X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Grove
    • Apr 2008
    • 5.5.x

My recommendations in this order:

1. Change the colors/style to be a little easier on the eyes. Specifically, pick two colors, either contrasting or similar, but use color chart or something, don't just pick them at random.
    2. Pay to get a distinctive and memorable logo designed. This could be combined with #1, have your logo designer pick two colors.
    3. Add some content to the site in addition to the forums. Tools, articles, reference material, games-- content related to your topic.
    4. Do what it takes to stimulate some activity on the forums to attract more members. People won't join an inactive board.
    ~~~~~

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Originally posted by sockwater
      4. Do what it takes to stimulate some activity on the forums to attract more members. People won't join an inactive board.
      I do agree with that totally, no offence intended here. But time and time again. I see people here asking what they need to do to get members.

Then when I visit their link, I see they have no content as such posted. Maybe they have a handful of posts to try and get members, then they have gotten bored with adding more, or find it to much hard work and expect other to join and do it for them.

There is no way around it. You have to add lots of content yourself to start with. If you worried about doing it under the same user-name on your forum all the time, create a few accounts and use them to make it look like you have a handful of members posting actively on a regular bases. The bottom line is, people will only join and post something. If they read something they want to reply too. If you have nothing to reply too - nobody will join and post.

This is why a lot of people sell their vB licence later. They think it's a simple case of setting-up a forum, sitting back, and watching the members roll in posting. While they do nothing. Which isn't how it works.

Comment

• tgillespie
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.7.x

Another pointer I would suggest is to get some help. Find some people interested in the subject matter and ask them to help moderate and add content. If you can find some similar sites to yours, spend a bit of time getting to know some of the members. Once you've found some reasonable people, toss them a PM asking if they would like to be apart of your site. Make your selections carefully and never come across as trying to steal another Web site's user base.

Its going to take some considerable work on your part, but the more people you have contributing, the faster things grow.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Profaders
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.6.x

Do NOT enter into link exchange schemes OR display a "link to us" link. Google is cracking down hard on this. If you do, you'll eventually find yourself slapped with a penalty and will be lucky to get to page 10 of SERPs.

Writing good and "unique" content is often an excellent way to get your site further up the SERPs in Google (who have 80% of the SE market) and as a result you should gather more traffic for your principal keywords.

External linking will help to increase your Page Rank (PR) - but be VERY careful who you link to. And if you should reciprocate the link, then that will be cancelled out - so a waste of time.

For more info, go to:

Comment

• Maltair
            • Feb 2009

My forum is only a few weeks only and I getting about a hundred unique visitors each day - each of which is spending an average of ten minutes on the site.

I am using vbSEO, I am creating backlinks, and I am even about to start pay per click, but the main reason people are coming to my site and joining (about eighty or ninety ACTIVE members so far) is because of CONTENT.

My goal is a thousand members by the end of the year and I am certain I will achieve it.

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

Quite a lot of your visitors might be BOTS

Comment

• Gray Matter
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by MDawg
                My forum is only a few weeks only and I getting about a hundred unique visitors each day - each of which is spending an average of ten minutes on the site.

I am using vbSEO, I am creating backlinks, and I am even about to start pay per click, but the main reason people are coming to my site and joining (about eighty or ninety ACTIVE members so far) is because of CONTENT.

My goal is a thousand members by the end of the year and I am certain I will achieve it.
                Don't worry about the member count. IMO it's more important to have active discussions, meaning more threads and posts, than a high number of members.
                Twitter

Comment

• Biker
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by CPOWA
                  So, I set the board up as a political activist site. To make a long story short, nobody seems interested in that either, which simply amazes me.

If there’s anybody out there who would be so kind as to give me some advise or point me in the right direction, I would be deeply grateful.

My board is http://www.changewewant.com/forums/ if you would care to take a look at it.

Regards,
                  Nita
                  1. There are many political discussion boards out there. Your URL, IMO, is controversial and wouldn't attract a wide range of posters.

2. Tried to visit the site and got a "holding" page.

I've been running a global discussion site for almost 8 years now. If you want active discussion, you need to portray your site as one that ALL are welcome to post in.
                  I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• Dean C
                    • Mar 2002
                    • 3.5.x

I'm not saying making your site a success isn't possible, but not every venture works out. It's not possible to get lucky with every website you create
                    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...