X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMBeaty
    • Mar 2005

Computer Chat Registry Cleaners

What do you use for your computer?

I'm currently searching for a good one for my laptop (actually have been for awhile) but have heard MANY mixed stories about alot of them. So, what do you use for your computer and are you satisfied with it and/or what would you recommend?
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
    "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
    "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I don't use any third party tools for things like that.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Have never really paid much attention to "cleaning the registry". I understand that process is usually the start of very bad things happening to your computer and the start of many people's issues. So just stay away from it.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• HMBeaty
        • Mar 2005

Ah, ok. Thanks Wayne Thats probably the best response I've heard out of any of them.
        "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
        "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
        "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• Dismounted
          • Sep 2006

I've seen people experience the things Wayne mentions - some (most?) simply screw it up. Better to stay away from them.

There isn't really much to "clean" anyway.

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

I've never had any issues after using the registry cleaners of CCleaner or jv16 PowerTools.
            Forums

Comment

• kuyenmotdivad
              • Apr 2006
              • 4.1.x

At the moment I'm using http://www.maxregistrycleaner.com/ and it works great.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                • Jul 2008
                • 3.8.x

Never used registry cleaner's, i only use Nod32 antivirus to protect my PC.

And a hardware firewall.
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Protoss
                  • Dec 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Years ago, when PC's were far less powerful, there was far less drive capacity and RAM was expensive, cleaning the registry, cutting back on this and that was considered necessary in order to keep your box in tip top condition and not run out of space.
                  I've always maintained that good housekeeping was enough.

Generally, nowadays, good housekeeping is still all that's required.
                  Defrag and use ccleaner to clean up your system.

Try not to clutter your desktop as it is just a folder and a cluttered desktop takes longer to load.

ccleaner can be used to clean the registry in a safe manner.

If you're experiencing slowdowns and freezes, cleaning the registry will not cure it, nor will it speed up your system if you are not having any problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                    In my experience, there is no such thing as a "Working PC" lol. they have always got problem's with them.
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• mlucek
                      • Dec 2004

I'll give a nod to CCleaner

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC. It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure! Download it FREE today.

Been using it for years and have never had a problem with it. While cleaning out the registry isn't what it used to be, it'll clear out unused entries and dangling references that many uninstalling software leaves behind.

The main thing I use it for is clearing out my disk of temp files, caches, junk files, etc. especially before backing up my drive. No sense in putting all the junk files into my backup. Just takes up space on the backup drive.

Mike

Comment

• Alfa1
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.8.x

I just installed and ran ccleaner. It seems to be a really nice improvement. it includes similar features as hijackthis. When installing I did get a prompt about installing Yahoo toolbar.
                        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• ministryofproles
                          • Jul 2009

I use Registry Booster by Uniblue and have had quite good luck with it.

Keep in mind that I am a self-taught 50 year old. So you folks will probably regard me as a real dumb ass.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...