X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amykhar
    • May 2001
    • 3.5.x

It's still written in perl. However, it now has a PHP wrapper for some of the UI.

Amy
    http://www.eaforums.com

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

UBB is still perl-based. My understanding is that they've added the option of an 'Acclerator' version that uses PHP as a 'wrapper' for the perl scripts. According to their monthly newsletter:

Accelerator is a PHP wrapper that allows you - with a properly configured server - to serve your cached UBB pages more efficiently and faster.
      Frankly I see this as an admission that they realize perl-based, flat-file BBs are showing their age. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them develop a PHP+mySQL version.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Dave#
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by smachol
        UBB is still perl-based. My understanding is that they've added the option of an 'Acclerator' version that uses PHP as a 'wrapper' for the perl scripts. According to their monthly newsletter:

Frankly I see this as an admission that they realize perl-based, flat-file BBs are showing their age. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them develop a PHP+mySQL version.
        Half right- the accelerator is nothing more elaborate than a zlib implementation.

I would also be very surprised to see them develop a pure PHP/Mysql version although some type of PERL - SQL version is on the cards.
        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

I can't see infopoop offering anything at all like a true database backend. that would allow the UBBers to run a direct competitor to OpenCrap on their own servers.

Given the business decisions they've made over the past 2 years, I can't see them being smart enough to do something that might enable them to regain some of their former prestige.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
            • Jun 2000
            • 4.0.x

Well InfoPoop is closing down their UBB support forums and merging them into the OpenTopic support forums.... that right there should tell you something

The PHP wrapper is not much more then adding zlib compression to make UBB appear to be quicker....

Comment

• vBRox
              • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Martin
              I can't see infopoop offering anything at all like a true database backend. that would allow the UBBers to run a direct competitor to OpenCrap on their own servers.

Given the business decisions they've made over the past 2 years, I can't see them being smart enough to do something that might enable them to regain some of their former prestige.

Comment

• Thomas P
                • Apr 2001

Interesting...

I can't believe that they still stick with perl & flat text files...

cu,
                -Tom
                www.MCSEboard.de
                German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• klisis
                  • May 2000

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                  Well InfoPoop is closing down their UBB support forums and merging them into the OpenTopic support forums.... that right there should tell you something

The PHP wrapper is not much more then adding zlib compression to make UBB appear to be quicker....

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

What I think is most interesting is the fact that IP staff have always said they will never use anything other than Perl and Flat Files - and here they are breaking it already

Comment

• klisis
                      • May 2000

Well, you didn't really believed in their words.. did you?

Originally posted by JamesUS
                      What I think is most interesting is the fact that IP staff have always said they will never use anything other than Perl and Flat Files - and here they are breaking it already

Comment

• Skeptical
                        • Oct 2000

Originally posted by klisis
                        Well, you didn't really believed in their words.. did you?

Yeah let's not get into their UBB Enterprise straight talk. If you ever need to find honest businessmen, look elsewhere.
                        Well, there it is.
                        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Fquist
                          • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber

Umm, I like you, Chris, and I do not like Infopop and their 'great' support, but, even tough your opinion is yours and not the development team's, shouldn't you be avoiding naming them Infopoop and things like that? I think for some people that scares them off the product..
                          Site: -http://www.jazz2online.com-
                          Forums -http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/-

Comment

• OnFire
                            • May 2000

Let the UBB bashing continue. This place never changes.

Comment

• Skeptical
                              • Oct 2000

Originally posted by Fquist

Umm, I like you, Chris, and I do not like Infopop and their 'great' support, but, even tough your opinion is yours and not the development team's, shouldn't you be avoiding naming them Infopoop and things like that? I think for some people that scares them off the product..
                              That was a typo. I've done that many times typing infoppop myself.
                              Well, there it is.
                              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Grumble
                                • Mar 2001

Originally posted by OnFire
                                Let the UBB bashing continue. This place never changes.
                                Quite possibly because this place doesnt operate a policy of automatically censoring and banning everyone who makes the slightest deviation from the company line.

I wouldnt be surprised if Charles Capps isnt at all happy with this situation. His stature on the Infopop heirarchy doesnt look anything like as high as it was.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...