• Pozei
    • Jan 2009

He is lying, I am the killer.

Comment

• Vile
      • Jul 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dean C
      This post felt more like an advertisement for the software of a friend, than a review.
      I can't say I'm surprised about all the responses, with all the "hardcore" Jelsoft supporters here, but Josh actually came across the site/CMS by accident, after trying dozens of them to find a good one, so this is actually not the case.
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Vile
        I can't say I'm surprised about all the responses, with all the "hardcore" Jelsoft supporters here, but Josh actually came across the site/CMS by accident, after trying dozens of them to find a good one, so this is actually not the case.
        I'm not a hardcore Jelsoft supporter by any means
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Cromulent
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.8.x

Not entirely fair. I stated the reasons why I didn't like it with no hint of fanboyism. In fact I took the opportunity to say the same thing for the Jelsoft CMS.

I'm sure it is a very capable CMS I just don't think it is particularly well suited for media based sites.

Comment

• eJM
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.8.x

And he asked the question in a forum dedicated to the support of vBulletin products, which is populated with vBulletin owners. Owners = supporters. Then to top it off, he asked the question in the off-topic forum of the site, which is generally considered the playground of a website's more avid supporters.

The cards were stacked against him to begin with. Then he posts links to sites that prove the integration isn't what one would expect of a fully integrated CMS - most notably should be that the theme of the website would be carried throughout. It doesn't. The developer even recognizes that "some themes" (most) are incompatible and has recently released a number of extensions that make the product do what other vB CMS' already do. It appears that this wonderful CMS ManagerJosh wanted us all to see really isn't much different than a couple of other products on the market already (can you say Drupal).

If Josh was looking intently enough for a CMS, it was no accident that he ran across Contentteller. It's just another in a long line of products that claim to be the answer we've all been looking for. The fact is, it's not. It's not because an awful lot of us have either already found the answers we were looking for, or are patiently awaiting the one truly integrated product from Jelsoft itself. And Contentteller will never have a substantial market share of CMS' for vBulletin because it either makes more work for the webmaster looking for the easier solution, or is way more product than most vBulletin owners need.

It's not a matter of "hardcore" Jelsoft fans, it's about being reasonable in what you bring to the Jelsoft community.

Jim
            If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
            www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• simsim
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.6.x

By looking into the sites published in the first post, I don't seen anything that can't be done using vBAdvanced or vBDynamics. Actually this CMS looks like a re-write of vBAdvanced as a stand-lone PHP CMS!
              You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Caddyman
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.6.x

vBa ftw, at least over this, i do anticipate what Jelsoft will be coming up with though...
                PA Forums
                Philly Sports
                Delaware Online

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Originally posted by ejM
                  And he asked the question in a forum dedicated to the support of vBulletin products, which is populated with vBulletin owners. Owners = supporters. Then to top it off, he asked the question in the off-topic forum of the site, which is generally considered the playground of a website's more avid supporters.
                  And which question would that be?
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Cpl Punishment
                    • Dec 2003

2 cents

Just to chime in and put my 2 cents where probably no one wants it. Dissing this app without using it is non-sense.

I run a couple of pretty high volume news content sites and have been beta testing this CMS for sometime. Some of our sites we have already moved to ContentTeller CMS the rest will be done soon. (1st quarter 09) It may not have the huge community some CMS’s have – but the code is solid, secure and efficient. I trust it, and I don;t even trust my own mother.

If you are familiar with current CMS’s the learning curve is not bad. Design time is minimal for the first run of things I did one site in about an hour maybe 2. But most importantly the system itself is made specifically for news content sites, by someone who knows news content sites.

Are there other CMS’s that are bigger or do things very well- Absolutely. But if content is what you are into then all the tools are in ContentTeller that you need to build a killer site that has a lot of neat tools.

Pointing out there are other alternative - Good.
                    Saying it doesn’t work for what your site does - Good
                    Saying it won’t be as good as a mythical app in the future – Your purgative, Nostradamus.
                    But insulting a damn good app, calling it names just show you either have no idea what you are talking about, haven't tried it or you are shill for the man. Either way it is not fair to to program or programmer.

BTW, to the gentleman who said he wouldn’t pay for it. The product is OpenSource.

I now return you to your regularly schedule programming.

Comment

• eJM
                      • Sep 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                      And which question would that be?
                      Pardon my error. I believe you and Vile knew to what I was referring:

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                      ... I'd argue it's the CMS killer and the first nail against vBCMS.

Vile and I have been both playing around with it for the last two weeks, and I'd have to argue we were both pleasantly surprised and what it packs.

... But overall, I'd argue this is the CMS 90% of us could use. ...
                      Your misuse of the term "I'd argue" not withstanding (how can one argue whether you are pleasantly surprised or not - only you would know), your invitation to debate (argue) the value of the product was the questioning of the reader's values and their agreement or disagreement with your review.

But so far, you haven't done what you promised - argued your position.

Jim
                      If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                      www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cpl Punishment
                        BTW, to the gentleman who said he wouldn’t pay for it. The product is OpenSource.
                        More to investing in something than the cost of the software. For instance, support from the developer isn't free. There is a price tag. Time for implementation and customization isn't free. Lot of things can add to the cost of implementation
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Vile
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
                          Not entirely fair. I stated the reasons why I didn't like it with no hint of fanboyism. In fact I took the opportunity to say the same thing for the Jelsoft CMS.

I'm sure it is a very capable CMS I just don't think it is particularly well suited for media based sites.

My comment was intended to be a general statement about how people here generally respond to threads about other products here, and rightfully so in many cases, as this is a forum dedicated to Jelsoft products. No where in my post did I refer to you, or anyone else as a "fanboy" and my post was certainly not directed at you personally.

Maybe it wasn't approached in the best way, but I think the point of the thread was simply to point out some options to others, since many people here often look for a CMS for vBulletin. Take as you will, but I think that's what Josh was getting at with his thread.
                          Last edited by Vile; Thu 8 Jan '09, 4:05pm.
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• eJM
                            • Sep 2004
                            • 3.8.x

If you are still able to edit your post above, Vile, I would appreciate it if you would edit it to show what I said and not confuse people with something I did NOT say. Your quote of me is incorrect and includes statements made by Cromulent. Please fix it.

Jim
                            www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Vile
                              • Jul 2002
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by eJM
                              If you are still able to edit your post above, Vile, I would appreciate it if you would edit it to show what I said and not confuse people with something I did NOT say. Your quote of me is incorrect and includes statements made by Cromulent. Please fix it.

Jim
                              Edited, sorry, did some copy/pasting there and messed up the quotes, as I was going to reply to your statement as well.
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by eJM
                                Pardon my error. I believe you and Vile knew to what I was referring:

Your misuse of the term "I'd argue" not withstanding (how can one argue whether you are pleasantly surprised or not - only you would know), your invitation to debate (argue) the value of the product was the questioning of the reader's values and their agreement or disagreement with your review.

But so far, you haven't done what you promised - argued your position.

Jim
                                The term 'I'd argue' is a point of debate or challenge, a statement, not a question.
                                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...