X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarthek
    • May 2006

Why vbulletin.org is still on 3.6.x?

It seems very odd that vbulletin.org is still on (very) old version of vB.

I wonder why? Because of hacks? Templates? Or style?

If vbulletin.org can't keep up upgrades up-to-date because some of above reason, that say how much difficulties have others with keep upgrading.

[Sarcasm] Oh wait, maybe they didn't renewe the licence [/Sarcasm]
  • MrNase
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.8.x

Why don't you ask them: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7 ?
    That's the end of that!

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
      • May 2008
      • 3.7.x

there were some threads about the subject on the board but they were closed.

frankly, I really dont care what version they use

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
        • May 2008
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by MrNase
        not sure that will last long lol

Comment

• Sarthek
          • May 2006

Hmmm, I tried to search and there was link from closed thread to another which was obviously deleted.

I don't know why it should be closed. Aren't we allowed to chit-chat here as well as sending feedback and wonder what's going on?

Comment

• King Kovifor
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Sarthek
            Hmmm, I tried to search and there was link from closed thread to another which was obviously deleted.

I don't know why it should be closed. Aren't we allowed to chit-chat here as well as sending feedback and wonder what's going on?
            They were closed and linked to a single thread on the subject.

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
              • May 2008
              • 3.7.x

those guys closed threads quicker then any forum I've ever been on. tight ship is run over there in the non hack/style forums....from what i've seen anyway.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

It seems very odd that vbulletin.org is still on (very) old version of vB.

I wonder why? Because of hacks? Templates? Or style?

If vbulletin.org can't keep up upgrades up-to-date because some of above reason, that say how much difficulties have others with keep upgrading.

[Sarcasm] Oh wait, maybe they didn't renewe the licence [/Sarcasm]
                There wouldn't be a license issue.

vBulletin.org has multiple reasons why it can't just upgrade. One of the reasons can just be 'if it works, it works'. It's not mandatory for them to run the latest code. Lack of time/resources can be another reasons. Making sure updates + custom code works, has to be properly tested before going live, etc.

Comment

• Dilly
                  • Mar 2005

Why does it even matter?

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

It's obvious why, quite a while ago they started to change the sites design very heavily, and started adding new code so the site would function better for them. It would be a real nightmare now for them to try and upgrade.

And it's no use them changing the version in the footer now either, because the lack of new features it wouldn't have, that the new vBulletin version does have which can be seen by members, would be a dead give-away their still actually running an old version.

I agree also, what does it really matter anyway. As long as they advertise mods for the latest version on the site etc.

It's this site that supposed to keep with the latest version. Not vB.org. Anyway, with all these increased releases planned for vB4, each with major code changes taking place in each release. They would be plum mad to do so, they would be doing nothing but hacking the site 24/7 - fixing problems every-time a new version comes out to make their sites mods work again. And the staff their are volunteers, so you can expect that kind of work and involvement from them.
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 31 Jan '09, 5:06pm.

Comment

• Chousho
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Irony if VB.org eventually becomes so heavily modified that it barely resembles a Jelsoft product, save in name. Of course, that was a comment on the potential future, not actuality.

I do find it a bit funny that the official add-on site doesn't run the latest version, as well. While it might not be the reason, it could give a flavor of "can even an official site not be upgraded without a hassle?" to users looking to buy it.

In reality, I don't care what version they're on. If they have the site working how they want it, go for it. It's not like all of us use hacks, anyway.

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

I think the only part I would agree on, is how other people will view the fact that vB.org doesn't run the most up-to-date forum software. While vBulletin says it's not an official site as such. The truth is, it is really! And most people see it that way too - as being vBulletin official mod site.

So to a certain degree, that site will reflect on vBulletin.com. People may join that site first to check-out the user features, not having a clue their nothing like whats in the latest version. And decide not to buy it...
                        Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 2 Feb '09, 3:43pm.

Comment

• Rene Kriest
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 3.7.x

"Folks, buy 3.8. It is such a great masterpiece of code. It is so cool that we do not use it!"

3.6 was forum only software while 3.8 is community based software.

I doubt that hacks/addons are the problem as well as template changes. Some of the vb world's best coders are working there - excuse me, that's not the problem.

So what's the real reason vb.org didn't upgrade so far?

It is a strategic issue. How does 3.8 support your interests: Would the usage of groups (3.7 feature) make sense to vb.org in the first place? I highly doubt it. Since there is no simple on/off switch to get rid of this feature they have no need to upgrade because they do not need any new features that came along with 3.7/3.8. (vb.org doesn't want to feature AdSense ads aswell - another irony. )

Does vb.org needs blogs? Well, no. Project management? Maybe, maybe not.

Short: vb.org lacks a strategy to make 3.8 work for them - and that's totally lame. How can you dare to sell a product, praise its advantages compared to elder versions - and do not use it? That's hypocrisis folks - and it stinks.

A company that doesn't use their latest products themselves simply s**k. How can you be trustworthy under such circumstances if you do not support your own products? This issue stinks.

Comment

• Dilly
                            • Mar 2005

I don't get why you're so worked up to the point of tears about this.

The official vbulletin site, vbulletin.com DOES use the features that the latest version has to offer. Why does the modifications site need to utilize the same features, when they make absolutely no sense for the site?

You want them to implement things that they do not need, just so that a version number at the bottom of the site can change? Seems to be your issue, not theirs.

Comment

• Sarthek
                              • May 2006

From my personal view, I bought vB AFTER I completly checked vbulletin.org for mods I would need, community cooperation, and of course vbulletin.org itself.

I did check vbulletin.com as well and post in presales forum, but vbulletin.org made my choice.

Anyway, I don't really care how others (new) members look at it, that should be devs problem, I do however question it, why is still on such an old version, as it in my view shows that is not upgraded on regular basis, no matter how new addons affect the site.

It seems odd and I want to know why.

People who don't want to know why it's their problem, but I am curios - simple.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...