Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hi :D
    • Jul 2009

Forum concern

I have a question concerning forum advertising that's sold to retailers and any kind of regulation site admins hold. Recently, on a forum I browse through frequently, there have been retailers that have been selling replicated items using vague words to distinguish them from being real and fake; words such as 'variant, or replicated'. None of the sellers are claiming the items to be real, but if asked, they do clearly state that they are indeed fake. The site admins have threatened these retailers, which have purchased forum privileges to be listed under 'Advertisers', to censoring or forcing them to use more distinct words to clarify any confusion between real and fake items.

My questions:

1. Is it legal for the site admins to force these 'advertisers' to list items with undesirable works such as 'fake, knock-off'?

Thanks.

I hope I don't cause any confusion.
  • andrew johnson
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Hi :D
    I have a question concerning forum advertising that's sold to retailers and any kind of regulation site admins hold. Recently, on a forum I browse through frequently, there have been retailers that have been selling replicated items using vague words to distinguish them from being real and fake; words such as 'variant, or replicated'. None of the sellers are claiming the items to be real, but if asked, they do clearly state that they are indeed fake. The site admins have threatened these retailers, which have purchased forum privileges to be listed under 'Advertisers', to censoring or forcing them to use more distinct words to clarify any confusion between real and fake items.

My questions:

1. Is it legal for the site admins to force these 'advertisers' to list items with undesirable works such as 'fake, knock-off'?

Thanks.

I hope I don't cause any confusion.
    its best is contact them admins but better is tell trading standards or department about fake items

Comment

• Hi :D
      • Jul 2009

Well, I'm not really concerned about sellers selling items that are fake. These items are copyrighted in different country which aren't valid in the US. I'm not saying I condone the selling of fake items..but of course that's beside the point.

My point is are the admins allowed to do that when retailers are purchasing 'advertising' status to post on that forum.

It just doesn't seem legal for admins to do that.

It's if someone purchased a billboard and where told to change a certain word(s) because the person who owns the billboard doesn't like it. Seems that people have their rights when it comes to purchasing things of this nature.

Comment

• Fusion
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Hi :D
        Well, I'm not really concerned about sellers selling items that are fake. These items are copyrighted in different country which aren't valid in the US. I'm not saying I condone the selling of fake items..but of course that's beside the point.

My point is are the admins allowed to do that when retailers are purchasing 'advertising' status to post on that forum.

It just doesn't seem legal for admins to do that.

It's if someone purchased a billboard and where told to change a certain word(s) because the person who owns the billboard doesn't like it. Seems that people have their rights when it comes to purchasing things of this nature.
        As I see it they only purchase the right to use the forum, governed by whatever guidelines the admin setup concerning its usage. So the admins are well within their rights if they choose to regulate how the information is displayed on their forum.

If the advertisers do not accept that they are free to move elsewhere.
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• bigwater
          • Jan 2007

It is the board owner's responsibility to set guidelines for his advertisers that not only reflect positively on his board, but also do not infringe on the rights of the real copyright holders of the products in question. It's a legal/moral tangle when he forces the advertisers to use the words "fake" or "knockoff", because the legal copyright owners may attempt to come after him for allowing those adverts on his site, whereas if he just let them advertise as they wanted he could claim ignorance to the validity of the advertiser's claims. Personally, I'd avoid the hassle and just tell them to go advertise elsewhere.
          Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...