Are you on Twitter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Yes, customers find me on twitter, I just had a Photoshop job in February and doing vBulletin customization work in March and April, and also found some new good friends to Skype with and get a conference with 10 to 14 people going where we talk about things tech, or just whatever is current. And my friends just keep track of me and I am more in contact with them because of it. Instead of them hearing things afterwards. And in regards to vBulletin, I found a lot of pirated and nulled sites promoting themselves, so gathered those up and reported them to piracy.php. And every time I have a question regarding hardware/software/technology/websites/ or whatever I can't just find 123 in google, I get DM responses or @replies with the answer within minutes.

I get something out of twitter, and I hardly spend time putting time/resources into it. Something my blog can't offer me, or a portfolio page, or a forum once in a while.

I can see why some people can't get anything out of it - not even enjoying reading what certain people or friends are up to. Just because someone likes the xbox360 doesn't mean everybody does. It applies to everything.

Comment

• Removed-836727
      Banned by User Request
      • Apr 2006

For me its a nice service.

You can stay up2date if you are following to "good/right"(sorry, don't know the right word for it) tweeter.
      Specialy i like the yui tweets because they write which sites are using yui so you can check the code and get some nice ideas and let you inspire.

Comment

• Eric33
        • Apr 2008

I can't even log in lol.. "To many tweets" ATM.

Still love how they pay celebs for promotion heh. I hear constantly from celebs.. "I''m on twitter I'm on Twitter.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Eric: this is my friendly request for you to stop trolling.

From your first post it's clear you're not interested in the site, yet every 2 posts is you telling us how much it sucks the donkey kong. If you don't like it, stop using it. This is a thread about people who are on twitter, those who are not can express opinion surely, but not every 2 posts; saying the same thing over and over again == trollin'

Comment

• Eric33
            • Apr 2008

just seems the amount of uber work put into a good site isn't worth it. A site like Twitter comes along and becomes an overnight sensation, because people can put up quick comments on what they are currently doing.
            I do not see the innovation in Twitter.. It's a simpler, quicker Myspace if anything.
            Geez how many ways do people want to stay connected?.

Not trolling, but will take note however.. if people make millions on a site like Twitter, then I'm quitting my job and selling cheesecake on a cheese web site. lmao.

Comment

• dkon26
              • Jul 2007
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Eric33
              Not trolling, but will take note however.. if people make millions on a site like Twitter, then I'm quitting my job and selling cheesecake on a cheese web site. lmao.
              You might want to keep your day job.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

The difference is that they see the potential, the innovation, and the means, they understand web 2.0 and the social and how thing work these days, and you just want a visual image that goes " register rich.org and you get this pile of money " <--- that's not how it works. These guys behind twitter know what they are starting, and have a business plan and know where to take it. Just because you don't see the current todo list doesn't mean they do not have one. The same goes for myspace / facebook / digg / vbulletin / and sitepoint / etc web site.

If you know what you are doing, have a business plan, have the funding, and have the contacts, you can invest into a site that has potential to grow, and you can start at point 1, deal with the growth and improve over time while working on taking everything to the next level.

It honestly isn't just throwing a site together and hoping people will come.

It actually surprises me how little people can think outside of the box. I can imagine them getting snoopdogg on for a set amount of money, to grow the registrations quick, and work with the snoopdogg company that has a deal with perhaps blackberry, to get twitter in a music clip where he tweets out ' party at snoop tonight ' and it actually shows the blackberry and the tweet later online. Monetizing things like that will boost sales, spreading of the music video, improving following and sales for snoop, and the twitter network grows. The third party companies understand where this might go and how they can benefit from it and also put money into twitter and equal sort of deals. At this point .. the end user has seen 0% ads, and yet people are making money. This is just a quick example of what I can come up with. Imagine what they can do in a brainstorm meeting when they're talking to companies like Nokia, Music and Movies industry, hardware companies such as Apple and Blackberry, etc.

