• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Internet Brands Conference Call - August 6th

Some key highlights

Second Quarter 2008:

Licensing revenues were $7.2 million for the second quarter of 2008, a 22% increase from $5.9 million in the prior year period, due to continued organic growth and contributions from vBulletin, which the Company acquired in June 2007. This stronger growth is the result of new contracts signed within our Autodata division and, to a lesser degree, organic growth of vBulletin.

First Quarter 2008:

Licensing revenues were $15.8 million for the first half of 2008, a 48% increase from $10.7 million in the prior year period, due to continued organic growth and contributions from vBulletin.

Question and Answers Session:

Yun Kim - Pacific Growth Equities
    Can you give us a status update on how the vBulletin acquisition has been performing? I think it’s been a year. I know you already mentioned that it is doing well, but can you give us any additional color, like any new initiatives besides price increases that you’re planning on to better monetize on the installed base or any other improvements that you could bring into that business?

Bob Brisco
    The growth rate of the business is strong. I would guide you to better then our company wide average. So we’re pleased with how it’s performed since we’ve acquired it in the first 12 months. The bottom line performance I would say is even better still then that. We’ve got as you’d expect very high operating leverage because of the software nature of that business. From the product perspective we launched new features in the first half of the year, a couple of releases in the 3.7 series, they included better blogging tools, much stronger social networking tools and some other project tools with the software kit. Right now we are deep into product planning and requirement development for the next phase of vBulletin which has been going under the project name VB4 (vBulletin 4). We’ll probably come up with something a bit more glamorous then that when we get closer to release.

That’s a longer term project so you won’t see it this year. You’ll see it sometime next year. We haven’t locked in on a release date for that yet. The evolution of that product in four will be the biggest leap that its ever taken in that we’re thinking through and developing our way into a much more robust application that deals not only with bulletin boards and blogging and social media but better content management and better monetization tools and techniques that we think are available with any other software out there.

And as you alluded to, we’re thinking through and modeling right now how we’re going to go to market in terms of revenue model with that and I think the answer will be it will be a hybrid of different approaches the affect of which will be much higher yields from our customer base then we’ve realized so far.

Yun Kim - Pacific Growth Equities
    Has the renewal rate been steady since the modest price increase?

Bob Brisco
    Yes we took the increase in June and we had a good June and July. Yes, it’s holding well overall.

Sources: BusinessWire
    Seeking Alpha
    Webcast

I can be reading too much into it, but it sounds like a CMS is coming
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Wed 6 Aug '08, 11:48pm.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment
  • FlyBoy73
    • May 2002

Bring it on! That would be another nice and needed ad, IMO..

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
      Banned
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.6.x

All I care about is that vBulletin gets it *stuff* together. To keep it clean. Right now it's absolutely pathetic. A complete mess. I hope you guys can fix it with 4.0. Sadly, that won't be for another 2 YEARS

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by BamaStangGuy
        All I care about is that vBulletin gets it *stuff* together. To keep it clean. Right now it's absolutely pathetic. A complete mess. I hope you guys can fix it with 4.0. Sadly, that won't be for another 2 YEARS
        Well the approach has been to make vBulletin that "all in one" swiss army knife. With additional products to focus on specific areas, I think we'll see things being simplified again.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
          Banned
          • Mar 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          Well the approach has been to make vBulletin that "all in one" swiss army knife. With additional products to focus on specific areas, I think we'll see things being simplified again.
          I hope you are right. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Comment

• Chazel
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BamaStangGuy
            You really shouldn't be acting like you know when vBulletin 4 is going to be released. It said in the interview that it's expected to be released next year anyway...

Comment

• Fusion
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.8.x

Nice read, Josh!
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Fusion
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
                You really shouldn't be acting like you know when vBulletin 4 is going to be released. It said in the interview that it's expected to be released next year anyway...
                The keyword here is expected, it can easily be delayed.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Added Sources as requested by others
                  Last edited by ManagerJosh; Thu 7 Aug '08, 12:26am.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Well, I just hope the long wait for vB4 is going to be worth it, and I mean worth it too! Seeing as it's looking like where going to be here this same time next year, with the same question being asked: WHEN?

