X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryT
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.8.x

Offering Ventrilo service

For any of you familiar with the voice program Ventrilo, feel free to use the one I'm paying for and is not being used much at all.

Sometimes when working on sites it is handy to be able to actually talk to the person that may be helping you.

Connection info:
    208.100.40.19 Port: 25106
  • xjuliox
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.7.x

I use my ventrilo server for that purpose to help people with their websites and game servers and also to hangout.
    Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

• Chousho
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.8.x

I usually hop in Vent when gaming with my friends. Usually we sit there in Vent and play DoTa, WoW, DoD or some Half Life mod.

Who do you go for for Vent?

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

I've used both ventrilo and teamspeak when I used to play Freelancer and BattleField online, I like Teamspeak the best out of the two though.

Comment

• Shazzâ„¢
          • Jul 2006
          • 3.7.x

So is this mostly for gaming?
          Sound District

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Thats the idea really, but you can use it to talk to family members who might live abroad etc. As unlike MSN Messenger, the voice clarity is like being on the phone.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by MRGTB
              Thats the idea really, but you can use it to talk to family members who might live abroad etc. As unlike MSN Messenger, the voice clarity is like being on the phone.
              My experience is: that the quality really sucks.
              I use skype instead with my friends, and it's as if they're in the room, and .. with multiple ppl talking, i can actually understand what they're saying. Unlike vert. where it's just a blur of static for me.

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

MMmmmmm, thats funny.

I've used TS mainly when we had a freelancer clan, and about 6 of us used to talk in the same room in-game. For us the quality was always spot-on.

But I never hosted a server, we used to use the GameOn TS free servers.

Maybe you had the quality settings to low. The GameOn TS servers used max settings for quality by default, Plus we all lived in the UK. No more than 400 miles away from each other. And most of us used the same ISP too
                Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 23 Oct '08, 3:12pm.

Comment

• Chousho
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                  My experience is: that the quality really sucks.
                  I use skype instead with my friends, and it's as if they're in the room, and .. with multiple ppl talking, i can actually understand what they're saying. Unlike vert. where it's just a blur of static for me.
                  Hmm, that could be caused by a few factors. I run Vent on native Windows using both the Speex and GSM codecs (depending on what channel/server) and have crystal clear sound. So it might just be a Mac thing.

SIGH, and I'm still waiting for their "Linux version" of Vent. It's been like, what? two years or so?

Anyway, Skype is nice, that is until everything turns into tin can sounds or people lag out.

Comment

• xjuliox
                    • Sep 2005
                    • 3.7.x

On my ventrilo server i can set the voice codec to what ever i want.
                    Attached Files
                    Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

• Chousho
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by xjuliox
                      On my ventrilo server i can set the voice codec to what ever i want.
                      If you right click a channel and go to its settings, you ought to be able to edit the codec used on a per-channel basis, as well.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chousho
                        If you right click a channel and go to its settings, you ought to be able to edit the codec used on a per-channel basis, as well.
                        Only if the administrator has allowed that to be changed. I don't allow channel owners to change the codec on my server. Its all set to Speex.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chousho
                          • Jan 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Only if the administrator has allowed that to be changed. I don't allow channel owners to change the codec on my server. Its all set to Speex.
                          Ahh, that's actually what I had in mind since he mentioned his own vent server.

Also, I agree on Speex. I paid an additional $5 or so monthly for a "high rate" GSM codec, but I did a little hearing comparison between the top Speex and the higher priced GSM and couldn't really notice where I'd be getting my money's worth. Besides, Speex works across platforms; that is, unless Macs are now able to use GSM for it, too.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Chousho
                            Ahh, that's actually what I had in mind since he mentioned his own vent server.

Also, I agree on Speex. I paid an additional $5 or so monthly for a "high rate" GSM codec, but I did a little hearing comparison between the top Speex and the higher priced GSM and couldn't really notice where I'd be getting my money's worth. Besides, Speex works across platforms; that is, unless Macs are now able to use GSM for it, too.
                            They make you pay more money for different codex's ? You might want to find a better vent server. I pay a flat fee for slots, and can use whichever codec/bitrate i want.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
                              They make you pay more money for different codex's ? You might want to find a better vent server. I pay a flat fee for slots, and can use whichever codec/bitrate i want.
                              Same here.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...