Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • y2ksw
    • Jul 2003

Legal Aspects of Retaining Inactive User Accounts Under European Law

This argument may be of interest of forum and blog owners in the European Community.

By starting the article, I'm following a suggestion by a moderator from vBulletin.org, in order to find out the truth and extent of the currently laws regarding in particular inactive users - users who have registered or have started to register, and never posted or completed registering.

This thread is not of interest for forum owners who do not require users to register, or who are keeping their forums in a closed circuit, such as in a LAN network only.

Chapter 1: My turn

When I started to host more than one forum, and in particular forums of other people, I asked my legal consultant to work through, and tell me which laws exactly apply to an activity such as keeping a forum.

He lined out quite a number of rules, and suggested to maintain those forums under the head of a company and not privately, since in case of legal disputes, I generally would have the best advantages.

Regarding inactive accounts, he told me that accounts which never have become active, or users who never had any other activity than logging in and then forget about the whole subscription, would have to be deleted or deactivated (banned) after at most 180 days of the last activity. He stated, it would probably not apply to accounts which have at least one post.

At the beginning of my activity, I have removed or banned those users manually after 90 days, and have later added a plugin to all of my forums which does exactly that.

When I published this plugin at vbulletin.org, the laws stating these rules were asked, and our private discussion has worked out to be of general interest.

This is part of my statements:

Here is it all. Due to being a company holder, I have to follow the standards more strictly than private fellows, but this is also changing soon. Failing to adhere to the rules may result into severe fines, reaching, as far as I rember, up to €30.000,00 and 5 years of prison. This is the main reason why, since the law became active, european spammers have become so rare. The laws regard "user accounts" and "sensitive data" in general.

In order to publish a forum, we are also forced to show a privacy statement, similar to the one you find on my site. To be exact, it should be in the language of the country in which the site is hosted. Since my site addresses mainly international visitors, my personal "free" license was to publish just one in English.

With ongoing legislation, it is probable that forum owners may be only company owners or members of Journalism Guilds, as well.
    The laws we were talking about are generally designed and published by the European Community, here:

The Italian implementation (PDF in English) can be found here:

The laws are pretty complete in those places, but may require other laws, since there are many cross-references.

Chapter 2: Your turn
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

I would suggest that whatever law you are referring to regarding deletion of inactive accounts is nonsense and wouldn't hold up in court.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Razasharp
      • Feb 2005
      • 3.7.x

Additionally, make your terms of use count from simply using the site, not just 'registering'.

My terms of use apply to everyone, not just registered users.
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Users are and should be free to register and not use the account. It is nowhere written in law that an online registered community account has to be used, or you're endangering the content provider (person who runs the site) for being liable to damages caused by this non-using of the account.

It's pure nonsense and I can only see the terms of services of a forum (company owned or not) stipulate "Registration is required for access, inactive accounts are screened quarterly and automatically removed by the system. Users are free to register again after deletion maybe they desire to get a new account." But that's not a law, that's just your ToS to which a user agrees to and your specific forum rules.

Forum owners or users are not and do not have to be a member of any journalist guild either.

Comment

• y2ksw
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Dean C
          I would suggest that whatever law you are referring to regarding deletion of inactive accounts is nonsense and wouldn't hold up in court.
          Yeah, I actually thought that too, but when it actually came to disputes, being able to show I was applying the law saved my skin more than once.

Comment

• y2ksw
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Floris
            Users are and should be free to register and not use the account. It is nowhere written in law that an online registered community account has to be used, or you're endangering the content provider (person who runs the site) for being liable to damages caused by this non-using of the account.

It's pure nonsense and I can only see the terms of services of a forum (company owned or not) stipulate "Registration is required for access, inactive accounts are screened quarterly and automatically removed by the system. Users are free to register again after deletion maybe they desire to get a new account." But that's not a law, that's just your ToS to which a user agrees to and your specific forum rules.

Forum owners or users are not and do not have to be a member of any journalist guild either.
            I'm watching how law evolves and can only say that it will be made more difficult to possess a forum. One of the law proposals was to bind the ownership and responsibility to professionals, and it was also the less objected. Although of course there was a general uproar.

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

Originally posted by y2ksw
              and can only say that it will be made more difficult to possess a forum.
              You can download forums for free like Mybb, phpBB and many more, plus there is also "free" forum hosting out there also.

Can I ask, have you been drinking beer?

Na, but seriously, all these legal matters regarding forums is just OTT (over the top), if you ask me. And I pretty much agree with Dean C. My thoughts exactly!

Also, earlier in this thread you talked about spam, and big fines and imprisonment. I remember a few years ago they talked about something similar regarding spam emailing. But guess what, I still gets loads!
              Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 14 Aug '08, 12:59pm.

Comment

• y2ksw
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MRGTB
                You can download forums for free like Mybb, phpBB and many more, plus there is also "free" forum hosting out there also.

Can I ask, have you been drinking beer?

Na, but seriously, all these legal matters regarding forums is just OTT (over the top), if you ask me. And I pretty much agree with Dean C. My thoughts exactly!

Also, earlier in this thread you talked about spam, and big fines and imprisonment. I remember a few years ago they talked about something similar regarding spam emailing. But guess what, I still gets loads!
                I'm not talking about to possess software - you may possess almost any software you like.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...