Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MovieHeretic
    • Feb 2009

Way Off-Topic Harry Potter is something of a beast box office wise

Just having a look at the Down Under results and the latest Potter epic has almost blockbusted on opening weekend

Holy cow there must be some Potter fans out there.
  • Ryan Ashbrook
    • May 2003

I will say this, and only this.

I was highly disappointed with the ending.
    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• ---MAD---
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

The movie was complete and utter crap for lack of a better description. The acting is horrible, I got bored 45 minutes into the movie and could not wait till it ended. I only stayed because I knew I would be forced to watch the next 2 movies .

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
        I will say this, and only this.

I was highly disappointed with the ending.
        That is exactly how the book ended. No surprises there. Though I would suspect that people who didn't read the books would be disappointed at the ending.

This story was kind of slow in the book series as well. It is very much a build up for Deathly Hallows which they have split into two movies.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          That is exactly how the book ended. No surprises there. Though I would suspect that people who didn't read the books would be disappointed at the ending.

This story was kind of slow in the book series as well. It is very much a build up for Deathly Hallows which they have split into two movies.
          Spoilers Ahead

I did read the book, and it's not exactly how it ended.

Where was the epic fight between the Death Eaters and the Students?

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

Spoilers Ahead

I did read the book, and it's not exactly how it ended.

Generally, the movies are an entire deviation from how the books play out, which is sad really.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
              • May 2003

It wasn't that far from the book though... it was just that one part, and it happened to be the part I was most looking forward too.

Comment

• MovieHeretic
                • Feb 2009

Haven't read the book, so the movie I guess is going to have to stand on it's own merits when we see it next Saturday (evil plan to avoid the crowds). Has to be better than "Twilight" surely

Comment

• Onimua
                  • Apr 2005

It wasn't that far from the book though... it was just that one part, and it happened to be the part I was most looking forward too.
                  There was more than that. And I'm talking about the series in general as well.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Movies and books are two very different mediums. You cannot recreate a book completely in a movie because it goes past the attention span of the viewer. Most movies have a run time of 90 minutes. This was 153 minutes. People are going to start getting fidgety at that point. This is one reason why I am glad that the last book has been divided into two movies so more of the story can be retained.

On its own the series is very well put together and there is fairly strong continuity. Luckily the actors haven't aged quickly even though most of the "children" are in the 20s now.

I'll admit that I don't remember this. Though it has been a few years since I read the book. Not a series that I have reread for any purpose. It doesn't really hinder the story though and I can understand why it would be left out of a screenplay.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Onimua
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Movies and books are two very different mediums. You cannot recreate a book completely in a movie because it goes past the attention span of the viewer. Most movies have a run time of 90 minutes. This was 153 minutes. People are going to start getting fidgety at that point. This is one reason why I am glad that the last book has been divided into two movies so more of the story can be retained.

On its own the series is very well put together and there is fairly strong continuity. Luckily the actors haven't aged quickly even though most of the "children" are in the 20s now.
                      I know that, but there were some "core" elements to the story that have been removed or changed dramatically that if left untouched the first time around, would've been just fine and played out well in the movie.

Part of it I think has come from the fact that Rowling allowed "free creativity" in a lot of the aspects of the film. Most of that creativity really ruins what otherwise would be a very nice film (at least how I would think it'd go).

Towards the comment of the spoiler: They not only left out that battle, but also the funeral of Dumbledore -- I can't believe they actually left that part out.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Onimua
                        There was more than that. And I'm talking about the series in general as well.
                        I admit, I don't remember much of the book either, but I do remember that one part they left out.

And I know what you mean regarding the rest of the series.

Comment

• Gray Matter
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 3.7.x

As far as Dumbledore's funeral, I was extremely annoyed that was left out. I was also sort of perplexed to see that the first memory that Dumbledore and Harry see (Bob Morkin's), where we see Voldemort's mother and father, was completely absent.

HBP was my favorite of the books, and my favorite of the movies, but I definitely expected some of those core scenes to be left intact.
                          Twitter

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.8.x

I watched harry potter once, with my girl friend at the times son, the first one for 5 mins..
                            I totally drifted off .. Not sleeping , just wondering how I could redecorate the walls etc,...

I just know I never want to see another one, or the original again.. Nothing against the people that love it, that's your thing and totally up to you..

I love Horror/Drama/Comedy movies, I am sure many of you don't.. It is just not my thing!~!

Plus I remember the book was leaked years ago, and people were dying to know the ending and people un friended people that blew the ending for them, I found that just ridiculous!! lol
                            Its just a book, relax!! It is nothing to lose friends over!!
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Gray Matter
                              As far as Dumbledore's funeral, I was extremely annoyed that was left out.
                              I am not... It is the perfect lead in for Movie 7. It can be used to signify that the students didn't return home to have a summer break as opposed to all the previous stories.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...