Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

Computer Chat How do you properly matte images?

So, suppose I want to do a number of CSS color edits to the default vBulletin skin. How do I get the icons to look proper with, say, darker colors? I know they have to be matted, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. And I can't find any useful tutorials. Any tips?
    Forums
  • Gladius
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.8.x

You can't (practically) do anything with the icon set that comes with vB; it's matted to white and looks like crap on any other backgrounds. Whose bright idea that was (not to at least offer a black-mattted set too, or one with transparent background, which would make the most sense) I don't know. Sensibly, the full psd for the icons would be included or offered as a separate download so that everyone could adjust them as needed, but given that vB graphics as a whole are a non-uniform collection of icons and buttons gathered from several sources (=something that you see programmers doing, but not any proper designer in their right mind), that's probably the reason why. I can but hope that Jelsoft employs a proper designer to offer a uniform default set of properly background-transparent icons for 4.0, because what you get by default now is (with a few exceptions), only usable as placeholders until replaced with something else.
    Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

Okay, that's good info and all, but I'd still like to know how to do it with other images. I usually try to make transparent backgrounds, but I can't always do this.
      Forums

Comment

• Gladius
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.8.x

Graphics where you'll be able to do it easily will be prepared in such a way; the norm is Photoshop's psd files. Probably the easiest way to do it is via File / Save for Web. There you'll see a number of options; Matte is one of them.
        Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Chousho
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.8.x

The most ideal way is to save the image as a png with alpha transparency. Gif format really doesn't support different levels of transparency, and leaves you with off-color splotches like you see around the VB icons.

Many people are hoping VB4 comes png by default.

Comment

• Gladius
            • Dec 2002
            • 3.8.x

That would certainly make the most sense.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...