Anyone using Custom CMS alongwith Vbulletin ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Miller
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

Computer Chat Anyone using Custom CMS alongwith Vbulletin ?

Just wondering if anyone is using any custom tailored CMS alongwith vbulletin ?

Vbulletin is the best platform for managing an online community and nothing beats vbulletin as far our research goes.. But at same time there are some more requirements apart from busy forums

Have seen many communities large and small using wordpress/drupal/joomla etc. but what about custom CMS ?
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

From what I've seen out there, the only sites that tend to use custom made CMS front-ends with vBulletin. Seem to be large companies etc. I guess because of the price involved in having a custom CMS made. Or maybe they have the staff with coding skills to create their very own.

Your average Joe Blogs here normally uses vBadvanced, or another form of ready made of the shelf CMS like you've mentioned above.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 18 Sep '08, 10:58pm.

Comment

• John Miller
      • May 2005
      • 3.5.x

Thank You for your time to reply, I was looking/researching over some companies who can make CMS's like

download.com
      softpedia.com
      adminspy.com

I guess all of them are 100% custom cms although code looks very similar to drupal.

Comment

• Sn2
        • Feb 2002
        • 3.5.x

I've just finished doing one for my friends site but the only way it's integrated with vBulletin is that it uses the same user table. All it does is list news, reviews and items for sale. It has it's own template system etc. but this is purely so that if for some reason he decides to change forum software it can be reconfigured with minimal effort. It's an unlikely scenario but anything could happen.

Comment

• punchbowl
          • Nov 2006
          • 4.0.x

I tried drupal, wordpress, and vbadvanced but have just recently ditched them all for a custom cms I'm currently building. Nothing too flash just a front end for the info that's contained in the forums/blogs.

Comment

• John Miller
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

I am considering using drupal for a new project.
            punchbowl any specific reasons to ditch drupal ?

Comment

• punchbowl
              • Nov 2006
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by John Miller
              I am considering using drupal for a new project.
              punchbowl any specific reasons to ditch drupal ?
              too complicated for what I was trying to achieve - same for vbadvanced. Wordpress came closest to being used but even that seemed over the top for what I'm trying to achieve.

Basically my site frontpage just drags the last 5 blog entries from the db. No checking is someone logged in, do they have new mail etc - just one mysql query wrapped in a template and that's that. I wish I had tried making a custom cms before wasting so much time trying drupal/wp/vbadvanced.

Comment

• Chelf12
                • Jun 2008
                • 3.8.x

We are currently working on one for our site. It's not too flashy, but I'll get some screen shots when we are done designing it.

Comment

• MidnightPyro
                  • Dec 2001
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by John Miller
                  Just wondering if anyone is using any custom tailored CMS alongwith vbulletin ?

Vbulletin is the best platform for managing an online community and nothing beats vbulletin as far our research goes.. But at same time there are some more requirements apart from busy forums

Have seen many communities large and small using wordpress/drupal/joomla etc. but what about custom CMS ?

Exactly what kind of functionality are you looking for? Things like Drupal tend to do a ton of things, most of which is generally useless to me. If perhaps you mention exactly what you have in mind, people will be able to better assist you in finding something.

Comment

• John Miller
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.5.x

Very good suggestion MPyro.

We are looking for a CMS solution which can be integrated with Vbulletin first.. We want to give our website a corporate look like most of largest websites do today.

anandtech.com
                    tomshardware.com

There is focus is mainly on website.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...