Is there any free forum that looks much like vBulletin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedro Rodolfo
    • Aug 2009
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat Is there any free forum that looks much like vBulletin?

Not just in style, but that is kind a clone of vBulletin, the most similar to vBulletin.

I'm Fascinated by vBulletin, and I want to see if any free reaches this size.

Or that there MODs for forums that allow much the same as vBulletin.

H[B]ugs. xD
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

your best guess would be here: http://www.forummatrix.org/

you will not have any good suggestion on vb.com
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Pedro Rodolfo
      • Aug 2009
      • 3.8.x

Very thanks man. ;D

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Pedro Rodolfo
        Not just in style, but that is kind a clone of vBulletin, the most similar to vBulletin.

I'm Fascinated by vBulletin, and I want to see if any free reaches this size.

Or that there MODs for forums that allow much the same as vBulletin.

H[B]ugs. xD
        Most people would say MyBB, but I don't agree at all and hate it with a passion. Having tried most free boards, as well as vBulletin. I'd say the closest right now is without a doubt the new SMF 2 RC1.2 version. And in the next release it will come with a brand new theme: http://www.simplemachines.org/commun...topic=293556.0

Download Link: http://download.simplemachines.org/

I have it installed locally on my computer, and it's very good indeed. I'm waiting to see the new theme myself. Personally, I'd say it's the best free board out there hands down easily. It wipes the floor with MyBB and all other free boards. But I do mean the latest RC version of SMF 2, not SMF 1 series
        Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 23 Aug '09, 5:16pm.

Comment

• aussiefooty
          • Nov 2008
          • 6.0.X

Why would you want to look at something that is for free when you know that the real thing is better than the freebies?
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
            Why would you want to look at something that is for free when you know that the real thing is better than the freebies?
            Just because there are free bulletin board systems doesn't mean their bad. SMF, MyBB, phpBB are all very good at what they're designed to do.

That said, vBulletin is great, too, but some people simply can't afford it or don't want to pay for it, hence why they may find a free solution works better for them.
            Forums

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

Same as what Quillz said really, that some people can't afford vBulletin. But to add to that, some people ony want a small hobby forum, and are not looking for it to cost them much to keep it going. So free alternatives have there spot there.

Comment

• wii
                • Sep 2000
                • 3.8.x

This looks like vBulletin:

Comment

• aussiefooty
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Quillz
                  Just because there are free bulletin board systems doesn't mean their bad. SMF, MyBB, phpBB are all very good at what they're designed to do.

That said, vBulletin is great, too, but some people simply can't afford it or don't want to pay for it, hence why they may find a free solution works better for them.
                  Yeah I see your point. It's just that they will find that the support that they will get won't be as good as what they would get on here.

Originally posted by MRGTB
                  Same as what Quillz said really, that some people can't afford vBulletin. But to add to that, some people ony want a small hobby forum, and are not looking for it to cost them much to keep it going. So free alternatives have there spot there.
                  As what I said, with those free forums, the support that they get isn't as good as what we get on here.
                  Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                  Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

True, you do get better support here. But where talking about a free board here, vBulletin is not free. So it's obvious you'll get better support seeing as it's included in the price.

Comment

• MovieHeretic
                      • Feb 2009

Guess you get what you pay for in the long run. I always figure you get better support from a professional software company. No problems with vB support thus far, we have had our questions answered toot sweet (as we say down under around Fountain Gardens way).

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

Yeah I see your point. It's just that they will find that the support that they will get won't be as good as what they would get on here.

As what I said, with those free forums, the support that they get isn't as good as what we get on here.
                        Actually, considering how many people use freeware solutions, I've actually never had any trouble getting support for the systems I use to run, like SMF and phpBB.

Paid, commercial support is generally faster, but a big open source community can be extremely helpful, too.
                        Forums

Comment

• beishe8
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Quillz
                          ...but a big open source community can be extremely helpful, too.
                          They can be. Used to run phpbb, a few hours and help was there.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• hitmancode47
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 3.8.x

I personally love the new SMF theme, PHPBB3 i make my own with, so problems are not there.

But vBulletin for me has always been one of the best board systems.
                            Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Why is everyone trying to get him to buy a vB I'm sure he will when the time is right. For now they are looking for a different solution.

I don't know if other boards operate like vB, BUT there are MANY skins out there, that seem like a vB board skin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...