X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JUSWANNABALL
    • Jul 2008

Need Help / New To Ownership Of VBulletin

Hi Everyone,

My situation is fairly unique...I hope I can learn a LOT from this board.
    I have been an admin for 12 years or so, but I have never ''owned'' my own site until the last few weeks.
    I know the basics about VBulletin, but I don't know any of the real tecky issues.

The guy I bought my site from is jelous & mad because when he decided not to build his network which we were a part of I picked up the ball & said I would start my own.
    I bought the site & we of course run vBulletin 3.6.4 , we are with IX Hosting.
    Man, it really gets deep, but I'll spare ya from that !

Anyway, now that I own VBulletin is there any special codes or passwords that this guy is supposed to give me ?
    If so & he doesn't come through is there a way I can change the code ?
    All I know is I have the ''DOMAIN KEY'' code, he did give me that much.

Any help you can give me will be VERY much appreciated, by the way...my network is :

Quinn Sports & Life Media
    www.PantherCoalition.com

I plan to have sites for the other 31 teams as well.
    We focus on a LOT more than just football.
    Again, I'm very good on the PC...I am just new to the in depth technical aspects of VBulletin & have nobody to really teach me.
    There are things I want to do, but am about scared to mess with any controls for fear of screwing something up !

Thanks Again, Eddie
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You do not owned the vB license unless the current owner first transfers it to you. Please have the owner fill out a support ticket with this request, That is the only way this can happen.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• JUSWANNABALL
      • Jul 2008

OK, TY very much....I have tried to discuss this with him but he does not reply. He tells me nothing that I need to know.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

It may be that he does not have a valid license for that site or that this license is not eligible for transfer. If he is unwilling to follow-up on this, then you should purchase a license in your own name.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• JUSWANNABALL
          • Jul 2008

TY Again Steve , I will let you know what I find out, I very much appreciate the knowledge.
          He says he owned it, I paid him $350.00 and now he says I own it.
          He said nothing of a transfer ticket, I am waiting to hear from him...he only talks to me through one of my staff.
          Some way for a 45 yr old man to act huh ?
          I'm 45 !

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Originally posted by JUSWANNABALL
            TY Again Steve , I will let you know what I find out, I very much appreciate the knowledge.
            He says he owned it, I paid him $350.00 and now he says I own it.
            He said nothing of a transfer ticket, I am waiting to hear from him...he only talks to me through one of my staff.
            Some way for a 45 yr old man to act huh ?
            I'm 45 !
            Sounds like you've been duped my friend, in other-words you probably paid him for something he doesn't own. Otherwise, the first thing he would have done during the sale was told you, he needs to transfer the licence over to your account here.

The fact that he has not even mentioned it to you, indicates he doesn't own a vBulletin licence and was running the site illegally. One of the easy ways to see if your forum might be a warez copy, is to see if the admin index tells you there is a newer version for download. Most warez versions have this version checking removed by the hackers.

Comment

• JUSWANNABALL
              • Jul 2008

TY MRGTB, It does say there is a newer version to download.
              I truly belive it's legit, he is just giving me a hard time.
              Is there anyone on this forum that has some time to spend with me on site www.panthercoalition.com or through email [email protected] to help me learn a few things I don't know ?

I have questions, but too many to take up this forums time & I really want to learn more.
              If not I understand, just thought I would ask.

I still don't know why he opened a IX Hosting account in my name without me knowing anything about it ?
              I did clear that up, it's all paid for by me.

This is what he said :

As soon as the site propagates away from the old server and to the new server, I will give Eddie all the passwords and login info he needs.

It of course has & I still don't have the passwords & login.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

I strongly suggest you get a license number from him and contact us here so we can check if it's legitimate:

If he refuses to provide it to you, then you are almost certainly being scammed.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...