Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

IPB3 v's vBulletin 3

IPB3 will be with us before vBulletin 4 is out. So I think it makes much more sense to create a "vote poll" to see what people think they would use at that time, when IPB3 gets released first.

1. The current latest vBulletin 3 version (and just wait for vBulletin 4).
    2. Or the new IPB3 when that gets released.
    IPB3
    35.00%
    vBulletin 3
    65.00%
  • MrNase
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.8.x

Why would I switch to IPB3 if I don't even know what vB4 will look like?!
    That's the end of that!

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Thats the whole point of the vote poll.

Will you continue to use vB3, and take your chances and just wait for vB4 to come out (ignoring IPB3).

Or will you decide to use IPB3 instead for the time being, and see what vB4 is like when it does come out (and maybe switch back) again.

The point of the vote poll is the get a general feeling of what people think they will do once IPB3 is with us, and vB4 isn't? Are they going to stay faithful to vBulletin. Or move on over to IPB.
      Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 28 Sep '08, 10:19pm.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

To be quite honest, I don't think it's fair considering we're talking two very similar products at two very different stages of development.

IPB's is about one version generation lower than vBulletin.

So:

IPB 1.x = vB 2.x
        IPB 2.x = vB 3.x
        IPB 3.x = vB 4.x

and so forth...

To compare two products at two very different stages of development is simply biased.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Yves R.
          vBulletin QA
          • Nov 2003
          • 5.6.X

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          IPB 2.x = vB 3.x
          IPB 3.x = vB 4.x
          I agree. Comparing 2 different products which are not from the same generation is completely useless.

This is the same if you compare between PS2 and X360 or PS3 and Xbox....

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Sn2
            • Feb 2002
            • 3.5.x

I'd rather wait it out and compare vB4 and IPB3. The hassle of switching software on a community full of people as technically minded as an orange only to switch it back later simply isn't worth it, especially considering there's nothing wrong with how it works now.

The main thing I'd be looking at between them would be how intuitive it is. On the forums I run that's worth more than having features thrown in everywhere and the users needing a weeks training on it.

Comment

• Lenni
              • Aug 2004
              • 3.6.x

I will stay with vBulletin.
              selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Marco
                • Nov 2000
                • 3.8.x

Unless IPB3 has some sort of killer feature that I must have, why would I switch at all? If I wanted to use IPB, I'd be using it now, wouldn't I?

I really don't understand all this hoohar about new versions of competing products. So what if IPB is coming out with a new version? Good for them. It seems to me a lot of people are considering switching to it just because it's newer. Seriously... not making any sense there. Switching to a different software package isn't something you do unless you have a very good reason to do so. It's time consuming, labor intensive and users will be complaining at all the changes ("But we liked it fine the way it was...!").

So unless IPB is going to incorporate drastic changes that suddenly make it miles better than vBulletin (and looking at their development updates, I'm not sure... plugins/hooks, reputation system, centralized reported content, database read marking... REALLY????!! ), I'm not sure why I should care at all. vBulletin 3.7 works great for us, why change?

Comment

• Lenni
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 3.6.x

True. The people really consider hopping from one software to another probably administer a small forum or just throw it out the window for the sake of changing to a newer solution.
                  selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Greps
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Lenni
                    True. The people really consider hopping from one software to another probably administer a small forum or just throw it out the window for the sake of changing to a newer solution.
                    on the contrary. I have two rather large forums and consider switching to IPB because I absolutely require a system like Converge and a solid Gallery system

Comment

• ---MAD---
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Greps
                      on the contrary. I have two rather large forums and consider switching to IPB because I absolutely require a system like Converge and a solid Gallery system
                      What are the forums about? I don't see why a gallery would be a requirement to be honest.

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

Depends, if you ran lets say a "show us your car" forum. A gallery would be of major importance.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...