Screen Resolution

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Safari on the iPhone shouldn't have to worry about screen resolution, especially with 10.6 ahead.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by rellek
      Well, I'll most likely never understand why they need such a "handheld"-web, but users are the majority compared to admins :-)
      Most users probably don't browse the web in a traditional fashion with their mobile device. However they probably have applications that allow them to get the information they need while mobile easily. I have maps, weather alerts, traffic information, movie lookups and bank alerts on my mobile phone for easy tracking. Heck, my mobile phone doubles as an RSA token device so that I can log into my online banking when I want.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chousho
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.8.x

Cell phones can be tricky when planning out Web sites. Images are scaled and pages are fit to the phone, however the CSS is sometimes funky and Javascript doesn't always work as it should (if at all).

Maybe this is different on non-Verizon phones, but it seems better to just serve raw data as an XML file to cell phones.

Comment

• KeithMcL
          • Jun 2000
          • 3.6.x

1280x1024 on both PC's.

According to my blog stats 17% of my visitors still use 800x600.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Originally posted by rellek
            Desktop: 1680x1050 (2x)
            Laptop: 1280x800
            Server: 1024x768
            Daddy: 1152x864

I guess at least offering a 800x600-compatble style is a nice gesture as many people want to surf the internet with their cellphone these days...
            Well, I'll most likely never understand why they need such a "handheld"-web, but users are the majority compared to admins :-)
            That's interesting. As my website has a fixed width of 800px, content is less than that, and in cPanel I see hits from from "I-Mode phone (PDA/Phone browser)".

I'm thinking this is a hits from cell phones?
            Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 15 Aug '08, 6:03am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chousho
              Cell phones can be tricky when planning out Web sites. Images are scaled and pages are fit to the phone, however the CSS is sometimes funky and Javascript doesn't always work as it should (if at all).

Maybe this is different on non-Verizon phones, but it seems better to just serve raw data as an XML file to cell phones.
              With Opera Mini, I can browse any site with my Blackberry. Even the default vBulletin style works fine complete with drop downs and the standard editor. I am sure the iPhone works fine. I don't use AT&T's browser for much of anything since it is such a limited piece of garbage. I just don't do general browsing because even with 3G networking, its a lot slower than my PC at home. For quick lookups though its great to have a browser on the phone.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Rik Brown
                • May 2005
                • 4.2.X

Check Your Google Analytics

Google Analytics for our site indicates only 6.95% of visitors are using 800x600 resolution. Everyone else is using a higher resolution with 1024x768 leading the pack at 40.98%. In total, 93.05% of our users are using 1024px screen width OR wider. So we really aren't going to gear our site to the 6.95% (old technology) over the 93.05% (current technology). All our pages are 1000px in width.

All the same, we do hope to have a .mobi format site in the future.

-- Rik

ps: We went to 1000px width about 1.5 years ago after studying the Google Analytics data (in case you are wondering which came first: the chicken or the egg). All the same, we trying to edge up to larger font sizes.

Comment

• kuyenmotdivad
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 4.1.x

1280 x 1024 - but I can go higher but it would hurt my eyes to much.

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

I actually just bought a 19'' widescreen flat panel LCD a couple of days ago to replace an old Dell 17'' CRT monitor I got back in 1998 or something like that. I made the jump from 1024·768 to 1680·1050. Wow, what a difference it makes!

I still have two CRTs left running a minimum of 10:7, but I plan on getting two new systems very soon, both of which come with free 20'' flat panels.
                    Forums

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

who voted they still use 800x600?

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Google Analytics reports that 1,139 visits from people on 800x600 on my web site, covering 2.93%. The rest is higher with 1280x being the most used resolution with 32% - this is from july 17th 2007 until yesterday.

Comment

• Jerry
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 1.1.x

2*16x12.

Though will have a 1920 x 1200 in the mix soon enough, with some Compiz Fusion action I think.
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• SNN
                            • Jul 2006

I currently use 1280 x 800 (laptop's max res), I would be happy to use 1600 x 1200 or anything larger, but my mom sold that monitor D:

Comment

• peterska2
                              • Oct 2003
                              • 3.7.x

iMac: 1920 x 1200
                              Macbook: 1280 x 800
                              Win PC: no idea - but it's probably pretty high (not booting it up just to check the res though!)
                              Win Laptop: 800 x 600 (it's really old - probably 6 or 7 years old - and very knackered. It doesn't come out very often but useful for still having IE6 and FF 1.5 on it)

[edit] and don't forget the iPhone on whatever the standard res for it is.

I used to use a 240 x 160 res a lot too. Yes, that is 240 and 160. I'm not missing any numbers! Now that was fun to use

Comment

• Philipp
                                • Apr 2000
                                • 3.8.x

Office Mac: 1920 x 1200
                                Home Mac: 1680 x 1050
                                iBook: 1024 x 768
                                Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...