X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Milado
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat Google Chrome Operation System! I'm excited

Google Chrome Operation System! ant it will be opened source! I'm excited, people!

Introducing the Google Chrome OS
    Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.
  • Shamil.
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.2.X

Meh, still based on Linux.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ct2k7
      Meh, still based on Linux.
      And? Thats a bad thing?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Well if its anything like Chrome, than count me out. Chrome is one of the worst applications around in my opinion. Might be a nice toy but doubtful something that I would use full time. I expect it to be featureless like all their other applications.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

Apple has an amazing UI and its built on BSD/Unix or something like that. It will be interesting to see if Google, at the very least, can put a polish on it as well and bring it more into the mainstream.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Andy Huang
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Milado
            Google Chrome Operation System! ant it will be opened source! I'm excited, people!

Introducing the Google Chrome OS
            IIRC, people found code hinting for a desktop version of Android shortly after Google released Android. So I guess its not too big of a surprise, but it's quite a surprise that it won't be until 2nd half of 2010 before we can get our hands on it.
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
              Apple has an amazing UI and its built on BSD/Unix or something like that.

Its 100% Certified Unix, which is its best quality... UI being second, features lacking!!!!
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• minx
                • Nov 2003
                • 3.8.x

If Google made an Operating system, would you use it?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Didn't Googles chrome have privacy issues when they first started out? now with china actively placing filtering software (and whatever else) into new PC's for their users, i wonder how wonderfully fantastic Googles op-sys might be, totally free from advertising also I'm sure... *cough*

Looking forward to "google-wife" when they release it, In fact i want to have the word "google" stamped onto my forehead, just hold up your wi-fi connection to my bonce and your online in moments...

I suppose if your just going to be using your notebook or whatever just for web surfing etc then it may well help you...

Can you see a new line of Chrome-Op fanboys in the future saying "ditch winblows mate... Chrome, i can type convoluted lines of code into a small window and do what you do in double the time, cos im bloody cool...." fark auf!

i dunno..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Threads merged. We don't need multiple threads on this.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy Huang
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                    Its 100% Certified Unix, which is its best quality... UI being second, features lacking!!!!
                    I used to think just like that (features lacking part), but now that I've made the jump, I've not found anything I can do on Windows that I can't do on OSX... short applications (read: games) developed for DirectX only... and for old times sakes, right click. On the bright side though, without those applications, my productivity is slightly higher (read: there are new OSX games to try ).
                    Best Regards,
                    Andy Huang

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Have you seen Android?? Have you seen Google Chrome??

This OS will be no better, and they both were not very good... Android is just an idle device, when you compare it to other devices...

They were rushed, mediocre.. Yet!! "Breakthrough" software, and devices according to Google..

Any OS to come from them will be about the same, not to put Google down, but they can't just suddenly say "Oh we decided that we want to be like Microsoft, or Apple"
                      Or maybe linus torvalds brother is suddenly on the scene??

It just don't work that way, sorry Google!.
                      It will be some time before a very usable, and stable OS comes out of Google in my opinion...
                      Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Wed 8 Jul '09, 6:54am.
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Milado
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.8.x

I agree, it will be basic in the beginning, but it will evolve definitely.
                        Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• Razasharp
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 3.7.x

I think it's great news. It will be more mass-market than all other linux builds because people trust the google brand, plus they are putting their own stamp on things which I think will be what makes it really stand out. It may well be the mass market OS of the future...
                          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Dream
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 3.6.x

Choice is good, especially when one is bug ridden bloatware and the other is scientific uber complicated command line OS.

(edit: to be honest though, I don't get many bugs with Windows nowadays, but Win 95/98 where hell)

(edit2: and if google OS ran win games...)
                            Last edited by Dream; Wed 8 Jul '09, 9:59am.
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Dean C
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 3.5.x

Lot of google chrome haters in this thread I'm a convert and use it for my browsing at home and work. It's lightning quick, easily quicker than any other browser I've tried. Each tab is its own process resulting in a facet of performance benefits but you should go read the whitepaper (or comic) to find out more about that.

The only reason I wouldn't use chrome right now is when I'm developing a front-end and need to use Firebug or the Web Dev toolbar. Other than that I have no reason to go back to FF.

I'm curious, why exactly do others not like it?
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...