X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chelf12
    • Jun 2008
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    I have five computers and a Wii on my network.
    Oh wow. Wayne has a Wii? That's news to me.

Anywho, I have Verzion FiOS. It's not too bad. Slow at times, but otherwise, pretty good. Download speed is about 300 KB per second here. Not good, but not bad either.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that anything is better than Dial-up, right?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chelf12
      Anywho, I have Verzion FiOS. It's not too bad. Slow at times, but otherwise, pretty good. Download speed is about 300 KB per second here. Not good, but not bad either.
      I've actually heard a lot of decent things about Verizon FIOS. I'll never purchase it though. As soon as I switch my alarm system to internet based monitoring with cellular backup, I am ditching Verizon forever. That means I will never be there customer again. Their service and support is that bad on my basic phone service that I don't even want to attempt something more complicated with them. Not much to worry about though. The fastest internet access that Verizon offers in my area is 768K DSL. Its doubtful that they will offer FIOS before 2030 (that is a quote from one of their sales people).
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chousho
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.8.x

Oh wow. Wayne has a Wii? That's news to me.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that anything is better than Dial-up, right?
        ... wait, seriously? That's like, what, 2Mbs or so. Are you on a lower plan, or does the service just not "get" that far too well?

Hmm, maybe I should rethink about switching to FiOS when it gets here. Here's my result from TW last time I checked:

Comment

• DJDarknez
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by King Kovifor
          Never hit it. I'd be interested in seeing how much traffic I can get... Any way to track it?
          I use a program called DU Meter. I forget how much it costs, but the only problem is that it only monitors the one computer its on, not everything on a multi-system network.

300KB/s is actually kinda slow. FIOS was supposed to be all about speed, but that's less than half what I get.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

I bought a linksys wrt 54 GL version 1.1 modem, very specific.
            It's a linux os so allows custom firmware, like dd-wrt or tomato.
            I put tomato on it.
            It shows real time and daily/weekly/monthly traffic for all systems.
            Very handy! Since you could have an iphone using wifi, a powerbook using wifi, a mac pro using cable, a dvr linked to the network using cable, and game consoles like x360, neighbour stealing wifi if you have open network, or guest systems on cable/wifi or temporary xbox/ps3 from friends coming over, etc. Checking just one system means you get only a fifth of the true traffic.

Even if you're not a geek, external traffic is a 10fold of what it was 5 years ago, with 700mb game demo's, 700mb HD video podcasts, with weekly OS updates, online multiplayer gaming, youtube movies, trailers, etc, etc.

People thinking that consumers hitting traffic limits are probably pirating constantly . that's very much outdated. Users who pirate do wayyy more, with 1080p bluray releases, p2p networking, 720p HDTV releases, etc, dvd9 games and softwares.

250gb these days is a joke for a lot of people. It's not just for a few select people. Everybody has web sites these days and is making backups, there are a lot of additional reasons why people have a lot of traffic. I listen to various podcasts from twit.tv to legal podcasts, to pixelcorps.tv and revision3.com, and people drop the bomb somewhere saying they have to be very careful now to not get disconnected, because of the business they run, or because of having 5 computers in their home for the kids, etc. And that the ISP like comcast isn't telling them how much traffic they use, just that they're disconnected due to doing more than 250gb.

What is high speed broad band internet.... if you are limited to an average stream qualiing normal dsl speeds. Our Dutch ISP once gave us 4mbit (highest in the country at that time - we now have 120mbit) and a 8gb cap. This means, that a lot of users got disconnected the second day they got upgraded. They downloaded 2 movies (legal in our country) and hit the limit.
            Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...