Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by hawksgirl
    Yes it is flash based web browser hence the reason why you have so many plugins. It says it on the site....

The first thing you have to do once you have downloaded the program is install the flash plugin.....
    FireFox is primarily written in C++, not Flash
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Christie
      • Oct 2004

I loved Firefox, much preferred it to the other browsers I'd used (IE and Opera) but it was crashing on me several times a day and I finally uninstalled it yesterday.

Comment

• aussiefooty
        • Nov 2008
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        FireFox is primarily written in C++, not Flash
        No it's not.

1. You have your computer on 24/7. Try switching off your computer and let it rest.
        2. Firefox is a flash based web browser that is meant for mac users. That's why it is there.
        3. If you are still complaining about it go spend some money on a brand spanking new computer. You are using very old bits for your pc hence the reason why you computer crashes all the time.
        4. Use a different browser. They are all freebies.
        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• aussiefooty
          • Nov 2008
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by simsim
          Firefox is neither a Flash-based web browser, nor does it require the Flash plug-in to work.
          Nope. Everytime I have had to use firefox I have had to download the latest flash player.
          If you have got a Mac it is different for mac users.

For PC users you have to download the browser and the additional plugins for it.
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Milado
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by simsim
            I've been using Firefox since v1.5 and I'm not less happier now than when I made the decision to use it. I've never experienced early memory leaks people where bashing Firefox for it. I'm usually working with an enormous amount of tabs open through multiple Firefox windows. Yet. I've experienced the slightest of browser crashes, and in most cases the reason is a bad website or a buggy add-on.

Using Firefox 3.0.8 on WindowsXP Professional.

Regards,
            simsim
            A happy Firefox user

Same here! No memories leaks, some crashes afterwords solved by finding and eliminating the reason.
            Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• Milado
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.8.x

Nope. Everytime I have had to use firefox I have had to download the latest flash player.

For PC users you have to download the browser and the additional plugins for it.
              hawksgirl, You're totally wrong, please stop saying false facts, many of us are technicians here, and most likely, we know what we're talking about, your fact about Firefox being flash-based browser is absolutely wrong, and if it's quite right, then please provide your evidence.
              Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

No it's not.

1. You have your computer on 24/7. Try switching off your computer and let it rest.
                2. Firefox is a flash based web browser that is meant for mac users. That's why it is there.
                3. If you are still complaining about it go spend some money on a brand spanking new computer. You are using very old bits for your pc hence the reason why you computer crashes all the time.
                Firefox is not Flash based and doesn't even need Flash on the computer to run. In fact if you don't install Flash, Firefox will be more stable than if you do.

Firefox is a C++ application available to all major operating systems not just Macintoshes. Its largest userbases is actually people using Windows Computers due to its campaign to replace Windows Internet Explorer for security reasons. Firefox uses a language called XUL (based off of XML) and Javascript for its addons and interface not Flash. Firefox is not based on Flash anymore than Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari are.

Flash is a plugin made by Adobe that allows motion video based content within browsers. Very rarely is Flash used for stand alone applications. If someone were to use Adobe technology to build a web browser, it would most likely be under the Adobe AIR system which is designed to make standalone applications that access the Web.

You have to download the latest Flash player because of the content that you are trying to view not Firefox. If you visit this site, which uses no Flash, then you wouldn't be prompted to install the Flash Player after installing Firefox. The difference between Firefox and some other browsers is that the other browsers come pre-packaged with the Flash Player on install, whereas Firefox does not.

There are any number of reasons why Firefox will be stable on one system and not run on another:

Firefox version,
                Operating System Version,
                Patches installed on the OS,
                Firewall and Antivirus software installed,
                Theme(s) installed,
                Extension(s) installed,
                Configuration Settings,
                Profile Integrity,
                And more.

p.s. I am sure that ManagerJosh's computer is more than capable of running Firefox. My children run Firefox on their computers which were built in 2002 and 2003, have single core processors, 2 GB of RAM and outdated video cards without any problem. Both of their computers are running Windows XP SP2. If runs fine on my computer which is an AMD dual-core 2.6 GHZ CPU, 5 GB RAM, Nvidia 9800 GPU, and 300 GB hard drive. It runs on my wifes computer which is an AMD Phenom Quad Core with 8 GB RAM and a 750 GB harddrave but only 9150 GPU. It runs on my parents computers which are both 2.6 GHZ Dual Core Intel machines, 3 GB RAM and 500 GB Harddrives. All the computers run a variant of Windows.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dream
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 3.6.x

hmm firefox flash based that would be hard to program.
                  Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Milado
                    hawksgirl, You're totally wrong, please stop saying false facts, many of us are technicians here, and most likely, we know what we're talking about, your fact about Firefox being flash-based browser is absolutely wrong, and if it's quite right, then please provide your evidence.
                    And for the facts

Frontend is all XUL, Javascript, and CSS. The entire core is written in C++
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Icy
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Everytime I installed Windows Vista I have had to install Java RE. Does that mean Windows is a Java based OS?

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

flash
                        lol

Comment

• AWS
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 5.2.x

Firefox is garbage on my new iMac. Crashes as soon as I open more than 3 tabs. No addons installed either.

After the upgrade to 3.08 on my Windows box it became very unstable. Too the point that I went back to IE and Opera. Yesterday was the last straw. I installed Firefox on a clean install of Windows Vista on my new laptop. It locked up the box tighter than a drum. Had to ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manger and even then I couldn't kill the process. I had to do a hard reset. On reboot I started Firefox up again and same thing happened. Did another hard reset and on reboot I uninstalled it.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by AWS
                            Firefox is garbage on my new iMac. Crashes as soon as I open more than 3 tabs. No addons installed either.
                            Exact same thing on my iMac too.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

I am using safari on the imac at the moment, and no complaints, so .. will run that until i need my plugins from firefox

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                                • May 2008
                                • 3.7.x

No it's not.

LOL. I don't even know much about programming and I know this is completely wrong.

are you new to this stuff?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...