X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AWS
    • Apr 2000
    • 5.2.x

>>WWWthreads (sorry UBBThreads) may get other databases added<<

wwwthreads already supports postgresql, oracle, sybase and mssql as well as mysql.

I don't really know what Infopop has planned but the buyout is a shock to us users of wwwthreads. I went with wwwthreads because I didn't like the arrogance shown by moderators and support people over there. I have used wwwthreads for 3 years and will move to Vbulletin soon.

John, if you read this, I'll get the dump to you this weekend. Out of town now.
    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
      • Jun 2000
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by AWS
      wwwthreads already supports postgresql, oracle, sybase and mssql as well as mysql.
      Actually I read this from their web page (don't know how current it is....)

Perl Version supports mySQL, PostGres and Oracle (still experimental).
      PHP Version supports mySQL only with PostGres in the works.
      And InfoPop will only be working on the PHP version.

(And yes, a PostgreSQL port will come along at some point for vB )

Comment

• Sinecure
        • Jul 2001

Yeah I have heard PostgreSQL is really going to give mySQL a run for their money
        Does anyone know where I could see an in-depth analysis of both of them?? To compare and contrast ??
        Board of the Month: November
        Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
        Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
        vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
          • Jun 2000
          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Sinecure
          Yeah I have heard PostgreSQL is really going to give mySQL a run for their money
          Yes, they've come a long, long way in the recent 7.0 and 7.1 releases in getting rid of some annoyances (mostly field limits), and really enhancing the overall speed and realiablity of the database. Here are some articles I really enjoyed reading:

Comment

• MarkG
            • Aug 2000

well, the flat files vs database issue has ended for infopop
            Who is Infopop’s target client for UBBThreads? Is it different from UBB?

We believe that UBBThreads will be ideal for folks with mid- to large-sized communities who have the technical skill to run a SQL database driven product. UBB will continue to be the portable solution, targeted at communities who may not need the power of a database.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
              • Jun 2000
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MarkG
              well, the flat files vs database issue has ended for infopop
              Well sure.... for years InfoPop customers were saying that they needed the power of a database, and InfoPop said flat-files were fine and more portable.... now that they actually have bought a database product to sell, it's ok to admit that mid- to large size boards need this power.

Comment

• Pilot
                • Apr 2000

You have to learn to read between the lines, when you've dealt with vendors for as long as I have you assume this will happen:

1 - UBB function will be stabilised. ie 6.2 will be the end, so that development effort can go into UBBThreads.

2 - Later there will be encouragement to migrate from UBB to UBBThreads so as to reduce UBB support costs.

3 - Later still UBB will be withdrawn from marketing due to "falling demand for an entry level only product".

Yes it might be officially the "low-end" solution but in reality it will be the Cinderella.

These are my own views - a guess if you like but I have seen similar situations before.

In the long term this is a good thing - but it all spells even more upset for current UBB users in the short term.

Comment

• MarkG
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Pilot
                  In the long term this is a good thing - but it all spells even more upset for current UBB users in the short term.
                  in the very short term(now) it's pretty bad for the perl users of wwwthreads

it's interesting what happens with the prices.

ubb is between 125$ and 899$ (with IP's cool idea of "the bigger you are the more you must spent for the same product")

ubbthreads will be sold at $229
                  Member Area Annual Subscription is $125 when the one for wwwthreads was $25

i cant seem to find the old price for wwwthreads since the info have been removed from that pricing page...

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                    • Jun 2000
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MarkG
                    ubbthreads will be sold at $229
                    Member Area Annual Subscription is $125 when the one for wwwthreads was $25

i cant seem to find the old price for wwwthreads since the info have been removed from that pricing page...
                    It was $200... not much of an increase, however I feel that after the holidays it may go up again.

Comment

• Skeptical
                      • Oct 2000

Incidentally, what ever happened to ultraboard?
                      Well, there it is.
                      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Pilot
                        • Apr 2000

WWWThreads was on sale for $100 for non-profit sites and $200 for commercial sites.

Comment

• orca
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Skeptical
                          Incidentally, what ever happened to ultraboard?
                          Well, the site http://www.ub2k.com is down since a while so I guess it's "dead".

Well, if you go to http://www.ultraboard.com there seems to be live again...Forget it, it's sth completely different than a webboard
                          Last edited by orca; Wed 17 Oct '01, 3:19am.
                          Ueli

Comment

• ShadowX
                            • Jul 2001

I think UBB had to be completly recoded,with MySQL,if it wants to be "King of all BB's" again

Comment

• Martyjp
                              • Jun 2001

Sorry I disagree

I think UBB had to be completly rewritten by Jelsoft, if it wants to be "King of all BB's" again

Comment

• bbyrd
                                • Apr 2000

Well i belive that UBB sucks has sucked and will continue to suck ikonboard could beat it no hands down & it's written in perl (not to mention i like perl )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...