X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vile
    • Jul 2002
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Sergio68
    You would like to receive for good a free update like that from MS, no more viruses, stable OS

Nice try, but not quite.
    I've been virus free on my Windows machine for 10+ years and the single time it did get infected is when a friend used my system.

Stable OS? Have you actually used Vista or Windows 7 for that matter? I'm going to guess and say no, since both of those OS' are rock solid and very stable, unless of course you're just being biased like most Apple Zealots.

Oh and typing this on my MacBook Pro right now - the same one where the OS went corrupt and had to be restored recently, the irony, go figure.

My point is, both Windows and Mac OS have their advantages and disadvantages and the sooner people realize that instead of just using die hard opinions to bash one or the other, we'd all be better off.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Sergio68
      • May 2002
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Vile
      Nice try, but not quite.
      I've been virus free on my Windows machine for 10+ years and the single time it did get infected is when a friend used my system.

Stable OS? Have you actually used Vista or Windows 7 for that matter? I'm going to guess and say no, since both of those OS' are rock solid and very stable, unless of course you're just being biased like most Apple Zealots.

Oh and typing this on my MacBook Pro right now - the same one where the OS went corrupt and had to be restored recently, the irony, go figure.

My point is, both Windows and Mac OS have their advantages and disadvantages and the sooner people realize that instead of just using die hard opinions to bash one or the other, we'd all be better off.
      I didn't want to, but....

Everybody is always virus free forever, but you look around and you may find bunch of forums full of "help, I got stuck" or "help virus". Every good technician knows ho to to fix windows problems, format and that's it, isn't it?

You may be virus free.... if you don't go there, you don't do this, you have 3 antivirus, 2 firewall, an antispyware a super-total-scan, too bad that they waste 50% of you CPU, kind of running 110 metres hurdless with a football vest, bulletproof jacket, safety boots and always remembere be careful not to do that.

Ask yourself why you cannot even find one single anitivirus program for Unix machines.

And windows 7 the perfect and stable os? Sure, it's an alpha release, with just a couple of drivers, wait for the final release, then start to pump inside it tons and tons of libraries and drivers, each single one it's a possible hole.

Unix systems works on a whole different level, with differente priority on different processes, it's an all different world.

And talking about irony, I letteraly ended my cuss words when I used windows during the last 10 years, until 5 years ago, when I switched to Mac, from since then no more problems, go figure.
      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• KW802
        • Jul 2003

Ask yourself why you cannot even find one single anitivirus program for Unix machines.
        You may want to rephrase that.
        [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus
          While Mac-specific vulnerabilities and threats don’t make news headlines as often as other devices, they’re certainly not immune to attacks. That’s why it’s important to equip your Mac with antivirus that stays on top of emerging viruses and malware and why we remain dedicated to providing protection for Macs.

Anti-virus for Macs... hmmm.....
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• KW802
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus
            While Mac-specific vulnerabilities and threats don’t make news headlines as often as other devices, they’re certainly not immune to attacks. That’s why it’s important to equip your Mac with antivirus that stays on top of emerging viruses and malware and why we remain dedicated to providing protection for Macs.

Anti-virus for Macs... hmmm.....
            Plus "Snow Leopard" itself contains some anti-Malware functionality now.
            [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Sergio68
              • May 2002
              • 6.0.X

Ok, let me rephrase, they started to sell refrigerators to eskimos.

You may buy an antivirus for Unix machines but most of the time they clean windows viruses from emails or they are used to catch flies.

This is a list of latest viruses threat : feed://www.f-secure.com/exclude/vdesc-xml/latest_50.rss let me look for a Mac virus, I may take a while, see you later.

Ok, ok, it's not perfect, it's just better

Jokes apart, you may enter in every system, almost every server can be defaced, but if you just surf the internet a Unix pc usually is much more safer than a windows one.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Eskimos use refrigerators to keep their foods above a certin temprature.

Comment

• Sergio68
                  • May 2002
                  • 6.0.X

Ok I surrender

Comment

• Vile
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 3.6.x

I didn't want to, but....