Personally, I feel vBulletin should now be "dumping" any further development on the vB3 series and putting all manpower into vB4 development for a much earlier release date than currently planned, seeing as IPB3 is just around the corner in the not too distant future (with the sound of things over there). And the fact that your not, and are still messing around with vBulletin 3 series. Makes me feel your not planning a major re-write for vBulletin 4 as a major new version. I just get the feeling you don't have the manpower for a major re-write, and instead vB4 will just finish up being a spin-off vB3.7

I think vBulletin are playing a risky game right now in not trying to keep pace with IPB3, by pouring all resources into vB4 development. When instead, your still messing around with vB3 for some strange reason, giving them the chance to take more and more customers away from vB the longer vB4 is delayed after IPB3 comes out.

What annoys me is this! IPB seem right now to be moving at a blistering pace with their development programs, they've just released a new Shoutbox that doesn't need Java installed to use, there updating all there other products at a frightening pace to come in-line for IPB3. Yet we read above that the company who acquired vBulletin have just made good profits this year (most likely due to price increases, and other new products for sale like the Blog) etc.

Yet still, manpower on development here seems to be no better than previously (worse in fact now seeing as you have more products to update and cover). So why are vBulletin not taking on more developers, thats my big question? A while ago you advertised here that you'd taken on two new developers, one of them left (or you finished him/her), not sure which. And that's about as far as development recruiting has gone. The pace at which things are moving here clearly shows you need developers on-board when compare the speed at which your gettings things done, to IPB's pace of doing things.

I hate quoting IPB, and don't want to seem like an IPB fan boy (because I'm not). I'm just a customer who's watching both sides of the fence and taking in whats happening. And it's seriously making me feel like I might just become and IPB customer the way things are going. I'm just not prepared to wait 1-2 years for vB4 while you still mess around with vB3 series. Plus I hate the fact you seem to not want to give any information away about vB4. For example, will vB4 be "XHTML Strict coding"? Simple enough question, which you should know the answer too as soon as development started from day one on vB4. But I bet you don't give me a straight answer though! Which seems to be the case whith everything here these days.

I like vBulletin, but I do think your now loosing pace a little too fast for my liking these days.

Comment

• Kier
                      Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                      • Sep 2000

If you are asking if vBulletin 4 will use the XHTML 1.0 Strict standard, no, it probably will not. XHTML is a document markup language with little or no consideration paid to web applications. This fact is what has led to the HTML 5 proposal, which is far more geared to interactive web applications.

If you are asking if vBulletin 4 will be strict in its XHTML compliance, and will use fully semantic HTML, separating layout from content, yes it will.

It's very important not to confuse the two questions. Adherence to the XHTML 1.0 Strict standard does not magically produce good, semantic HTML. For example, one can build a page whose layout is entirely achieved using tables and still be in compliance with the XHTML 1.0 Strict standard.

Comment

• Onimua
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by MRGTB
                        Well, I just hope the long wait for vB4 is going to be worth it, and I mean worth it too! Seeing as it's looking like where going to be here this same time next year, with the same question being asked: WHEN?

Personally, I feel vBulletin should now be "dumping" any further development on the vB3 series and putting all manpower into vB4 development for a much earlier release date than currently planned, seeing as IPB3 is just around the corner in the not too distant future (with the sound of things over there). And the fact that your not, and are still messing around with vBulletin 3 series. Makes me feel your not planning a major re-write for vBulletin 4 as a major new version. I just get the feeling you don't have the manpower for a major re-write, and instead vB4 will just finish up being a spin-off vB3.7

I think vBulletin are playing a risky game right now in not trying to keep pace with IPB3, by pouring all resources into vB4 development. When instead, your still messing around with vB3 for some strange reason, giving them the chance to take more and more customers away from vB the longer vB4 is delayed after IPB3 comes out.

What annoys me is this! IPB seem right now to be moving at a blistering pace with their development programs, they've just released a new Shoutbox that doesn't need Java installed to use, there updating all there other products at a frightening pace to come in-line for IPB3. Yet we read above that the company who acquired vBulletin have just made good profits this year (most likely due to price increases, and other new products for sale like the Blog) etc.

Yet still, manpower on development here seems to be no better than previously (worse in fact now seeing as you have more products to update and cover). So why are vBulletin not taking on more developers, thats my big question? A while ago you advertised here that you'd taken on two new developers, one of them left (or you finished him/her), not sure which. And that's about as far as development recruiting has gone. The pace at which things are moving here clearly shows you need developers on-board when compare the speed at which your gettings things done, to IPB's pace of doing things.