Getting Ellen on - is smart - she has a following and within months she grown to over half a million followers. She props it in her program, they come to twitter, these people all inform their friends they're on twitter and watch ellen. .. how can people not see the monetizing potential here.

Selling cheesecake on myfuncakes.com can become huge. But you must know the market, the target audience, have the money to invest and the funding to grow it. And must know how to monetize it in the long run and become 'the' cheese site on the web. Don't forget, venture capatilists give a specific amount of money to start ups, because they understand from the 15 to 20 investments, only 5 might get through to second round, a million investment in 20 sites, where the second round they can spend another million on just 5 sites. And year later if 1 becomes popular, they earn their 10m back (overkill example). A VC understands not to just support or invest 1 start up. They spread their risk, and gamble with low risk on the potential hits. And that's even how Google started, few guys with a paper with ideas going to ask for x million in funding to get google off the ground. Same happens with twitter. There are already 4 search engines, why start a google? Look at google now \: that's why.

Their innovation is that you can populate the content of the site and exploit the social by taking it offline. It is a feature that everybody with a phone and WITHOUT a phone can do 24/7 - and the strong API permits that despite already being in contact with ppl on facebook and myspace, there's no need to get them connected again. The API allows the twitter data to go to third party sites. Info those users would not get because this person doesn't use myspace that often ... now gets the twitter info of that person and knows more than they would otherwise. It's a plus, not a con.

I hope that explains it a bit more.

Comment

• Eric33
                  • Apr 2008

Yes it does explain it better, Floris..thank you.

I have promoted my Sedo parked domain intangiblelove.com on a few other sites and my income so far is 2.60 in almost two weeks lol. Pretty cool though that I will potentially recover my domain registration fee of 10.00 in about a months time.
                  I am selling that domain though... The "love and relationship niche is not for me.. I thought it was, but not now. Thinking about doing something with local campgrounds, we have mant=y in our area. Put together a list of them, contacts, pictures, resources..ect ect.. basically all you want to know about that camp ground. So far I see no hint of such a site in my area. Promote the site by news paper, internet, and putting up bulletins on actual bulletin boards in the area. Oh and of course a VB message board to compliment the site... green and earth tones...

I could gain revenue by asking the camps for a small fee for every customer that camps there?.. The work I would need to do is collect extensive information about each site, get proffessional pictures(updated reguarlly) and keep up with camp fees and regulations.

One central place on the web that list extensive information about over 60 camp grounds here in NY. People visiting from other states would find it very useful.

I see what you are saying though... it takes work and lots of it... I was surprised to see Myspace was originally a small buisness that built websites for buisinesses... now it is a place where anyone can create a buisiness website or personal page(themselves).

Comment

• Eric33
                    • Apr 2008

BTW.. www.lovingyou.com is my inspiration. I know the founder of it and she's been doing that site since 1996. She is currently partnered with SheKnows.com.

I believe she makes money selling gifts and getting online stores business traffic. She has Adsense too, and daily updated content.

Still running VB 2.0 though lol... Word was said an upgrade is coming, but haven't seen anything yet.

Comment

• pk698
                      • Apr 2003

I just joined now. heard about for quite a long time but never checked it out till now. looks interesting. never thought that knowing what others are doing at the moment can be so... addicting? if that's a proper word for it.

Comment

• Nick
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 3.8.x

I have finally got around to creating a Twitter account. Have at it: www.twitter.com/MarinerNick

I've followed quite a few of you guys who have posted in this thread.
                        Regards,
                        Nick

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Following you too now

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                            Following you too now
                            Same here.
                            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.8.x

You have to watch it on Twitter, you get talking to people on there, next thing you know you're 2 hours late lol..
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Nick
                                • Feb 2008
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                                Same here.
                                Originally posted by Floris
                                Following you too now
                                'Preciate it.
                                Regards,
                                Nick

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...