Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AWS
    • Apr 2000
    • 5.2.x

And as you alluded to, we’re thinking through and modeling right now how we’re going to go to market in terms of revenue model with that and I think the answer will be it will be a hybrid of different approaches the affect of which will be much higher yields from our customer base then we’ve realized so far.
    Look for a hefty price increase. If I'm interpreting this correctly we are in for a real surprise.
    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Fusion
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.8.x

I was thinking as much when I read that statement, particularly the portion in bold.
      And as you alluded to, we’re thinking through and modeling right now how we’re going to go to market in terms of revenue model with that and I think the answer will be it will be a hybrid of different approaches the affect of which will be much higher yields from our customer base then we’ve realized so far.
      I wonder how, though, because owned licensees should get it for free, unless they strip it bare and re-launch it as a zillion addons, just to get that extra yield.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Well maybe you've seen more happen over there like this than me. Anyway, I was thinking earlier that it's rather an exciting time right now when you think about it. We have both the top forum developers working on complete new version at the same time. Going head to head so to speak!

It's going to be interesting in the future to see how things span out.

Comment

• AWS
          • Apr 2000
          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Fusion
          I was thinking as much when I read that statement, particularly the portion in bold.
          I wonder how, though, because owned licensees should get it for free, unless they strip it bare and re-launch it as a zillion addons, just to get that extra yield.
          They can follow the infopop path. Announce a new awesome product with everything in that everybody has been asking for.

Start developing said product. Once complete announce that this new product will replace the older product and in order to get the new product your need a new license since it so much different and better than the old. The new prices will determined wen the product is out of beta.

A couple months later they post the price which is more than double the current price if you upgrade and triple for new licenses and in the same announcement they say they will no longer support those who choose not to upgrade.

Of course this all blew up in their face and everyone came over to vbulletin.

History has a habit of repeating itself.
          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Kier
            Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
            • Sep 2000

I would personally be very disappointed if Jelsoft were to follow a similar strategy. Thankfully, I don't believe it will.

Comment

• Razasharp
              • Feb 2005
              • 3.7.x

I hope they don't go down the invisionfree route. Hosted communites where they display ads and any tom dick or harry can have a site just like mine, for free.

If that happens I would switch to drupal in a flash.

I don't mind paying more if the product is worth it - so long as there are no freebee competitors.

Aside from that concern, it sounds good
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• 0ptima
                • Jan 2002

Originally posted by AWS
                They can follow the infopop path. Announce a new awesome product with everything in that everybody has been asking for.

Start developing said product. Once complete announce that this new product will replace the older product and in order to get the new product your need a new license since it so much different and better than the old. The new prices will determined wen the product is out of beta.

A couple months later they post the price which is more than double the current price if you upgrade and triple for new licenses and in the same announcement they say they will no longer support those who choose not to upgrade.

Of course this all blew up in their face and everyone came over to vbulletin.

History has a habit of repeating itself.
                Photopost did something similar to vb vbGallery.... double the price but no major features....

Comment

• Mikhailtech
                  • Aug 2002

Gonna post in here so it shows up on my list .. maybe we'll get more insight into a possible CMS in VB4. GARS anyone?

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by AWS
                    Look for a hefty price increase. If I'm interpreting this correctly we are in for a real surprise.
                    I hope your wrong also, as the price has already gone up for the first time this year. And that I would guess only happened because IB now own it and pull the stings on pricing.

Right now some country's are in an Economic Recession, like the UK here, so we don't need these type of extra price increases. But I'll not be that surprised if your right though for vB4, as Internet Brands bought vBulletin for one reason (to make as much money as they can from it). I guess time will tell!

The only saving grace is they'll have to try and match IPB's pricing I would have thought. So we better hope IPB don't also plan to do the same with IPB3 (behind closed doors). As that will be released before vB4. If they increase the pricing, I think we can expect vB4 to follow suit.

I think that quote below says a lot, and gives a clear indication of their future plans. But it could be in the form of extra products, or extra product plug-ins etc. Not necessarily a price increase for the vB4 forum software itself. But the extras it may use like a CMS which people are asking for here. What's interesting though, is they talk about "excising customers", rather than talking about increasing reveue from "new customers". Which means they are planning on either price increases or extra money made from other add-ons.

Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 9 Aug '08, 1:41pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...