I hate quoting IPB, and don't want to seem like an IPB fan boy (because I'm not). I'm just a customer who's watching both sides of the fence and taking in whats happening. And it's seriously making me feel like I might just become and IPB customer the way things are going. I'm just not prepared to wait 1-2 years for vB4 while you still mess around with vB3 series. Plus I hate the fact you seem to not want to give any information away about vB4. For example, will vB4 be "XHTML Strict coding"? Simple enough question, which you should know the answer too as soon as development started from day one on vB4. But I bet you don't give me a straight answer though! Which seems to be the case whith everything here these days.

I like vBulletin, but I do think your now loosing pace a little too fast for my liking these days.
                        I wouldn't keep such a focused eye on IPB development, and then go so far as to say that it they are actually "moving forward." Considering they keep jumping around from project to project without ever really going far one way or another isn't that great; in fact, I think it would suffice to say they go one step forward and two back.

Until they finally release something, then I'd take them into consideration. Even then you'd have to play close attention to what it does and how well, not just on them having it. Otherwise I'll just keep tabs on what they say and only make solid decisions on what they do.
                        Last edited by Onimua; Thu 7 Aug '08, 2:29pm.
                        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 3.8.x

I think everyone is keeping an eye on IPB and their 3.0 release because after all, we all want to offer our communities the best we can.

I think it's only a matter of time now until we find out more information about vB 4.0.

I do not think I will be switching to IPB any time soon however, as I feel Kier and the developers know exactly what they want to achieve with vB 4.0 and have clearly done their research.

Kier has also said 3.8 will only be worked on by one person. The problem that many developers here face is users want more and more in less time which is not really possible. People wanted social groups to be expanded. People wanted PM improvements. 3.8 is not a huge release it seems so it shouldn't take too long to work through although beta stages usually take a while.

I do look forward to hearing more about vB 4.0 as it is after all the release everyone has been waiting for and I am certain it will be better than IPB 3.0 .
                          Last edited by ---MAD---; Thu 7 Aug '08, 1:40pm.

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Onimua
                            I wouldn't keep such a focused eye on IPB development, and then go so far as to say that it they are actually "moving forward." Considering they keep jumping around from project to project without ever really going far one way or another isn't that great; in fact, I think it would suffice to say they go one step forward and two back.

Until they finally release something, then I'd take them into consideration. Even then you'd have to place close attention to what it does and how well, not just on them having it. Otherwise I'll just keep tabs on what they say and only make solid decisions on what they do.
                            What makes you say they have taken 1 step forward, and two steps backwards?

If your refering to the fact they recently did a u-turn on IP Nexus, well according to their Blog (read here): http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=274141.

They did that to pull more manpower back into working on the main products, the forum, gallery, and blog etc. So it all depends on how you look at it really. From my own point of view, I wasn't interested in IP Nexus anyway, that product was more aimed at online businesses use. And who knows, maybe they are just using a smoke screen because it wasn't getting the sales they expected, and thought dump it!

The point I'm trying to get across is, yeah they did make a u-turn on some products. and if I'd have been interested and owned IP Nexus I would not have been happy about it. But I don't own or have any interest in it, much the same way I have no interest in the Blog and Project Tools here, and could not care care less if vBulletin dropped them tomorrow to work more on the forum itself.

Each person has their own way of looking at things. And I don't see that they took two steps backwards, I see they put more resources in the main product for faster updates and delivery.

Comment

• Onimua
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by MRGTB
                              What makes you say they have taken 1 step forward, and two steps backwards?

If your refering to the fact they recently did a u-turn on IP Nexus, well according to their Blog (read here): http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=274141.

They did that to pull more manpower back into working on the main products, the forum, gallery, and blog etc. So it all depends on how you look at it really. From my own point of view, I wasn't interested in IP Nexus anyway, that product was more aimed at online businesses use. And who knows, maybe they are just using a smoke screen because it wasn't getting the sales they expected, and thought dump it!

The point I'm trying to get across is, yeah they did make a u-turn on some products. and if I'd have been interested and owned IP Nexus I would not have been happy about it. But I don't own or have any interest in it, much the same way I have no interest in the Blog and Project Tools here, and could not care care less if vBulletin dropped them tomorrow to work more on the forum itself.

Each person has their own way of looking at things. And I don't see that they took two steps backwards, I see they put more resources in the main product for faster updates and delivery.
                              Oh I'm aware. I do keep an eye on them in case anything interesting does develop. It's not the first (or second) time they've done something like that though, hence my statement earlier.

Good for them they're working on their main product. Hooray. But they also end up moving other people away by saying this, and nothing comes of it. To be honest, I'm not expecting 3.0 to be that "OMG wow" factor.

We'll just see where this goes with vB 4.
                              Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...