I'd like to start a 3rd board, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChicagoPhotoShop
    • May 2008
    • 3.7.x

I'd like to start a 3rd board, any ideas?

hi all,

I know some are going to get pissy about this question but I'm just curious as to some ideas for another board.

I have 2 already, one for Chicago+Photography and one for my college, ASU. (Class '02)

I do this just for a hobby with the hope of any active community and maybe some ad clicks here or there. I'm not looking to get rich but I'd like to start another board. I feel like my first 2 were good practice but I really don't think they will ever be huge communities.

what are some categories or ideas for larger boards?
  • golfer adam
    • Mar 2005

Pick something you are interested in e.g. possibly a sport or something. To be honest nowadays it is tough to come up with a forum that is going to turn into a big board, most things have already been done. Your best chance is that if something new comes out that is very popular e.g a new xbox then starting a forum on something like that could be successful.

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
      • May 2008
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by golfer adam
      Pick something you are interested in e.g. possibly a sport or something. To be honest nowadays it is tough to come up with a forum that is going to turn into a big board, most things have already been done. Your best chance is that if something new comes out that is very popular e.g a new xbox then starting a forum on something like that could be successful.
      thanks golfer. thats kinda why im stuck lol I've made 2 boards of things I am interested in. chicago/photography and my college. I suppose I could expand my photograhy board but its kinda hard to do. my domain is rather chicago photograhy specific so its hard to expand into a general photograhy board.

i was thinking maybe a board for the gphone but there is already a decent size board out there.

I was also thinking maybe an "adult" board. not because I was to be a smut peddler but because it would definetly have a good amount of traffic. but just the thought of doing that creeps me out.

Comment

• cheat-master30
        • Jun 2008
        • 3.8.x

How about a board for people who want ideas on what topics to start a board based on? Seriously though, the amount of times these topics come up here and on various tech related forums is a tad silly, and probably shows you're being a bit quick at trying to start a new forum without having a related interest to start it about. Maybe look around online, think a bit, and think of a topic you really like that either has no forums, or no forums you like about that subject, and start your 3rd board on that subject.
        DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
          • May 2008
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by cheat-master30
          How about a board for people who want ideas on what topics to start a board based on? Seriously though, the amount of times these topics come up here and on various tech related forums is a tad silly, and probably shows you're being a bit quick at trying to start a new forum without having a related interest to start it about. Maybe look around online, think a bit, and think of a topic you really like that either has no forums, or no forums you like about that subject, and start your 3rd board on that subject.
          come on man, no need to be snide. you could have simply just not replied.

Comment

• cheat-master30
            • Jun 2008
            • 3.8.x

Had to get to this topic and say that before someone else did, as happens every single time this kind of topic comes up. But never the less:

Maybe look around online, think a bit, and think of a topic you really like that either has no forums, or no forums you like about that subject, and start your 3rd board on that subject.

Or in other words, no one on an internet forum will have a list of great forum ideas to share with everyone, and they won't be things which you're probably interested in, making success rather lower in chance.
            DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

One basic consideration is to choose a subject that you are very interested in. If you are, then you will have a lot to offer and will be more motivated in making it succeed.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                • May 2008
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                One basic consideration is to choose a subject that you are very interested in. If you are, then you will have a lot to offer and will be more motivated in making it succeed.
                thanks Steve. I was just hoping for a few ideas to help me brainstorm. speaking of, I havent seen you on my board yet. ASU alumni!

www.sundeviltalk.com

Comment

• ~kev~
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 3.8.x

The first thing to starting a forum is being able to pick a topic that really interest you. Some of the most successful forums I have ever seen are either politics, sex, diseases or conditions. One depression forum I came across awhile back was as busy as a bee hive.

But you have to pick a topic thta you will be able to stay with for a long time.
                  survival gear forum

Comment

• ChicagoPhotoShop
                    • May 2008
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ~kev~
                    The first thing to starting a forum is being able to pick a topic that really interest you. Some of the most successful forums I have ever seen are either politics, sex, diseases or conditions. One depression forum I came across awhile back was as busy as a bee hive.

But you have to pick a topic thta you will be able to stay with for a long time.
                    thanks Kev. like I said before, I started 2 forums that I have very high interest in. sure I have more then 2 interests but maybe not so much to warrant a forum.

but thank you for the suggestions. thats the type of brainstorming I'm looking for. politics is a great idea, I certainly have interest in that, or at least debating it. I might research that.

edit: wow there really are alot of political forums. doesnt surprise me, but its certainly difficult to start a new one
                    Last edited by ChicagoPhotoShop; Fri 9 Jan '09, 5:09am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...