Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golfer adam
    • Mar 2005

Xbox - red rings of death!

Well tonight I went to turn on my xbox ( just after buying fallout 3 and a years xbox live membership) and I got the red rings, which I know isn't good. Anyway I couldn't get it started. I got it a year and a half ago. Has anyone had this problem?
  • FreshFroot_
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.8.x

It's why I didn't buy one for Christmas. Gotta wait for the newer ones and hope they are better.

Did you get an extended warranty?

Comment

• golfer adam
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
      It's why I didn't buy one for Christmas. Gotta wait for the newer ones and hope they are better.

No extended warranty, I would be tempted to just get a PS3. Xbox's support is apparently table, i have just found out the same happened to my friends and it took Microsoft 6 weeks to get the console back to him.

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

Should have bought it off Amazon if you're in the UK. They sent me a replacement next day delivery and gave me 30 days to send mine back once I received the replacement, and on top of that covered the delivery cost
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• MrNase
          • Jun 2003
          • 3.8.x

My 360 broke down on December 1st (7 days before the end of the warranty ) and I called Microsoft and UPS picked my old one up. After a week they sent me a completely new unit with the latest motherboard and 1 month of Xbox Live Gold Membership.

It didn't have the ROD though, I just locked up after some minutes of playing.
          That's the end of that!

Comment

• Uneek
            • Jan 2007
            • 3.7.x

You should google "xbox 360 x clamp fix". I have two 360's that had the RROD problem and I did the x clamp fix on both of them.

Good luck!
            www.wirechat.com
            Free Chat Rooms | Forums | Blogs

Comment

• SNN
              • Jul 2006

How many Rings are there?

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.8.x

go for a ps3... it's worth the cash and less hassles.

Comment

• golfer adam
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Uneek
                  You should google "xbox 360 x clamp fix". I have two 360's that had the RROD problem and I did the x clamp fix on both of them.

Good luck!
                  Thanks I will give that a go now.

Originally posted by SNN
                  How many Rings are there?
                  I starts of green then immediately goes to 3 red rings, all red apart from the upper right ring.

How long is the warranty on these things, I got it in early 07.

Cheers

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

xbox.com lets you register the device, and then it will say if you are eligible for warranty and until when. It doesn't matter where you buy it, just check the warranty and call the service number and get it picked up and repaired. Dealing with the store where you get it from is always a horrible experience.

Don't forget the warranty was extended from 1 to 3 years for everybody.

Comment

• golfer adam
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Floris
                      xbox.com lets you register the device, and then it will say if you are eligible for warranty and until when. It doesn't matter where you buy it, just check the warranty and call the service number and get it picked up and repaired. Dealing with the store where you get it from is always a horrible experience.

Don't forget the warranty was extended from 1 to 3 years for everybody.
                      Just found that out about the warrant which is good news. I can't find the receipt though which could be a problem.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                        • Jul 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by golfer adam
                        Just found that out about the warrant which is good news. I can't find the receipt though which could be a problem.
                        Yeah the receipt part is a hassle. I know a lot of people, who chucked it out.

Hope you can get it fixed pal. Also, good to know that the warranty was extended!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                          Every XBOX 360 comes with a 3 year Manufacturer Warranty.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Yves R.
                            vBulletin QA
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Every XBOX 360 comes with a 3 year Manufacturer Warranty.
                            I have a Xbox Elite since Oct 17 and the warranty expires on 10/17/2010 7:59:59 PM. So 2 years for me.

Maybe the 3 years warranty in for some models?

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Possibly.. Newer models shouldn't be as susceptible to the RROD though. The internals have been redesigned for better airflow and cooling to prevent the overheating issue. I doubt it precludes all issues but should make the problem less likely to appear in newer models.

That doesn't mean that stores don't have older models still in stock or that refurbished models are not prone to the issue. Even so, 2 years is a long warranty for a device that is estimated to have an effective 5 year life span. Most electronics have a 90 day warranty with competing consoles having only 1 year warranties.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...