Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harmor
    • Aug 2003

Ever feel like you got shocked?

Have you ever been lying down and out of nowhere it feels like you body just been shocked?
  • DoE
    • Sep 2007

As you fall asleep? I read that this sensation of a "jolt" can and does happen to a few people on occasion as they fall asleep. From what I read it is normal.

If it is while you are completely awake, it sounds like a pinched or damaged nerve.

Slightly off-topic: the largest shock I received was 34,000 volts; took me about a half hour to quit vibrating afterward,
    Last edited by DoE; Thu 15 Jan '09, 6:03am. Reason: no shock smilie

Comment

• harmor
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DoE
      As you fall asleep? I read that this sensation of a "jolt" can and does happen to a few people on occasion as they fall asleep. From what I read it is normal.

If it is while you are completely awake, it sounds like a pinched or damaged nerve.

Slightly off-topic: the largest shock I received was 34,000 volts; took me about a half hour to quit vibrating afterward,
      Yes. As I fall asleep.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Happens to me all the time. It could be a precursor to Restless leg Syndrome.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
          • May 2003

It happens to me, not often though.

Happened a lot when I was younger when I'd just slip into sleep and in my dream I fell in a hole or something like that.

The "fall" would make me jolt and wake up.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Razasharp
            • Feb 2005
            • 3.7.x

I think this is normal - it is between a wake and sleep state, I can't remember now but I'm fairly sure I read it is when your body has not quite shut down for sleep, but it thinks it has... if that makes sense!
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• ComputerVitals
              • Oct 2005
              • 3.8.x

I dont have that but the joints on your vertebrae, sometimes I'll move an odd way just before falling asleep. The vertebrae will touch and send a shock/massive pain up my spine.. Hurts like hell. Good thing that the pain doesn't last long, a few seconds.

Why do these vertebrae touch? I have a degenerating and hardening disk in my lower back. But now my new doctor has me on a non narcotic muscle relaxant. This is nice. I fall asleep and dont wake up at night..

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

It is a sign of developing "restless leg syndrome" as Steve said, which is uncontrolled electrical activity to different parts of your body.

Magnesium deficiency can also cause Jolt/Surges.
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• AVC
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Yes, every time I think of my ex-girlfriends it happens to me, then I think that my dad would slap me if he saw all the hot chicks I let slip away !!

Comment

• Kinneas
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I get it sometimes when I'm dozing off. I normally "dream" I'm walking, and then I stumble. That's when I get the "jolt".

I think it's fairly common.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kinneas
                      I get it sometimes when I'm dozing off. I normally "dream" I'm walking, and then I stumble. That's when I get the "jolt".

I think it's fairly common.
                      Yeah the whole falling in dream thing happens occasionally.

Comment

• Redseal
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by DoE
                        How did you come into contact with 34kV? Pretty impressive you survived, fault currents are 34kV are fairly large.
                        I love lamp

Comment

• AVC
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 3.5.x

I've been shocked that the American people did not convict Cheney and Bush for 8 disastrous years that ruined the entire world economy !!!

Comment

• ComputerVitals
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Redseal
                            How did you come into contact with 34kV? Pretty impressive you survived, fault currents are 34kV are fairly large.
                            35,000 volts isn't all that much. Anyone that has been shocked by a coil pack or spark plug on a car can have that much voltage.
                            Voltage isn't the thing you need to worry about. Amperage is where it's at!

Comment

• DoE
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Redseal
                              From one of three very large charging coils of a Long Range Radar modulator cabinet. It just went through my arm so it wasn't that bad,

A friend of mine got nailed with 25000 volts but with a lot more current. It threw him about 40 feet through the air. He ended up in the hospital for a few days but survived.

The worst I seen was a co-worker that wore a gold chain around his neck but tucked into the front of his shirt. It fell out of his shirt when he was working, hit a bus bar and melted into his neck. He needed surgery to remove it. It is why technicians should never wear jewelry when working.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...