• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

Computer Chat HTML 5 someone?

wanna see what HTML 5 is all about?

i was curious myself, and searched for CSS related galleries, and on the move, i found this one: http://html5gallery.com/

*(take care, clicking this link will redirect you to an external website that MAY harm your brain!)

.... i just hope vBulletin 4.0 is ready for HTML 5....

i'll start coding in pure HTML 5 ++ CSS3 in the next weeks as i drop all my old work to the trash and startover. btw, i'm far from being a designer, so i suppose it will take time to learn... took me 10 years to learn HTML 4... lol
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

HTML 5 isn't final.

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
      HTML 5 isn't final.
      so?

PHP 5 isn't either, vBulletin 3.8.4 isn't either? are you seriously waiting for anything to be final before using it?... that would be cumbersome as any of the scripts related to vBulletin never were final... PHP, MySQL, GD, ImageMagick, Linux, etc...

edit: and my reference is not about making vBulletin 100% HTML 5 compliant, i talk about the general web... i know vB will not use HTML 5 until it is final...
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nexialys
        btw, i'm far from being a designer, so i suppose it will take time to learn... took me 10 years to learn HTML 4... lol
        You mean coder?

Anyway, thanks for that link. Do you have any more resources on that topic that you can recommend?
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
          • May 2003

I'll stick with XHTML.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• nexialys
            • May 2004
            • 1.1.x

personally i think that someone who manipulate HTML is a designer, not a coder, but it all depend on the job... HTML 5 is more a templating engine than a simple output system.

another link related to the latest web technologies: http://www.css3gallery.net/

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by nexialys
              so?

PHP 5 isn't either, vBulletin 3.8.4 isn't either? are you seriously waiting for anything to be final before using it?... that would be cumbersome as any of the scripts related to vBulletin never were final... PHP, MySQL, GD, ImageMagick, Linux, etc...

edit: and my reference is not about making vBulletin 100% HTML 5 compliant, i talk about the general web... i know vB will not use HTML 5 until it is final...
              PHP 5 is final. HTML 5 isn't. The first working draft proposal for HTML 5 came out back in 2008. Subsequent revisions are still being made to the HTML 5 proposal
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• nexialys
                • May 2004
                • 1.1.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                PHP 5 is final. HTML 5 isn't. The first working draft proposal for HTML 5 came out back in 2008. Subsequent revisions are still being made to the HTML 5 proposal
                i know these details... but that did not stop Mozilla, Apple, Microsoft and Opera to integrate the protocol in their browsers already... so logically, it is safe to say that even if the latest revisions are not made final, HTML 5 exists and is usable, no?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

But we're talking about two totally different types of applications. vBulletin is a web based application whereas Safari, Opera, etc. are web browsers.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• nexialys
                    • May 2004
                    • 1.1.x

i said i hoped vB was HTML 5, not made of... lol

and effectivly, vB is updated more often than any browser, so it would be easy to make it HTML 5 driven, and update the code when new revisions are made, but it's another story, another way to think...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                      I'll stick with XHTML.
                      HTML 5 is the successor to XHTML. The XHTML working group is being disbanded and it will have no further progress after the end of the year. XHTML is simply HTML 4.01 with XML rules added on. You can still use the same format of coding in HTML 5 if you wish but the W3C realized that enforcing XML rules on HTML has limited growth of the web.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                        I'll stick with XHTML.
                        HTML5 is XHTML you can still use your coding principles from XHTML1.
                        XHTML2 is basically shelved.
                        2010 is the year for HTML5/CSS3 for online web applications, SaaS, and alike.

I am convinced personal projects, sites, and sorts will remain XHTML1 trans for a while. But slowly understand and adapt towards HTML5 in 24 months.

Time for a comic strip :

Comment

• Ben Shelock
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Zachery
                          HTML 5 isn't final.
                          I find vBulletin funny. You have only just got your head round the need for tableless layouts. The default layout doesn't even validate, that's not great for paid software. Why are you so reluctant to try out new things?

Look at something like Wordpress. I realise it's completely different but it's a good example to go by.

Comment

• Shamil.
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ben Shelock
                            I find vBulletin funny. You have only just got your head round the need for tableless layouts. The default layout doesn't even validate, that's not great for paid software. Why are you so reluctant to try out new things?

Look at something like Wordpress. I realise it's completely different but it's a good example to go by.
                            If I remember correctly, vBulletin 4 sets out to validate XHTML Transitional.
                            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                            vBulletin Hosting and Services
                            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ben Shelock
                              The default layout doesn't even validate, that's not great for paid software.
                              What doesn't validate?

index.php - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

forumdisplay.php - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...idator%2F1.654

showthread.php - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...idator%2F1.654

member.php - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...idator%2F1.654

I could go on.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...