X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flashgordon
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
    I don't allow account deletions, they are ignored most times.. I will ban a username, but banning is my preferred method.
    Why don't you guys allow account deletions?
    It's the right of the users to control their information online.

You might have guessed, I am running an adult board. It might not be that big a problem for a mainstream forum, but on an adult community, I deem it crucial that every account deletion request is immediately handled.

Comment

• RichM
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.0.x

We don't generally delete accounts on request UNLESS they provide a very good reason. We don't get many requests though. (22k members) I don't get why people feel the need to request an account deletion, most people would just stop using the forum.

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

I think if forum admins have no intentions of removing accounts on requests, they should mention it in there forum agreement. I don't think it's really fair to not mention it, and then turn down account deletion on requests later on. Members in that case I feel have a valid reason to feel upset if you ask me. And ignoring account deletion, which forces a person to get upset and eventually get banned because of it if not really the answer (just for the sake of you keeping the post count up). Thats a bit sad if you ask me!!!

For example, Floris mentioned that he ignored account deletion requests. Brian over at vBadvanced has a similar view when being asked to re-name account names, I asked him to re-name my account to "mrgtb", just like I did here and over at vB.org (which was done no problem by both). However, I have been ignored two times at vBadvanced by Brian.

So I don't even go there anymore because of it. Sometimes being more polite is the better option. As now he has a dead account by me over there. Instead of re-naming it (and I would have most likely have stayed active had he done so).

Comment

• Lenni
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.6.x

I think it sucks that you people ignore peoples deletion requests. One can only hope that your website is hosted in a country where ignoring deletion requests of private information is illegal and then get your ***** sued.
          selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Dilly
            • Mar 2005

No, It's not. They post on my forum at their own risk. I protect their privacy, but nothing more.

Comment

• legionofangels2
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by flashgordon
              Why don't you guys allow account deletions?

You might have guessed, I am running an adult board. It might not be that big a problem for a mainstream forum, but on an adult community, I deem it crucial that every account deletion request is immediately handled.
              Originally posted by Lenni
              I think it sucks that you people ignore peoples deletion requests. One can only hope that your website is hosted in a country where ignoring deletion requests of private information is illegal and then get your ***** sued.
              What?

What part of my website that people willingly make the decision to make an account there have any administrative powers or decision making?

You're not forced to register, any private information that is not normally given out such as Social Security Numbers, Credit Card Numbers, are never taken.

You make the choice openly to join any board out there, and your account is then on someone else's website. Of which they are paying for you to either interact upon or leave.

There is nothing to stop you from logging back in if you choose to leave and delete all personal information from your Edit Profile page. In fact you can delete your sig and your avatar as well.

So in all reality there is nothing aside from a User Name and the fact that we know what your IP is and the email address you used to sign up with that is on our websites.

You people made the accounts, no one tied your hands or put a gun to your head. Don't make the account if you don't wish to be a part of a community.

The only way I'd accept deletion requests is if we sent out an annoying email every once and a while, but you can disable that as well through "do not receive emails from administrators".

So you're privacy isn't being violated in anyway, you chose to give information, and there isn't any information to gather from you that anyone could use for personal gain.

As I said, I do delete accounts to free up User Names, but I do it ON MY TIME! Not upon someone else's.

Comment

• Mayers
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.6.x

I run a teen site and it get about 2 - 3 deletion requests a month. Main reason behind them is almost always is because they would told to stop doing something by a moderator. Once they find out they can't get away with whatever they want they end up asking to be deleted.

I will delete accounts on request, but not their posts.
                Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...