Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
    Doesn't sound legit to me. Gotta agree with both Wayne and Steve here.
    No surprises there.

Why didn't you agree with other people other than Steve and Wayne who also thought is sounded doggy?

Comment

• aussiefooty
      • Nov 2008
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
      No surprises there.

Why didn't you agree with other people other than Steve and Wayne who also thought is sounded doggy?
      I'm smart enough to know the pros and cons of these things. You don't go putting up a license up on eBay, even if you really want to sell it.
      You contact the sales team here first to see what the options are that they give you.

If you went and bought that license and found out that it was all a fraud and the license wasn't even that person's who sold it to you, you would be in deep trouble as you would be buying stolen goods.

You never know if the pc was stolen in the first place and the person who decided to put the license up on ebay may be looking for money to cover his tracks.
      That's why it is dodgey.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

You don't go putting up a license up on eBay
        Why not? eBay is the best place to sell something on the net fast

Comment

• aussiefooty
          • Nov 2008
          • 6.0.X

Why not? eBay is the best place to sell something on the net fast
          You don't do that ever. Ebay's rubbish and any other online bidding sites are rubbish as well.
          If you want to sell a license do it on here.
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

You can't sell a second-hand vBulletin license on here, it's not allowed. This is not "vBeBay" you know! Try it and see how long your thread remains before it's deleted, along with a possible infraction you might receive for posting it.

Why do you think nobody ever does it?
            Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 24 Aug '09, 5:41pm.

Comment

• Nick
              • Feb 2008
              • 3.8.x

You don't do that ever. Ebay's rubbish and any other online bidding sites are rubbish as well.
              Yes, eBay is rubbish. That's why nobody ever uses it anymore and it's really fading away from our Internet society. I think the majority of people don't even know what eBay is nowadays.

Right
              Regards,
              Nick

Comment

• Nick
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.8.x

You spend so much time here trying to be all great and mighty, yet you don't even know that you can't sell your licenses here? I'm confused...
                Regards,
                Nick

Comment

• bigwater
                  • Jan 2007

Well ignoring the schwab2clarkson spin on this thread and resulting need for frustrated responses...

It's not hard to cross reference the seller of that license on ebay to less than a handfull of potential users here. It won't be that hard to confirm the user's id here via ebay's connect system and establish a link between the user and the seller. It took me all of five minutes to figure out which user it was based on posting details in the ebay ad and timelines of user patterns on this site.

There's nothing wrong with buying a license off of ebay if you can verify the validity of the offer and the ensuing details. It's called "homework", and as long as it checks out, save the $60 and buy it there. If it doesn't check out right away with initial verifications, stay away, but if the savings is worth the amount of time you have to spend to make sure it's legit, go for it.
                  Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

It took me all of five minutes to figure out which user it was based on posting details in the ebay ad and timelines of user patterns on this site.
                    Interesting, I think I know who that person is also now. Along with "maybe" a little "more information" from another post as well. Hum!

Comment

• bigwater
                      • Jan 2007

Exactly

All it would take is an ebay connect email saying "send me a PM from your userid at vbulletin.com giving me the license number so I can verify with staff and we have a deal." That may be a bit simplistic, but you get the drift.
                      Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 6.0.X

Then you find out that it is a dodgey scam asking for your bank details.
                        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Was that a hint of sarcasm

PS: Check your PM bigwater

Comment

• bigwater
                            • Jan 2007

Then you find out that it is a dodgey scam asking for your bank details.
                            I wouldn't find that... of course I know how to do research before I'd contact the guy in the first place.

Go look at the sellers name. Now come back over here and do a search on a partial match for that name. Not too many matches, huh? Now narrow that down to members that have been registered for a few years. Now narrow it down to members who might sell in international currency. I come up with a grand total of ONE match. Now, email the guy through eBay's seller question system and ask him to PM you from his account on the board giving you the license number so you can verify it's legitimacy. If he refuses, be done with it. If he complies, verify the legitimacy of the details and proceed with normal caution. All of this should just be common sense, but I guess not for everybody

Was that a hint of sarcasm

PS: Check your PM bigwater
                            Dang... no PM from the seller yet LOL. I replied.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 3.8.x

I disagree with that, online bidding sites ARE the best for selling stuff, Licences CAN be sold there, but everytime it is a risk, but you cant really say that "other bidding sites are rubbish too" as thats purely untrue, i buy from bidding sites all the time.
                              Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• JakeS
                                • Jul 2005

I'm smart enough to know the pros and cons of these things. You don't go putting up a license up on eBay, even if you really want to sell it.
                                You contact the sales team here first to see what the options are that they give you.

If you went and bought that license and found out that it was all a fraud and the license wasn't even that person's who sold it to you, you would be in deep trouble as you would be buying stolen goods.

You never know if the pc was stolen in the first place and the person who decided to put the license up on ebay may be looking for money to cover his tracks.
                                That's why it is dodgey.
                                Really? Lets see here shall we..

Why not? It's not illegal to do so, and with the right checks, it could be perfectly fine.

Of which, will say "We do not sell licenses on this forum, you must sell them externally. Your license needs to be at least 3 months active etc etc, please sell else-ware" For example, on ebay.

Which is why you do proper checks first.

Again, is why you do the proper checks. If that really is the case, and your that paranoid, get vB to contact the real seller and get them to confirm they are selling it.

I've sold goods on ebay before. Like a dirt bike most recently, I never got conned. Nor did I con anyone.

I've purchased on ebay before, same story never got conned, Nor conned anyone.

Most of the time it's rare that people really get conned, and in which case if you do, you contact paypal, and they will eventually give you your money back after confirming it. Thus you don't really loose much, and after they confirm it, they ban the user so it doesn't happen again. As long as you do your homework, you'll be fine, and considering the sell has quite a high rating of 100% I'd take a good guess to say their not conning anyone. It's the users with 0 feedback, or with negative feedback that you watch out for.

Their is only two ways of getting good feedback on ebay: Being a good seller, or being a good buyer. And in both cases, they would get neither if they was a conner.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...