ranging from 3 different browsers, Microsoft Onenote, email client, database applications, development tools, Skype, FTP Client, IRC Client, Streaming music from Pandora, etc... I am also running IIS 7.0 and MySQL on my computer in the background. My CPU hovers around 10% and Memory usage around 55%.

When I launch a game like World of Warcraft or Champions Online (or both at the same time) my CPU usage will spike into the 80% range and my memory jumps into the 90% or higher range. I have 6 GB of RAM. I allow my video card to appropriate up to 1 GB of that if needed. It has 512 MB onboard.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 30 Sep '09, 8:40am.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• nexialys
                • May 2004
                • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                When I launch a game like World of Warcraft or Champions Online (or both at the same time) my CPU usage will spike into the 80% range and my memory jumps into the 90% or higher range. I have 6 GB of RAM. I allow my video card to appropriate up to 1 GB of that if needed. It has 512 MB onboard.
                Now i know why my son was SOOOOO HAPPPPYYYYYY to see that my MacPro had 32 gigs of RAM... rofl the video card is just 512, but i suppose that is not a problem now... lol
                oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• veenuisthebest
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 3.8.x

Currently running 91 processes ranging from 3 different browsers, Microsoft Onenote, email client, database applications, development tools, Skype, FTP Client, IRC Client, Streaming music from Pandora, etc... I am also running IIS 7.0 and MySQL on my computer in the background. My CPU hovers around 10% and Memory usage around 55%.

I don't close applications anymore.
                  hmm that explains everything. I personally have a habit of closing every other window/program I am not using, so I guess I won't need 8GB for a long time.

Comment

• beishe8
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Let's just say that with my RAM, I don't close applications anymore...
                    ...and don't have to close Tabs as well.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by veenuisthebest
                      hmm that explains everything. I personally have a habit of closing every other window/program I am not using, so I guess I won't need 8GB for a long time.
                      I used to do that under XP. Was really a pain multitasking without more than a couple of applications open. Now, I just winkey-tab through everything.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                        • Sep 2006

Now, I just winkey-tab through everything.
                        you should consider making that a registered Trademark
                        No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Let's just say that with my RAM, I don't close applications anymore. At least in Windows 7. I just switch between them. The only thing I close when not using them are games.

Tomorrow (hopefully) I will upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, 8 gb Ram are waiting since some weeks for work.
                          Hopefully it gives me the boost I expect from it because I'm so tired to see the system slowing down if I have too many programs opened.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                            Tomorrow (hopefully) I will upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, 8 gb Ram are waiting since some weeks for work.
                            Hopefully it gives me the boost I expect from it because I'm so tired to see the system slowing down if I have too many programs opened.
                            I am looking at 12 to 16gb for my next upgrade

Comment

• Shamil.
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 4.2.X

I wondered who brought this thread from 2 years.

On topic, I am fine with my 4GB RAM.
                              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                              vBulletin Hosting and Services
                              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• almabetica
                                • Oct 2010
                                • 4.1.x

I love Windows Vista. I've got a W7 but I'm sad with his performance.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...