Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Meet the vBCMS Killer - Contentteller

I've probably been one of the biggest proponents of a vbCMS platform for the longest time. It's probably the next step in terms of building a community.But I've finally gotten fed up with the delays, the silence and procrastination of the CMS.

Granted what Freddie has shown us recently is awesome, and spectacular, I'm afraid it's months off before we will see anything remotely in beta where we could use.

Plus as I'm sure it is the case for many others, there have been key instances where we've needed a CMS this past year because of new titles or subjects and we've pretty much missed the boat because we've been sitting around waiting for something.

As I've noted a few weeks earlier that I've found a killer application.

Last month, I came across a brand new CMS called Contentteller. It's an open source CMS under the GNU/GPL Licensing. After a few moments of playing with it, I discovered it to be pretty much almost the CMS I need. Plus, I'd argue it's the CMS killer and the first nail against vBCMS.

Vile and I have been both playing around with it for the last two weeks, and I'd have to argue we were both pleasantly surprised and what it packs.

It's an awesome CMS. While rigid to a certain extent, it's a very versatile CMS. With one system, I can design and manage multiple unique websites. Plus it integrates (yes integrates) with vBulletin's systems. It takes advantage of the vBulletin's user system and works in conjunction with the vBulletin user system while not creating any additional user records.

I love the fact the most that I can manage and build multiple unique websites, have unique styles, yet use one common interface to distribute information. Say for example I have a news item that matches two topics on two sites, I can post it once and it will appear on both sites. No more copy/pasting a news piece twice.

Plus I love how comments for news are pulled from the forum threads created after submission.

My only main criticism would be that it's user handling is a bit clumsy. You still need to create users to administrate the site, but it's a bit clumsy. The system could use a lesson in terms of usergroup management and admin permissions from Jelsoft.

But overall, I'd argue this is the CMS 90% of us could use. It's powerful, it can manage multiple websites, and best of all it integrates well with vBulletin.

Plus there are a few nice addons available to download over at vBulletin.org too to bring together the integration process even closer.

Check out what a few nights of work has produced.

I urge you those who are looking for a decent CMS to consider Contentteller. It's a very decent system and I think it's going to hard to beat. At this current point in time, I'd highly recommend Contentteller to all vBulletin owners

Contentteller featuring a flexible content type based content engine with a modern responsive webdesign, support for multiple websites, caching for high traffic websites, progressive web application support, integration with third party products and services, high security with strong cryptography, long term suppor ...
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment
  • KW802
    • Jul 2003

It's a bit early to start proclaiming anything to be a "vBCMS killer" when the public hasn't even seen it yet let alone there even being a published spec list.
    [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Redseal
      • May 2007

This was a joke right?
      I love lamp

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Redseal
        This was a joke right?
        No.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• FreshFroot_
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

Are you refering to vBulletin's upcoming CMS as vBCMS? Because, there is already a product called vBCMS from vbdesigns.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
            Are you refering to vBulletin's upcoming CMS as vBCMS? Because, there is already a product called vBCMS from vbdesigns.
            Jelsoft's upcoming CMS...sorry if i wasn't more clear.

Comment

• eJM
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.8.x

I couldn't tell if it was integrated into your forums at all. But what I did see what that the home page and the forum pages look like 2 completely different sites. That seems to me all part of integration. If it doesn't integrate with the theme too, it isn't integrated.

I'm not particularly impressed, especially in that your pages load awfully slow.

Jim
              If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
              www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Cromulent
                • Oct 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by eJM
                I couldn't tell if it was integrated into your forums at all. But what I did see what that the home page and the forum pages look like 2 completely different sites. That seems to me all part of integration. If it doesn't integrate with the theme too, it isn't integrated.

I'm not particularly impressed, especially in that your pages load awfully slow.

Jim
                Felt reasonable snappy to load to me.

I would just be concerned that the CMS in question does not have many media (specifically video) features. I really really hope that the Jelsoft CMS will have lots of features for those with media heavy sites.

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

This post felt more like an advertisement for the software of a friend, than a review.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• eJM
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
                    ... I would just be concerned that the CMS in question does not have many media (specifically video) features. I really really hope that the Jelsoft CMS will have lots of features for those with media heavy sites.
                    I'm sure you (and others) aren't forgetting the large mods community that will no doubt take up any slack left by vBulletin. I'm pretty sure it will be such that it warrants its own section at vB.org.

Jim
                    If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                    www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by eJM
                      I'm sure you (and others) aren't forgetting the large mods community that will no doubt take up any slack left by vBulletin. I'm pretty sure it will be such that it warrants its own section at vB.org.

Jim
                      I think he was referring to ContentKiller.

I downloaded it. All in all it looks like a good prototype but its way behind any of its competition that is currently available. It isn't something that I would invest money in. Especially when there are better quality free/semi-free solutions out there.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• eJM
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        I think he was referring to ContentKiller.
                        Yes, I know. I was making a comparison. Even though the vB Team hasn't released a CMS yet, I am very optimistic that it will be a much better and more viable solution than ContentKiller, especially given its mods community.

Jim
                        www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Cromulent
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by eJM
                          Yes, I know. I was making a comparison. Even though the vB Team hasn't released a CMS yet, I am very optimistic that it will be a much better and more viable solution than ContentKiller, especially given its mods community.

Jim
                          Oh I don't disagree. I was just using the post as an excuse to put my wishes across for the new Jelsoft CMS. I do think media support is a vital part of any modern CMS system.

As for the CMS discussed in this thread, I do like the simple look.

Comment

• Razasharp
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Thanks for the heads up Josh - will take a look.

From my perspective, I'll want to know whether it can power websites like popsugar.com, playfire.com or coolspotters.com etc, and that's also what I'll be judging vB's own CMS on.
                            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                              • May 2008
                              • 3.7.x

I came across this on vb.org if anyone is interested

vBulletin Extensions for Contentteller CMS (extended integration)

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200367

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...