• Show
Clear All
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DoE
    that translates to work,
    Eggsactly!

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DoE
      No to Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, or anything else I need to update/interact with on a fairly regular basis. Only because I feel obligated to update them with something, and for me, that translates to work,
      Your loss... Though if done properly, being on Twitter and/or Facebook can translate to income as well. Updates aren't hard to do.. Click a button here or there. Maybe type some text, click send. You never even have to visit their webpages as there are dozens of IM style clients that support interfacing with the webservers.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DoE
        No to Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, or anything else I need to update/interact with on a fairly regular basis. Only because I feel obligated to update them with something, and for me, that translates to work,
        I used to think so too, til I got a few design jobs - one from MySpace, one from Twitter and 2 from LinkedIn.

Now I don't discount them.
        Peggy
        ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• DoE
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Your loss... Though if done properly, being on Twitter and/or Facebook can translate to income as well. Updates aren't hard to do.. Click a button here or there. Maybe type some text, click send. You never even have to visit their webpages as there are dozens of IM style clients that support interfacing with the webservers.
          You can't lose what you never had. My computer time is spent on my site's template, or trying to assist new members here. When not doing those two I'm outside building something for my backyard.

Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart
          I used to think so too, til I got a few design jobs - one from MySpace, one from Twitter and 2 from LinkedIn.

Now I don't discount them.
          Sounds like they will take away from the three B's I hold dear: Beer, BBQ, and Beer. I can't take the chance on losing one of those three things, not even for a moment,

Comment

• VictoriaH
            • Feb 2009

No twitter, no facebook, no My Space no way & no need but each to their own .
            ~Experience the experience no labels required~

Comment

• mentornz
              • May 2009

I do have a facebook page, but much prefer twitter.
              Last edited by Zachery; Sun 24 May '09, 10:16am.

Comment

• Kier
                Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                • Sep 2000

I don't really understand how people can say Facebook is better than Twitter, or Twitter is better than Facebook. As far as I'm concerned, they are hugely different and really not comparable either in the functionality they provide or the demographic they serve. Personally, I make use of both.

Comment

• Mazinger
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Kier
                  I don't really understand how people can say Facebook is better than Twitter, or Twitter is better than Facebook. As far as I'm concerned, they are hugely different and really not comparable either in the functionality they provide or the demographic they serve.
                  Yeah, I agree with your point. It's like saying Youtube is better than GMail or something or vice versa.
                  $post[signature]

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by DoE
                    Sounds like they will take away from the three B's I hold dear: Beer, BBQ, and Beer. I can't take the chance on losing one of those three things, not even for a moment,
                    Oh trust me, I use both Twitter and Facebook and I make damn sure they don't take any of those away from me.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• p90q12
                      • May 2009
                      • 1.1.x

VB News

Fullowing you all. And I am: http://www.twitter.com/p90q12

Comment

• Chelf12
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kier
                        I don't really understand how people can say Facebook is better than Twitter, or Twitter is better than Facebook. As far as I'm concerned, they are hugely different and really not comparable either in the functionality they provide or the demographic they serve. Personally, I make use of both.
                        I can see why. It's hype. Twitter is just the next big thing. I have both a Facebook and a Twitter.

I use Twitter to post the occasional announcement about my site. I don't care who adds me on Facebook. As long as they aren't "Jenny Fox" or a spambot like that, I'll more than likely approve the request.

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                          • May 2008
                          • 3.7.x

question: how does Twitter make money?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop
                            question: how does Twitter make money?
                            They don't at this time. Their funding is from Venture Capital and they have been working on the technical aspects of the system up until now. They say they have some ideas for making money and should start putting them in place by the end of this year though.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                              • May 2008
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              They don't at this time. Their funding is from Venture Capital and they have been working on the technical aspects of the system up until now. They say they have some ideas for making money and should start putting them in place by the end of this year though.
                              any speculation what that might be?

I wonder how much they have spent until now. server/bandwidth costs alone most be well into the millions.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                • Aug 2000

Speculation: Advertising, Search Services, Intranet Messaging via their API, custom solutions.

As for the money so far, it appears to be $55 million invested in the company since 2006.

Twitter's funding is not that high for the volume so they can monetize it fairly easily. Compare it to Facebook ($716 Million in funding) or MySpace ($580 million buyout). Twitter could probably sell right now to Google for $500 million but than the service would go downhill.

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...