Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Andreas
    Twitter confuses the hell out of me ... I really don't understand its purpose.
    Your not alone, believe me!

I do use it (but only for site promotion) reasons. Apart from that I see no other reason for using it really, and it makes me laugh sometimes when you see a person posting something like (hello twitter "or" I've just has my breakfast), with no link included that might lead to an article they've wrote. Just posting a stupid random comment like that for the sake of posting something on twitter.

I just can't get my head around why people post nonsense like: "Hello Twitter" (as though it's human).

Another thing that makes me laugh is when people add you, then you add them back. Then they send you a PM asking you to message them from your mobile phone (HELLO DO I LOOK THAT STUPID). I always send them a reply back saying: "You send me a PM from your phone instead" - then block them!!!

Twitter becoming full of spammers these days, most of the people who add you, only do so to spam you 50-100 links a day. But then I guess I'm doing the same...
    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 12 Jun '09, 11:41pm.

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Really? I haven't had that problem - yet. I follow only those who I recognize either from here or somewhere, so I'm not following nearly as many as are following me.
      Peggy
      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
        Twitter becoming full of spammers these days, most of the people who add you, only do so to spam you 50-100 links a day. But then I guess I'm doing the same...
        That is why you look at their stats and updates before following them yourself.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gray Matter
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
          In my experience, spammers are dealt with quickly on Twitter. If one follows you, just block them. Other people will do the same and the Twitter folks will see quickly that something's wrong. Often times I'll get an email about a new follower and when I click on their profile link, I get the "This account has been suspended" message. And if I don't and it is a spammer, I just click block, and then approve it. Two clicks, not inconveniencing at all.

And as Wayne said, spammers are not a problem to you directly unless you actually opt to follow them.
          Twitter

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Here's my blog on how to deal with spam on twitter:

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

I have used that method to report spammer back to them. A bit ago I added a person who added me. Then later I was getting about 50 messages a day posted on my Twitter from him so I stopped following him and also blocked him as well. But is messages were still getting through to my acount.

So I reported him.

Comment

• peterska2
                • Oct 2003
                • 3.7.x

Guess I should add mine to the list...

Comment

• hitmancode47
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 3.8.x

Is twitter like a blogging utility? i went on it and all i found was a page of nonsence i guess?
                  Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                    Is twitter like a blogging utility? i went on it and all i found was a page of nonsence i guess?
                    "Microblogging"?
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Dream
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 3.6.x

Seems twitter didn't crash today, only some third party apps.
                      Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Floris
                        Here's my blog on how to deal with spam on twitter:

http://mrfloris.com/twitter/how-to-r...am-to-twitter/
                        I just click on the gear icon in Seesmic Desktop and choose "unfollow". That is how I deal with spam on Twitter.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                          Twitter will never replace blogging. Each post is limited to 140 characters.

It's basically a 'party line' of crisscrossing text messages between people. Folks update the world on their lives and others reply.

If you want to 'direct' one of your comments to another person's post on their twitter page, then you can 'tweet' to them. It will show up on your twitter page. And if you view their twitter page full public conversation, I believe your post will be mixed in there as well.

Because of the size limits of each post, if you want to post a URL, you shorten it with http://bit.ly/ (the new tinyurl.com) and if folks are posting a photo or snapshot, they post it at twitpic.com which is twitter's sister site.

I will tell you that reading and following a Twitter 'conversation' on Twitter.com is actually a pain in the ass. There are several Twitter desktop clients which make it a lot easier to follow conversations.

I never thought I would use Twitter because I've never constrained myself to 140 characters. My typical blog post is 2/3 of a page. But then you have to get into a mindset to post on a blog (most folks just keep putting off sitting down and writing a 'good' blog post which is why most blog pages are updated every 3 months).

Twitter you are forced into this box of 140 chars, so folks will post to it when they're standing in line, at a restaurant, waiting for public transit (or a limosine -- celebs and movie stars seem to like Twitter), in between gigs, just goofing off, etc. It's not all Shakespeare but it's a solution to 'dead blog syndrome'.

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Well I had a bit of a clean-out the other day, got rid of a load of people.

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                              • May 2008
                              • 3.7.x

twitter is going to verify accounts, good move.

Breaking business news covering marketing, I.T., ecommerce & emerging trends like electric vehicles, solar energy, financial tech & space.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop
                                twitter is going to verify accounts, good move.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ified-accounts
                                They've been verifying accounts actually. Imposters rarely last more than a day once reported. This program is just a way to make money where I can pay to have a graphic on my page that says "Yeah, I am who I say I am."

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...