Master password for "SFTP, SSH" programs!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remi
    • May 2001

Master password for "SFTP, SSH" programs!

Hi all

All of you are dealing with FTP, SFTP, SSH accounts

How do you keep you password and user names safe (inside those programs)?

I am looking for a way to secure my SFTP programs in case my laptop was stolen.

Kind of an SSH client with a master password.

Any advice please

Thanks in advance
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

so the text file I have would be bad?
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Remi
      • May 2001

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
      so the text file I have would be bad?
      Please, at least avoid online banking

Comment

• BassX
        • Oct 2001
        • 3.8.x

Check out ssh-agent

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

This is how I do it: http://mrfloris.com/security/organiz...t-information/

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
            • Sep 2001

Floris = i may have to try that if it comes in xp flavored.

I used to use excel for a lot of low risk user names and passwords (ie: forums). I liked keepass (which has attachments and catagories) but it doesn't have the ability to add custom fields which is crucial for me as well.

Remi: you may want to look at HDD encryption. My company uses it and you have to enter a password before you can even get past the bios. Without the pass, the hdd itself is useless so plain text passwords wouldn't even matter.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I don't like programs like excell for this, they might render the data by thinking it is a currency or something. RIsk is too high to loose your most important data.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

I use something similar to:
                A Cloud server is a virtual computer that you can rent from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) for some time or purchase it. The cloud has several advantages over dedicated servers because the cloud allows you to rent or purchase a physical computer later when your business needs more computers, and you can scale the machine. A Cloud is usually a part of a larger network that is managed by its administrator. The Cloud Server can be bought from an Internet Service Provider and rented or leased from a third party. Cloud server pricing Cloud server pricing can be confusing

Originally posted by Floris
                I don't like programs like excell for this, they might render the data by thinking it is a currency or something. RIsk is too high to loose your most important data.
                When creating a spreadsheet assign a data type to the entire column. This would prevent it from mis-interpreting the data.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Remi
                  • May 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  I use something similar to:
                  A Cloud server is a virtual computer that you can rent from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) for some time or purchase it. The cloud has several advantages over dedicated servers because the cloud allows you to rent or purchase a physical computer later when your business needs more computers, and you can scale the machine. A Cloud is usually a part of a larger network that is managed by its administrator. The Cloud Server can be bought from an Internet Service Provider and rented or leased from a third party. Cloud server pricing Cloud server pricing can be confusing
                  Now this is very interesting, thanks for sharing the idea

Comment

• pank
                    • Mar 2001

For Mac I use http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

If you are on windows and have office you can create a word document and enter all your logins (I do this as well).

The key is to password protect the file so you nobody can open it without entering the password for the .doc file.
                    Bob- (pank)
                    pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Just a normal excell or word file is fine, but please use truecrypt on the directory, so a ms office document cracker can't just get in within 3 seconds.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...