• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yves R.
    vBulletin QA
    • Nov 2003
    • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Mazinger
    I'm really confused to see some people here recommending Google Chrome over Firefox and Opera. Isn't it still beta?
    Final release since December

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Theater
      FireFox won't even open after the 3.0.8 update. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and it's just not working for me. I bet if I go through the registry and remove all the leftover entries and then try a reinstall that it'd work. I'm just going to wait until the next update. Hello Opera, may I have this seat?
      Open it with a new profile.. You could have issues with your profile that is causing the problems.

Right click on any shortcut to Firefox and add to the end of the target string outside the double quotes:

-p profile2 -no-remote

Don't worry if the profile doesn't exist it will pop up a dialog box asking which one you want to use. Just click "Create New". See if you still have problems with it loading or crashing regularly. The new profile won't have any of your addons, setting changes, customizations or bookmarks. However a clean slate is good for error checking. If it works without issue than its a setting change, something on about:config, an addon or plugin causing the problem.

p.s. the above also lets you run multiple Firefox instances and versions at the same time as well.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by hawksgirl
        Maybe it's your pc.
        If Firefox can clobber my Video editing rig, then I have my doubts it's the computer. I built this system from pieces and it handles Premiere Pro CS3, and After Effects CS3 concurrently with no problem.

Open up only just firefox, and my system dies.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• aussiefooty
          • Nov 2008
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          If Firefox can clobber my Video editing rig, then I have my doubts it's the computer. I built this system from pieces and it handles Premiere Pro CS3, and After Effects CS3 concurrently with no problem.

Open up only just firefox, and my system dies.
          How old is your computer?

FYI I don't have any problems with Firefox and I only got my computer in October last year.
          Sounds like you have an old system mate if you are using old parts.
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Yves R.
            vBulletin QA
            • Nov 2003
            • 5.6.X

My old PC was from October 2001 and Fx 3.0 have always work (even 3.5).

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Theater
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Open it with a new profile.. You could have issues with your profile that is causing the problems.

Right click on any shortcut to Firefox and add to the end of the target string outside the double quotes:

-p profile2 -no-remote

Don't worry if the profile doesn't exist it will pop up a dialog box asking which one you want to use. Just click "Create New". See if you still have problems with it loading or crashing regularly. The new profile won't have any of your addons, setting changes, customizations or bookmarks. However a clean slate is good for error checking. If it works without issue than its a setting change, something on about:config, an addon or plugin causing the problem.

p.s. the above also lets you run multiple Firefox instances and versions at the same time as well.
              Worked like a charm. I didn't really have too many customizations so a clean slate works for me.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

How old is your computer?

FYI I don't have any problems with Firefox and I only got my computer in October last year.
                Sounds like you have an old system mate if you are using old parts.
                Steve's Mac is barely two years old I'm guessing.

Age is relative for this PC . It was built for video editing. And search around these forums for my complaints about FireFox. I've complained that an empty download manager uses 1GB of RAM.

Those memory leaks are completely inexcusable.

To run Premiere Pro CS3 and After Effects CS3 concurrently and have them render a join project tells my PC is operating well within the tolerances I've designed it for. For FireFox to exceed those parameters tells me a lot.

And note: My PC does anywhere between 10-20 days of straight uptime normally without firefox. With firefox running, that gets cut down to 5-7 days.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Milado
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I use Firefox 3.0.x and it works like a charm, It crashes when I run a dictionary program, but no more after I've formatted my laptop, and installed everything from scratch.

I had an eye on Google Chrome, and I really like it, I'll wait until it has more customizable environment, then I'll do the switch, in case I'm not taken by FF 3.1

Regards
                  Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I have the latest and NEVER had issues on my win XP or mac so far....

Comment

• aussiefooty
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6.0.X

Steve's Mac is barely two years old I'm guessing.

Age is relative for this PC . It was built for video editing. And search around these forums for my complaints about FireFox. I've complained that an empty download manager uses 1GB of RAM.

