X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blade-uk
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.7.x

Best CMS

So at the moment i have my vbulletin forum and vbadvanced CMS but i'm wondering if it's really the best thing for me.

I run a hardware review site and don't know of any other site that uses this design and style.

So i was looking at Vivvo CMS or Wordpress.

Is wordpress really that good?

Andy
    http://www.eteknix.com/images/misc/vbulletin4_logo.png
    eTeknix.com - http://www.eteknix.com
    eTeknix Forums - http://forums.eteknix.com
  • ridemonkey
    • Jun 2001

Depends on what you are hoping to accomplish in the content side of your site. If you want a straight blog, Wordpress is fantastic. If you want something more advanced with a strong taxonomy scheme and good user integration - Drupal is great but good luck integrating it with your Vbulletin installation. If you already have a busy forum, your best bet is probably to wait for the upcoming Vbulletin CMS (fingers crossed that they do a good job on that as we still don't have a high level glimpse at how that is going to work).

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Look into Contentteller

Contentteller featuring a flexible content type based content engine with a modern responsive webdesign, support for multiple websites, caching for high traffic websites, progressive web application support, integration with third party products and services, high security with strong cryptography, long term suppor ...
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• kyrgyz
        • Oct 2007

Check out Bitrix Site Manager.

It offers a complete package for community building, ecommerce and corporate site.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

The best CMS is the one that works for you. You'll probably get 100 replies and 100 different answers. Asking what people about the best software is akin to herding cats. They will all go in different directions.

For instance, I think Wordpress is the best CMS currently. In my opinion is easier to install, configure, modify and deploy than Drupal and I believe more flexible out of the box.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Lizard King
            Banned
            • Mar 2004
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            The best CMS is the one that works for you. You'll probably get 100 replies and 100 different answers. Asking what people about the best software is akin to herding cats. They will all go in different directions.

For instance, I think Wordpress is the best CMS currently. In my opinion is easier to install, configure, modify and deploy than Drupal and I believe more flexible out of the box.
            Agreed

Comment

• TomJames
              • Feb 2006
              • 3.8.x

Well if you're looking for something that integrates easially with vBulletin then vbDrupal gets my vote.
              - TomJames

Comment

• ridemonkey
                • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Come on Wayne that's silly. That's like saying a VW Cabriolet is a better choice for a delivery truck because it drives better than a Ford Van. You can certainly determine what group of CMS products will work for a person based on their specific needs. Wordpress is a fantastic product for a blog. Drupal is something completely different. It is much more difficult to setup and configure, but is capable of much more.

Yikes, I'm hoping this isn't the kind of high level thinking that is going into the Vbulletin CMS product

Comment

• ridemonkey
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by TomJames
                  Well if you're looking for something that integrates easially with vBulletin then vbDrupal gets my vote.
                  I think if you look at that a bit closer you will find that this product isn't so great. It is not available for the latest version of Drupal (which has been out for some time) and development is at a standstill.

Comment

• kyrgyz
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ridemonkey
                    Come on Wayne that's silly. That's like saying a VW Cabriolet is a better choice for a delivery truck because it drives better than a Ford Van. You can certainly determine what group of CMS products will work for a person based on their specific needs. Wordpress is a fantastic product for a blog. Drupal is something completely different. It is much more difficult to setup and configure, but is capable of much more.

Yikes, I'm hoping this isn't the kind of high level thinking that is going into the Vbulletin CMS product
                    You completely missed Wayne's point.
                    The "Best CMS" is a matter of a personal choice and personal needs. Which he stated and then expressed his likings.

Comment

• TomJames
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 3.8.x

I think if you look at that a bit closer you will find that this product isn't so great. It is not available for the latest version of Drupal (which has been out for some time) and development is at a standstill.
                      It has been patched recently, it covers the latest version in the 5.x branch, however as you say it doesn't have a 6.x version. However that will, hopefully change, perhaps it'll just skip to 7.x

Either way for most people it's perfectly good, and can easily be removed and divided into separate Drupal and vBulletin installations, should the project be abandoned. At the very least it's a good stop gap until someone else makes a decent bridge comes out for Drupal.
                      - TomJames

Comment

• ridemonkey
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by TomJames
                        Either way for most people it's perfectly good, and can easily be removed and divided into separate Drupal and vBulletin installations, should the project be abandoned. At the very least it's a good stop gap until someone else makes a decent bridge comes out for Drupal.
                        I don't know how its perfectly good for most people when most people deploying Drupal are using the 6 series release.

Comment

• TomJames
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 3.8.x

I don't know how its perfectly good for most people when most people deploying Drupal are using the 6 series release.
                          There are as many modules for 5 as there are 6, infact last time I was hunting for modules for my Drupal 6 deployment I was annoyed to find several modules only had 'stable' releases on 5. The differences otherwise are fairly negligible, and can be compensated for quickly with some added modules.

7 on the other-hand looks to be a marked improvement over 5, which 6 is not. At that point, if vbDrupal does not support 7, it will become an issue. I certainly would not say that the minor improvements in 6 (which can be addressed with a few modules) are worth the loss of (decent) integration with vBulletin.
                          - TomJames

Comment

• Razasharp
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Take a look at MODX - so far I am very impressed by it.

Although I am still a big fan of Drupal - just MODX is a lot easier to style (vB devs may want to look at how they do things too).
                            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• ~kev~
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 3.8.x

Currently, I am liking wordpress non-integrated with anything. I modify my wordpress themes and remove the comment areas, disable comments and ping back on all articles and disabled new members.

VBulletin is then installed in a /forum subfolder.

I'll start a thread on my forum, wait a couple of days and then post a more in depth article on the wordpress site.

Wordpress also has some really easy to use SEO features right out of the box.
                              survival gear forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...