X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Jan 2008
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat Two hard drives

Hi all,

I use Vista and when I go into 'Computer' it says I have two hard drives; "Vista (C" and "Data (E"

Everthing on my computer, including all installed programs and my own personal folder with documents and music is in (C and as a result it is now full. (D contains nothing apart from a few backup files.

Does anyone know how I can just have one drive, (C, or move some of my installed programs or my user folder (Computer\Vista (C\Users\My_Name) over to (D. Can I just drag & drop?
    http://www.railforums.co.uk
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

D: would be a recovery partition and not very large at that. You shouldn't put anything on it. Let Windows handle it for you.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jan 2008
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for your reply. Is it though, as it is some 50gb, the same size as the Vista portion? Seems a bit of a waste. The laptop manufacturer does claim it has a 100gb hardrive.

Comment

• Vile
        • Jul 2002
        • 3.6.x

What brand is the computer?
        Generally the recovery partition is not that big, so seem a bit odd for it to be ~ 50 GB, but if it is definitely the recovery partition, then as mentioned above, you should not modify it.
        Also, most computers that have onboard recovery/recovery partition allow you to also make the restore discs and burn them on DVDs. You should look for a recovery disc creation option to do this, just in case the HD crashes so you'll have the physical discs to do the restore with.
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Jan 2008
          • 3.8.x

It's a Toshiba Satellite L300-16L.

Comment

• Protoss
            • Dec 2004
            • 3.8.x

As has been stated it's important not to use the drive that contains your system setup files. These are vitally important should you ever need to reinstall the operating system via a system reset.

You can move your installed programs. It's not just a case of drag and drop folders though.
            To move your installed programs, you will have to unininstall them.
            Now you need to reinstall them and during the installation choose to install them on the other drive.

You can easily move any of your personal files/folders to another drive.
            Just drag and drop or use move.

mydigitallife.info is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mydigitallife.info has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by 051119
              Hi all,

I use Vista and when I go into 'Computer' it says I have two hard drives; "Vista (C" and "Data (E"

Everthing on my computer, including all installed programs and my own personal folder with documents and music is in (C and as a result it is now full. (D contains nothing apart from a few backup files.

Does anyone know how I can just have one drive, (C, or move some of my installed programs or my user folder (Computer\Vista (C\Users\My_Name) over to (D. Can I just drag & drop?
              Something is wrong there.
              Where is D: ?

Computers with recovery partitions usually have drive D: for that purpose.
              On my PC it is 5 GB.
              Someone created the Drive E: partition with the help of Vista, you can use it freely.
              Drag and drop some folders with data from C: to E:

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Shamil.
                • Feb 2008
                • 4.2.X

Windows 7 doesn't seem have have created a backup partition hmmm. Vista did, but I removed it becuase Windows Home Server backup up the system everyday.
                Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                vBulletin Hosting and Services
                Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ct2k7
                  Windows 7 doesn't seem have have created a backup partition hmmm. Vista did, but I removed it becuase Windows Home Server backup up the system everyday.
                  No, Windows 7 did not create it and Vista did not create it automatically.
                  It is the manufacturer who created it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ct2k7
                    Windows 7 doesn't seem have have created a backup partition???
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by 051119
                      Thanks for your reply. Is it though, as it is some 50gb, the same size as the Vista portion? Seems a bit of a waste. The laptop manufacturer does claim it has a 100gb hardrive.

If C:\ is approx 50GB there is your answer

You can just delete the restore partition, you will then have removed all possibility to do a full OEM restore.. If you're okay with that, then that is your choice.. Be sure you have the OS install disc to do a complete full install before doing so, and just use the OEM install key that is on the label, on the system chassis....
                      But remember, no-one here can support you doing that, even though they will probably help out as it is very easy to do, it must be done by you alone.. And if you're not 100% confident you can do so, don't do it!!!
                      Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Tue 1 Sep '09, 4:55am.
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Shamil.
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by beishe8
                        No, Windows 7 did not create it and Vista did not create it automatically.
                        It is the manufacturer who created it.
                        The install from MSDN did...

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                        Windows 7 doesn't seem have have created a backup partition???
                        Nope, just one partition.
                        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                        vBulletin Hosting and Services
                        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...