Those memory leaks are completely inexcusable.

To run Premiere Pro CS3 and After Effects CS3 concurrently and have them render a join project tells my PC is operating well within the tolerances I've designed it for. For FireFox to exceed those parameters tells me a lot.

And note: My PC does anywhere between 10-20 days of straight uptime normally without firefox. With firefox running, that gets cut down to 5-7 days.
                      It's your computer. You need to get it serviced.
                      Also Firefox is a flash based operating system. You have to keep on adding things to it. That's the reason why your computer can't handle it for that long.
                      Don't use firefox. There are plenty of other browsers that you can use that would do the job for you. Opera is great, as is google chrome. The new I.E. 8 is good as well.
                      Firefox is used for mac's only.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• Dream
                        • Mar 2001
                        • 3.6.x

maybe its a RAM stick problem
                        Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                          • Jun 2002

It's your computer. You need to get it serviced.
                          Also Firefox is a flash based operating system. You have to keep on adding things to it. That's the reason why your computer can't handle it for that long.
                          Don't use firefox. There are plenty of other browsers that you can use that would do the job for you. Opera is great, as is google chrome. The new I.E. 8 is good as well.
                          Firefox is used for mac's only.
                          Excuse Me???????? My computer needs to be serviced? Boy I hope that was seriously an April Fools Prank!

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Adobe After Effects CS3 are FAR MORE DEMANDING applications because they are video editing applications. Especially After Effects when you start throwing 3D effects into the editing process.

To render and preview using both applications simultaneously uses close to 1.5-1.8GB of RAM for my system and all my CPU cycles. I don't experience crashes, or problems. I can have those programs up and running for five days straight and not experience any issues. All in the meanwhile I have background applications running like checking email or IM applications.

FireFox can barely handle 5 days and I would need to restart my system.

Firefox is not a flash based operating system; it's a web browser with flash plugin. Further more these problems are not exclusive to PCs or just my unit. As Steve was quick to point out above, he has a Mac as well that was purchased earlier in 2008 and FireFox is causing Mac OS X to be unstable.

I think the above clearly makes a case that FireFox indeed has troubles and woes.

Comment

• simsim
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3.6.x

I've been using Firefox since v1.5 and I'm not less happier now than when I made the decision to use it. I've never experienced early memory leaks people where bashing Firefox for it. I'm usually working with an enormous amount of tabs open through multiple Firefox windows. Yet. I've experienced the slightest of browser crashes, and in most cases the reason is a bad website or a buggy add-on.

Using Firefox 3.0.8 on WindowsXP Professional.

Regards,
                            simsim
                            A happy Firefox user

You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• aussiefooty
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6.0.X

Excuse Me???????? My computer needs to be serviced? Boy I hope that was seriously an April Fools Prank!

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Adobe After Effects CS3 are FAR MORE DEMANDING applications because they are video editing applications. Especially After Effects when you start throwing 3D effects into the editing process.

To render and preview using both applications simultaneously uses close to 1.5-1.8GB of RAM for my system and all my CPU cycles. I don't experience crashes, or problems. I can have those programs up and running for five days straight and not experience any issues. All in the meanwhile I have background applications running like checking email or IM applications.

FireFox can barely handle 5 days and I would need to restart my system.

Firefox is not a flash based operating system; it's a web browser with flash plugin. Further more these problems are not exclusive to PCs or just my unit. As Steve was quick to point out above, he has a Mac as well that was purchased earlier in 2008 and FireFox is causing Mac OS X to be unstable.

I think the above clearly makes a case that FireFox indeed has troubles and woes.
                              Yes it is flash based web browser hence the reason why you have so many plugins. It says it on the site....

The first thing you have to do once you have downloaded the program is install the flash plugin.....
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• simsim
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 3.6.x

Firefox is neither a Flash-based web browser, nor does it require the Flash plug-in to work.
                                You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...