Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You don't need persistent connections to do what they are doing in Google Wave. You just open a lot of consecutive little ones. Open a connection, send your data, close the connection and tell the user agent to display it. Go trace any AJAX powered chatroom to see the basic concept in action. Your browser will tell you that its constantly loading information.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      You don't need persistent connections to do what they are doing in Google Wave. You just open a lot of consecutive little ones. Open a connection, send your data, close the connection and tell the user agent to display it. Go trace any AJAX powered chatroom to see the basic concept in action. Your browser will tell you that its constantly loading information.
      I find it hard to believe that they'll be making almost constant calls to the server.
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
        That's what I'm trying to say. A browser uses HTTP which doesn't support persistent socket connections (natively). So how is a browser going to make a persistent connection to an XMPP server.

That is up to what Google has planned, you can use push and pull streams of XMPP XML over HTTP, to fully support all browsers..

Or Google could just use a XMPP client itself, and not use HTTP at all.. Right now there is about 100 of them...
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• R1lover
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.8.x

As we announced in August 2010, we are not continuing active development of Google Wave as a stand-alone product. Google Wave will be shut down in April 2012. This page details the implication of the

Watch the video, it's worth it.... and will make you think twice about where this is going and what it will be putting out of business when its' complete.

It's also going to be open source as well......

Very cool and interesting.
          www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

I can already envisage that once a permanence is developed through API's to put what you have in your wave so it remains in a forum type structure in any site... that many types of communication presently will end... IM's, email, file sharing.... all built into the one lovely little piece of communication brilliance. Forums will become more an archive tool.

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

Anyone else in the sandbox too ? It's not as great as it looks once you actually use it.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Shamil.
                • Feb 2008
                • 4.2.X

No invite for me at all Assumptions still stay - useless / not good until proven.
                Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                vBulletin Hosting and Services
                Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• jeffinj
                  • Apr 2006

Wow the wave looks too good. Lets all put our brains together and release a vbulletin wave alternative and may be call it wbulletin. :P
                  www.christianforumsite.com
                  sigpic

Comment

• Dismounted
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dean C
                    Anyone else in the sandbox too ? It's not as great as it looks once you actually use it.
                    I'm in there (and have been for a good couple of months). And yes, I agree with you - it ain't that great. Most of the niggles can be contributed with beta software though (e.g. random crashing everywhere, un-responsiveness, slowness, etc.).

Comment

• pablo
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 3.8.x

well if anyone has a spare invite , feel free to send it my way.
                      My Sites :

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                        • Mar 2005

I find the multilingual ability to be amazing from the demo... a complete breakthrough in communicating across the globe. The spell check also blew me away. No doubt all good things have bugs... though thinking forward a couple of years, how great could this be?

An API to integrate the multilingual component alone into something like vBulletin, completely removes the current issues off having versions in other languages, even complete replica's on another domain for country specific aspects. One site, all nations around the world, all languages, all immediately communicable in the language of the users choice. Pretty amazing to think about IMHO.

Comment

• Milado
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                          I find the multilingual ability to be amazing from the demo... a complete breakthrough in communicating across the globe. The spell check also blew me away. No doubt all good things have bugs... though thinking forward a couple of years, how great could this be?

An API to integrate the multilingual component alone into something like vBulletin, completely removes the current issues off having versions in other languages, even complete replica's on another domain for country specific aspects. One site, all nations around the world, all languages, all immediately communicable in the language of the users choice. Pretty amazing to think about IMHO.
                          Google Translation isn't perfect for all languages!
                          Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• Dismounted
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pablo
                            well if anyone has a spare invite , feel free to send it my way.
                            Google has to invite you. We don't get any invites (well at least I don't have any).

Comment

• the geek
                              • Jun 2003
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Milado
                              Google Translation isn't perfect for all languages!
                              Even human translators aren't perfect so I doubt their translator service will ever be better than modern grammar and spell checkers (which is still pretty damn good).

First off, thanks for this thread as I hadn't heard of wave before. I have now watched the hour and a half video and can say that I am very impressed with the concepts and goals.

I can only assume that this is still more alpha and proof of concept than beta and I assume it will be in the Googles never ending beta cycle. None the less, it is brilliance.

Early maps had wow factor too but was still lack luster in function for the first while. Now that it has matured, its a pretty solid and impressive tool. I feel this will be similar.

The real question that is of relevance here is: Will this be a threat or an opportunity for vB? The safe approach is to sit on the sideline and wait for the system to mature, however I think this approach will ultimately cost IB if they wait too long or move too slow and it indeed delivers.

I doubt wave will hit a usable maturity state for at least a year (more likely longer), but the next 'forum' leader will most likely be the one that gets a head start on figuring out how to harness and integrate into wave servers.
                              My Twitterings

Comment

• Milado
                                • Mar 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by the geek
                                Even human translators aren't perfect so I doubt their translator service will ever be better than modern grammar and spell checkers (which is still pretty damn good).
                                If your mother tongue is from Romance languages or Germanic languages, you will probably get impressed, but for a native speaker of Arabic which is one of the Semitic languages, Google Translation isn't better than the human produced translations, that's for sure. It's not usable yet.
                                Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...