Everybody is always virus free forever, but you look around and you may find bunch of forums full of "help, I got stuck" or "help virus". Every good technician knows ho to to fix windows problems, format and that's it, isn't it?
                    It depends, if it's actual technician, no they won't just immediately go to a 'format' and restore the computer. Most of us good techs will try to manually remove whatever infection is there first, and only do a restore as a last resort if it's absolutely needed.

You may be virus free.... if you don't go there, you don't do this, you have 3 antivirus, 2 firewall, an antispyware a super-total-scan, too bad that they waste 50% of you CPU, kind of running 110 metres hurdless with a football vest, bulletproof jacket, safety boots and always remembere be careful not to do that.
                    Your analogy is rather flawed. Nothing personal, but it seems you may not have a whole lot of experience in this area, so I'll clarify a few things. Having multiple antivirus software will cause them to conflict with each other. One can have as many antispyware programs they want, but having multiple or "3" as you put it antivirus programs is a definite no, and this will most definitely cause problems. Not to mention to mention that security software does not take up 50% of your resources.

And windows 7 the perfect and stable os? Sure, it's an alpha release, with just a couple of drivers, wait for the final release, then start to pump inside it tons and tons of libraries and drivers, each single one it's a possible hole.

Unix systems works on a whole different level, with differente priority on different processes, it's an all different world.

And talking about irony, I letteraly ended my cuss words when I used windows during the last 10 years, until 5 years ago, when I switched to Mac, from since then no more problems, go figure.
                    I don't recall anyone saying Windows 7 was perfect, but instead, that its' a very stable OS, which is certainly true and its quite clear that you've had little to no experience actually using Vista or Windows 7.
                    You make it seem as if Unix is perfect, try making your own drivers for hardware on your system that drivers are not available for like some of us have had to do, then let me know how flawless it is.

More often then not, problems come down to user error. People doing things they shouldn't be, people getting their computers infected by using file sharing programs, etc. As a technician who repairs dozens of computers on a weekly basis for hardware and software issues, this the most common thing I see, and yes this goes for both Windows and Mac OS.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a regular user of both OSX and XP/Vista/Windows 7 and I find it amusing that so many are shocked at the sheer amount of viruses targeted for Windows machines then compared to Apple, and use this as their main argument. Why would anyone who's looking to cause harm to other's computers target and OS that has ~ 10% of the population as opposed to the ~ 90% that Windows has? So shocking that it's actually logical.
                    Last edited by Vile; Thu 27 Aug '09, 5:25pm.
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

I was looking for some help, but I see that Mac-Floris-Apple-Guy isn't anymore on-board, tell me little bit before you sink me too and I'll quit

C'mon, you know better than me what's the real difference between a Unix-like system and a Windows one

Comment

• MrNase
                        • Jun 2003
                        • 3.8.x

Great, this went from:
                        I am happy about my Snow Leopard order, I don't care about Windows.

to

Oh great, the Windows guys don't like Snow Leopard (or the Mac in general) and they hijack our thread.

I don't really care about what viruses you have or had or about your good or bad experiences with Vista or Windows 7 - this thread is about Snow Leopard, built to make a great OS even better.
                        That's the end of that!

Comment

• Sergio68
                          • May 2002
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Vile
                          Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a regular user of both OSX and XP/Vista/Windows 7 and I find it amusing that so many are shocked at the sheer amount of viruses targeted for Windows machines then compared to Apple, and use this as their main argument. Why would anyone who's looking to cause harm to other's computers target and OS that has ~ 10% of the population as opposed to the ~ 90% that Windows has? So shocking that it's actually logical.
                          Since I'm a system administrator I'm a regular user of pretty much every OS, Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, and the truth about viruses is that windows systems are more easy to deface, it's not a cospiracy against windows only becouse they are the most numerous, believe me.

I'll tell you a story, 4 years ago, I gave to my sons two pcs, to my doughter a Kubuntu Linux, to my son a Windows Xp, just installed, fresh, update and with all service packages.
                          The Xp pc took the first of much more virus to follow after two hour, the Linux pc is still going.

Comment

• Sergio68
                            • May 2002
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
                            Thx, I know where you are, it was a joke

Comment

• hitmancode47
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 3.8.x

So Snow Tiger is OSX?
                              Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Sergio68
                                • May 2002
                                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                                So Snow Tiger is OSX?
                                Yep, just installed.

Changed? ............................................... Almost nothing

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...