Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cigarette
    • May 2009

I don't understand twitter at all.
    My friend writes everything she does like breakfast supper and everything that she does that day.
    Why don't people just email each other. I just don't get it at all unless you are promoting a product or a band on tour or something like that.
    Utterly pointless nonsense in my humble opinion.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Hard to email a few hundred people from your cellphone. Imagine the people that have 10,000 or 100,000 followers.

Twitter is great for site promotion. Get people to follow you, tie your site's RSS feed into the account, and sit back. Much easier getting answers to questions as well. Toss your question out into the internet and bam you get a lot of responses.

Don't really do the broadcast every minute of my life but you can learn about your followers through their tweets and use that to broaden your online experience.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

How do you tie your RSS into your account

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
          How do you tie your RSS into your account
          Twitterfeed.com

If you're using vBulletin I believe there are a couple of addons for this as well. Twitterfeed takes RSS feeds from multiple sources though.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Tweak96
            • Jun 2009
            • 3.8.x

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
              • May 2008
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Twitterfeed.com

If you're using vBulletin I believe there are a couple of addons for this as well. Twitterfeed takes RSS feeds from multiple sources though.
              can this be done without a modification by placing the RSS feed of your forum into twitterfeed.com ?

I remember reading that vbulletin has this feature (RSS feed of your forum)?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

I just use the built in external data provider and give twitterfeed my RSS2 link.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Kier
                  Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                  • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Hard to email a few hundred people from your cellphone. Imagine the people that have 10,000 or 100,000 followers.

Twitter is great for site promotion. Get people to follow you, tie your site's RSS feed into the account, and sit back. Much easier getting answers to questions as well. Toss your question out into the internet and bam you get a lot of responses.

Don't really do the broadcast every minute of my life but you can learn about your followers through their tweets and use that to broaden your online experience.
                  Although I have to say that I would prefer people register separate Twitter accounts for their sites rather than attach site feeds to Twitter accounts with personal names.

I have had to un-follow several people whose (apparently) personal accounts bombard me with auto-generated site-related tweets. If I want to follow website.com, I'd look for a Twitter account identified as such. I guess all this stuff will work itself out eventually.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

I've just done the same myself this morning, I'm only following people who I'm interested in following like certain people from here, or other people who add me that run the same Movie Related sites, or are fans or movies etc.

I've just removed about 60 people an hour ago. As well a movie guy who's been hitting me with about 100 auto updates a day. There is nothing more annoying in twitter than to see a "lonnnngggg" list of tweets from one same person all the time, day in day out.

The tweet programs you can install that tweet (every single new post, and every single reply made) for WordPress and Forums, just make them look like spammers. I've even removed vBSetup now, as they were geting that way with there SITES FOR SALE tweets.
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 15 Jun '09, 10:29pm.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Kier
                      Although I have to say that I would prefer people register separate Twitter accounts for their sites rather than attach site feeds to Twitter accounts with personal names.

I have had to un-follow several people whose (apparently) personal accounts bombard me with auto-generated site-related tweets. If I want to follow website.com, I'd look for a Twitter account identified as such. I guess all this stuff will work itself out eventually.
                      To be honest, if I want to follow a site, I will subscribe to their blog and forum rss.

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                        • May 2008
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop
                        can this be done without a modification by placing the RSS feed of your forum into twitterfeed.com ?

I remember reading that vbulletin has this feature (RSS feed of your forum)?
                        any of you super smart people mind helping me set this up?

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                          • May 2008
                          • 3.7.x

Comment

• Dream
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 3.6.x

twitterfeed.com only puts one most recent entry in the first time its run.

is there any other way to populate a twitter account with the first 1500 entries? no im not spaming, im gonna put a link to it on the website, and who wants can follow it, so technically it's not spam.

edit: on a side note, that would create 1500 entries on someone that starts following now... hm. maybe not a good idea...
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

I would imagine your going to have to add them one by one. Even if you was able to dump 1,500 tweets in one go - I'm pretty sure twitter would detect that as mass spamming and ban you in a flash

Comment

• Dream
                                • Mar 2001
                                • 3.6.x

I read they have limits on number of posts now too. Guess I'll have to start with just the new stuff.

edit: gonna rss the new stuff and feed it the old stuff bits at a time, as my content doesnt lose importance with time. now gotta wait for twitterfeed, it's taking a bit of time, way past the frequency setting.

edit2: wish twitter had a multi account interface.
                                Last edited by Dream; Tue 16 Jun '09, 7:02am.
                                Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...